• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train drivers - getting permission to video from their cab?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Notice a lot of drivers' eye videos on youtube; some from the UK including trains and tube.

Just made me wonder whether a driver has to get permission from the TOC to do that, and in the pecking order who can give that permission? Would that have to be in writing?

Second point, no doubt much of the footage will come from actions cams attached to some part of the cab; but have any trains dashcams on them as standard (maybe if they go through notorious areas or dangerous open crossings) just in caste there's a dispute? Ever been used?

Thanks for any first-hand experience! Mods - no idea which section to ask this!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Second point, no doubt much of the footage will come from actions cams attached to some part of the cab; but have any trains dashcams on them as standard (maybe if they go through notorious areas or dangerous open crossings) just in caste there's a dispute? Ever been used?

Thanks for any first-hand experience! Mods - no idea which section to ask this!

Some units now have Forward Facing CCTV and yes, it does get used frequently.

Crossover

Established Member
I don't know what stock has forward facing CCTV fitted as standard but lots of stock seems to have it retro-fitted. In the past week alone I have noticed it on a few sets, mainly a Grand Central 180 (the front cab was very lit well by sunshine and the CCTV is very visible at the secondmans side!)

pdeaves

Established Member
You would need permission from the company involved to film. The chances are you would be issued with a cab access pass and a 'chaperone'. Forward facing CCTV as others have stated is increasingly common. I doubt the image quality would match what you would expect to see in a 'drivers eye view' video.

Bromley boy

Established Member
I'd imagine a lot of it is simply filmed "unofficially" from a go pro camera, or similar, set up in the cab.

It's probably a breach of many TOC's electronic devices policy but I can't see it doing any harm as long as it isn't a distraction and isn't impeding the driver's field of vision.

Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
All most all of the Netherlands is now on Youtube with sound. Only 1 trainingsvideo is without sound.

skyhigh

Established Member
You would need permission from the company involved to film. The chances are you would be issued with a cab access pass and a 'chaperone'. Forward facing CCTV as others have stated is increasingly common. I doubt the image quality would match what you would expect to see in a 'drivers eye view' video.
Indeed - the footage I've seen isn't brilliant, but it's good enough to work out what's going on. It gets used fairly regularly - fatalities, level crossing incidents, trespassers are just some of the reasons it might be downloaded.

I think Northern units might be getting it as they go through refurbishment, but don't quote me on that.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
I can't actually imagine sitting and watching one of these full videos.

Now get a nice sped-up clip - London to York in 10 minutes, that would be more fun.

Bromley boy

Established Member
That reminds me a couple of years ago there was a YouTuber who posted a load of southern/GTR cab videos which I found quite interesting, knowing the routes quite well.

Sadly they vanished around the time the DOO dispute kicked off. That’s probably no coincidence as he’d have been subjected to endless abuse!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

Now get a nice sped-up clip - London to York in 10 minutes, that would be more fun.

I actually prefer the real time speed videos; the only real issue is getting a free slot in which to watch them without being interrupted.

takno

Established Member

I've watched a few on double speed to spot signals, and they do get surprisingly addictive. I do find myself wishing YouTube had a quadruple speed option though

Groningen

Established Member
Over 3 hours; no problem: Maastricht - Alkmaar; to be honest i let it play in the background, but i played it from begin till end.

Howardh

Established Member
I know someone, ahem, who loves to sit next to his telly with a nice glass of something and pretend he's on the flight that's being shown filmed out of the window! No names, like.
Perfect length to watch on an actual train journey!
In my ideal world, every seat train would have a screen facing you that showed either the view from the front of the train or at least a live map of where you are. The latter is probably covered by your mobile phone in the same way as real time trains; but has anyone followed a map on their phone?

Howardh

Established Member
i imagine most of it isfilmed on the sly ;)

Each to their own but these videos are quite dull imo.
Can't be worse than the dumbed-down over-loud advert-infested TV programmes today! Over the holiday I didn't watch one TV broadcast, save for some skiing and biathlon on Eurosport, the vast majority was youtube or my own home-made videos. I'm glad of people who put their window-views online, as I am glad of the live webstreams you get that can be stared at when I'm at a low ebb. Here's one I love, reminds me I'll be back there one day... https://ibiza-style.com/webcam/ and this one in Amsterdam http://www.amsterdam-dam.com/webcam.html

alxndr

Established Member
The latter is probably covered by your mobile phone in the same way as real time trains; but has anyone followed a map on their phone?

I don't do it for whole journeys, but quite often watch our progress on either Google maps or OpenTrainTimes (or similar).

takno

Established Member
I know someone, ahem, who loves to sit next to his telly with a nice glass of something and pretend he's on the flight that's being shown filmed out of the window! No names, like.

In my ideal world, every seat train would have a screen facing you that showed either the view from the front of the train or at least a live map of where you are. The latter is probably covered by your mobile phone in the same way as real time trains; but has anyone followed a map on their phone?
Absolutely, on traksy. You don't think I drew all those maps for other peoples' benefit do you?!

Status
Not open for further replies.