• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Guard to Tram Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheggers

As states above has anyone ever done this? I’ve sat the Tram Driver tests recently and am in a complete pickle as to weather this is the right move.

For one drop in wage is massive and two when I asked at the assessment Day if there’s any info online about the day to Day job and/ or a drivers view point of the job they said there isn’t and you can ask when you’re in training as coaches are all drivers.

I want to make an informed decision about this as it’s a risk to move away from a job as a conductor to Tram Driver.

Btw this is for Midland Metro.

Any takers with their view point?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

blackfrost

How big is the drop in wages? Does the tram driver wage increase after a few months or a year?

Personally, as an ex-Conductor/Train Guard myself I would take the Tram Driver position because let's face it the guard grade within the railway is in decline and DOO is gonna happen nationwide. So for the sake of job security go for it!

Cheggers

How big is the drop in wages? Does the tram driver wage increase after a few months or a year?

Personally, as an ex-Conductor/Train Guard myself I would take the Tram Driver position because let's face it the guard grade within the railway is in decline and DOO is gonna happen nationwide. So for the sake of job security go for it!

This is what I’m thinking, currently on just shy of £31 basic before overtime/ Sunday’s/ commission etc. Starting wage for Tram is £18 then up to £21 (I think) once qualified plus overtime if you want it. So big drop.

I’ve been thinking of Tram Driver for a while and it can only expand.

The company aren’t forthcoming with information on what the shift rotation is, is it a five day week etc or what the salary is after trg I’m just going of what others have said.

Money isn’t everything but the Tram depot is 28 miles away in Wednesbury (but easy drive), current depot is only 12 miles away so have to think about fuel etc too.

Big (and quite a scary)decision to make and one where I need to make an informed decision.

Let’s face it a conductors job is a cushy number as long as you are safe with everything you do. I mean 4 day week with good pay and holidays.

hsharma25

Did you attend the assessment yesterday? I was there too, how did you find the tests? I thought they were fairly straightforward and i an pretty confident i did enough to get through to interview.

They have provided a lack of info about shift patterns and pay (after training) but having worked in CS ticket office on the railway for approx 6 years i feel it a good move for me as tram network is expanding in the birmingham and the take over by Transport for West midlands will only help and possibly increase wages.

pop79

I would advise you to stick with the conductor job, better pay, more secure job, stronger Union than the tram driver .I will tell you how if you are a tram driver lets say for some years and one day you f**k up or make a safety incident mistake you can lose your job easily and be on the street.If I were you I would stick with the conductor job.They keep saying that they will abolish the conductor job but in my opinion, this will not happen. This is my mere opinion but at the end, you do whatever you feel is good for you, good luck.

Agree with both sides of the arguements above. DOO will go nationwide but you say you are a TM based in Brum so presumably Virgin or XC staff, it will be a long time in the future, and even then you and your salary will transfer accross to revenue staff or customer host or whatever they are called on the southern. Financially staying where you are is the sensible play.

Will becoming a tram driver increase your chance of becoming a train driver though. Yes, undoubtedly. If you are with XC or virgin then you can't be promoted to driver as far as I am aware so are reduced to scrambling for places at LM. Though each candidate is judged on theiir own merits i reckon a tram driver's experience will conplete your train driving CV.

pop79

Agree with both sides of the arguements above. DOO will go nationwide but you say you are a TM based in Brum so presumably Virgin or XC staff, it will be a long time in the future, and even then you and your salary will transfer accross to revenue staff or customer host or whatever they are called on the southern. Financially staying where you are is the sensible play.

Will becoming a tram driver increase your chance of becoming a train driver though. Yes, undoubtedly. If you are with XC or virgin then you can't be promoted to driver as far as I am aware so are reduced to scrambling for places at LM. Though each candidate is judged on theiir own merits i reckon a tram driver's experience will conplete your train driving CV.
we joined the forum the same day same year ,Strange :)

Cheggers

It’s a good point, but if money wasn’t a factor then what would people choose (not saying money isn’t a factor btw)?

I’m with LM on the dark side and Chiltern already have an element of DOO on our side of the network. I think it’ll be a case of weighing up the pros and cons.

westcoaster

Established Member
I would say stay where you are , tram driving sounds appealing but! You are coming out of the railway. Trams are different kettle of fish rule wise.

Would a TOC take a tram driver over a TM/guard/conductor.

You are pts/rule trained.
Again I’d stick where you are. Massive pay cut longer traveling to work, fuel and wear and tear all add up.

BestWestern

Established Member

I'm not at all convinced that gaining employment as a tram driver would 'undoubtedly' increase one's chances of getting a job as a train driver, any more than remaining employed within the TOC as an already front line, rules trained safety critical member of staff with a decent record. You have to get through the external applicant initial sift, for a start.

Sleeper

Don't forget also the travel perks and pension aspects of continuing in your railway career.

Thedispatcher

Which depot are you at Cheggers? I'd stay where you are. I find myself tempted to look at other stuff not unlike you are but then I think of people I know who have left the railway and lived to regret it.

I know the threat of DOO is looming but there will still be jobs, plus there's no guarantee it will even happen. No sense worrying over something that isn't happening yet.

Stick with it mate.

Cheggers

Which depot are you at Cheggers? I'd stay where you are. I find myself tempted to look at other stuff not unlike you are but then I think of people I know who have left the railway and lived to regret it.

I know the threat of DOO is looming but there will still be jobs, plus there's no guarantee it will even happen. No sense worrying over something that isn't happening yet.

Stick with it mate.

The stays have it so far ha. I work on the Snow Hill lines for LM. It’s a good job tbh, but we always have to have one eye on the future and one of my thoughts is if we lose our jobs there will be a lot of people looking for jobs with my skills. But as you say it’s not even happened yet.

Thedispatcher

The stays have it so far ha. I work on the Snow Hill lines for LM. It’s a good job tbh, but we always have to have one eye on the future and one of my thoughts is if we lose our jobs there will be a lot of people looking for jobs with my skills. But as you say it’s not even happened yet.

It's alright mate, I'm on the snow hill lines for LM as well, was just trying to work out if we know each other!

Status
Not open for further replies.