• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train hits cow near Lydney 03-09-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

D1009

Established Member
It appears the line is currently blocked near Lydney, which is doubly unfortunate as XC services between Cheltenham and Bristol Parkway are booked to be diverted this way. From RTT it looks as though 1M94 1042 Cardiff Cen to Nottingham was the train involved, as nothing has passed that way since. Does anyone have any further information? I hope no-one was hurt.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
Strange question but given Cows are covered by the Animals Act 1971 which means that the cows owner is entirely responsible for whatever the cow does is it likely Network Rail and CrossCountry will ask the farmer to pay for the damage?

I know as cows are covered by the Animals Act 1971 they are also covered by the Road Traffic Act 1988 the farmer is liable for any damage to your car if you hit one and you are legally required to stop.

Clip

Established Member
Strange question but given Cows are covered by the Animals Act 1971 which means that the cows owner is entirely responsible for whatever the cow does is it likely Network Rail and CrossCountry will ask the farmer to pay for the damage?

I know as cows are covered by the Animals Act 1971 they are also covered by the Road Traffic Act 1988 the farmer is liable for any damage to your car if you hit one and you are legally required to stop.

Don't think so as nr are responsible for ensuring that the fences are intact so this doesn't happen. Think it goes back to the start of the railways or something ing

Flamingo

Established Member
Happened about a fortnight ago down at Nailsea - two cows that time. It was "one hell of a bang" according to a passenger I spoke to!

Tio Terry

Isn't there something about NR being at fault if the fence is damaged?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The unit involved was 170110 which is quite severely damaged. bashed in front end and side, no brakes front end, damage underneath, pipework damage, electrical damage and large number of wheelflats due to severe braking. Was moved to Lydney Loop and driven from rear cab at 5mph where it stayed for a couple days after which moved to Dean Forest Railway where it is being split and the vehicles are to be taken to Tyseley by road.

boxy321

The unit involved was 170110 which is quite severely damaged. bashed in front end and side, no brakes front end, damage underneath, pipework damage, electrical damage and large number of wheelflats due to severe braking. Was moved to Lydney Loop and driven from rear cab at 5mph where it stayed for a couple days after which moved to Dean Forest Railway where it is being split and the vehicles are to be taken to Tyseley by road.

I'll keep an eye out for it and get a pic if I see it at Tyseley.

Mintona

Established Member
It's not like they were waiting on the platform! Nailsea is the nearest station but the incident occurred at Flax Bourton.

Dai Corner

Established Member
It's not like they were waiting on the platform! Nailsea is the nearest station but the incident occurred at Flax Bourton.

Ah! Bovine access in that area would be much easier. The thought of cattle climbing the steep steps at Nailsea & Backwell did amuse me though :D

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The damaged carriage was taken form the Dean Forest Railway at Lydney by road to Wolverton over last weekend, the two "good" carriages somehow (don't know how) have arrived at Tyseley to await their cousin.

headshot119

Established Member
The damaged carriage was taken form the Dean Forest Railway at Lydney by road to Wolverton over last weekend, the two "good" carriages somehow (don't know how) have arrived at Tyseley to await their cousin.

The other two went by road.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Don't suppose anyone has any images of the damage?
Was speaking to a CrossCountry guard this morning which explained that they're still waiting for an estimate as to when they'll get it back.
In the mean time I've noticed that the centre car from 170110 is now in set 170112.
Smart thinking..
Thanks,
Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.