• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train fire at Worthing 19/11/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainmania100

Established Member
Worthing herald reporting a train fire at Worthing, 313 by the looks of it but you never know with the pictures they use

Firefighters arrived at the scene just after midnight to put out a fire on a train on the eastbound platform. Southern Rail said the incident caused all lines to be blocked until the end of the day.

This caused disruption between Brighton and Littlehampton. Firefighters brought the flames under control and, according to National Rail, trains are continuing to run normally this morning (Friday, November 20).

There were no reports of any injuries. A spokesperson for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “Joint Fire Control received a call to a reported fire on a passenger train at West Worthing railway station at 11.54pm on Thursday 19 November.

Three appliances and the heavy rescue tender were mobilised from Worthing Fire Station to the incident.

The on scene commander liaised with trackside rail staff and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using Co2 extinguishers and high pressure hose reel jets. The incident was handed over to Southern for recovery of the train.”

Hope not too serious

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
I don't think there are many stock photos of train fires - I'd say that the pictures are of the actual incident.

Looks like a fair bit of damage to some underfloor equipment - hopefully no structural or severe smoke damage

Townsend Hook

Looking at Traksy I’d guess that it’s the ‘DUD’ in Worthing loop this morning, presumably awaiting onward movement to Lover’s Walk. Can anyone confirm?

Attachments

• 25C1639D-5D37-4181-986B-C3DE47BA692A.png
    25C1639D-5D37-4181-986B-C3DE47BA692A.png
    472.3 KB · Views: 203

aleggatta

Looks like the main contactors have gone up! Might be a little while for the control wiring to be renewed!

fgwrich

Established Member
Oops. When I read line closed "Due to Emergency Services Dealing with an Incident at Worthing" last night, I thought it was my colleagues dealing with another (sadly) fatality. Thankfully not, but I didn't expect it to be that!

Looks like the main contactors have gone up! Might be a little while for the control wiring to be renewed!

I wonder if it will be renewed? The 313 Coastway fleet hasn't had the best of luck with Southern of late and perhaps, through a shuffling of Thameslink / Gatwick & Southern services, a electrostar may be found to replace it? Rather unfortunate that all the GN Fleet has been sent to the bin though.

RichardKing

Worthing herald reporting a train fire at Worthing, 313 by the looks of it but you never know with the pictures they use

Hope not too serious
https://twitter.com/brightonsnapper/status/1329703268931563520 - the photographer is on Twitter (Eddie Mitchell) and has uploaded 3 more photos, 2 of which show the damage.

The train was at West Worthing platform 2 when it caught fire, just after terminating off Brighton and ready to work an ECS to Bognor.

1Z99 consists of the 313 taken off 2C77 SEF-BTN last night. I'm assuming they're making 313220 safe to move, before being dragged dead up to Lovers Walk.

EDIT: as a side note, someone commented on Twitter that 313220 suffered a similar incident almost exactly 8 years ago at Fishbourne, but that time the fire was due to the unit 'welding its line breakers shut'.

Deepgreen

Established Member

Hope not too serious
Certainly the actual incident - the chances of there being several stock photos of a train fire that happen to fit the criteria exactly are negligible.

Bow Fell

I’ve had similar with 507/508’s, bus line fuse or a shoe fuse blow.

I’ve even had quite a bit of smoke when a res fan has gone, if it’s similar it shouldn’t be a long term repair.

Edit: Having looked at more photos, that’s a bit of a mess!

big all

On Moderation
I could be miles out but sounds like 5mp timing that sounds like "handbrake speed "?

Its now over 30 years since i trained on southern electrics not including 313 but including 455/6/319.

'in emergency when no choice usually into a terminal from last stop with through brake and control not available in all the train and without going back or boxing in option

You could proceed at a maximum 5mp with a second driver or competent person to apply the emergency usually parking brake if division takes place to bring the problem portion to a safe stop??

Last edited by a moderator:

Fincra5

Established Member
I’ve had similar with 507/508’s, bus line fuse or a shoe fuse blow.

I’ve even had quite a bit of smoke when a res fan has gone, if it’s similar it shouldn’t be a long term repair.

Edit: Having looked at more photos, that’s a bit of a mess!
I walked passed it tonight in Lovers walk! Its quite a state down there. Plus the flames burnt hole into the passenger area, it seems...

Not sure what kinda repair job it will be or whether it will see another kinda flame soon...

AY1975

Established Member
This is the diagram for 313220's move from Worthing to Lovers Walk - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/75022/2020-11-21/detailed. The journey is planned to take 3 hours (departing WRH at 02:00 and arriving at Lovers at 05:00), so it's clear the unit (and the rescue unit) will be travelling at a much reduced speed.
Does anyone know which service 313220 was working or had just worked when the fire broke out just before midnight? The ECS move wasn't booked to leave WRH until 02.00, unless it was running early.

Crossover

Established Member
Does anyone know which service 313220 was working or had just worked when the fire broke out just before midnight? The ECS move wasn't booked to leave WRH until 02.00, unless it was running early.
Possibly this service?

The service stood at Worthing for the best part of a day before being moved

aleggatta

23:05 2U76 would be my bet on the affected unit. The service from London would have been 377 operated, and was cancelled between Worthing and Bognor, with the 2305 almost certainly being a 313 as its a stopping service. Also worth remembering the 313 was initially alight at West Worthing, and was only moved to the loop at Worthing to clear the line ready for the next days service.

BRblue

23:05 2U76 would be my bet on the affected unit. The service from London would have been 377 operated, and was cancelled between Worthing and Bognor, with the 2305 almost certainly being a 313 as its a stopping service. Also worth remembering the 313 was initially alight at West Worthing, and was only moved to the loop at Worthing to clear the line ready for the next days service.
Correct... it was due to make an ecs move to Bognor as 5K76 before it went up in smoke.

bramling

Veteran Member
Shame it didn't consume the whole thing. Useless hunk of junk

I don’t think a train which has managed to last 40 years in intensive service can be described as junk, whether one likes the design or not.

The 313/314/315/507/508s may not be one of the nicest designs ever to work on the railway, but they’ve certainly done what’s been asked of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.