• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHall

Hi guys,

Thank you for posting about your likes and dislikes on my previous thread.

Continuing with my research, is there anything that you would like to see implemented on trains or tubes in the future to improve your journey?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
On certain trains (mainly thinking about 185's here) more space for luggage (in the case of the 185's something suitable considering the runs they are on...to Manchester Airport!)

anthony263

Established Member
Some idea's:

A full hourly stopping service service Pyle during the off peak, also on saturdays on certain hours some selected West Wales - Manchester semi fast services make a additional call at Pyle on their way to Cardiff, however there is no such service in the opposite direction.

The 07:10 Cardiff - Pembroke Dock train on sundays make an additional call Pyle at 07:39 to enable passengers wanting to travel to Cardiff to get a FGW service from Port Talbot or an earlier service calling at Pyle at around 09:55 instead of the 1st train which currently calls at 11:57.

Electrification of the route between Cardiff & Swansea to enable an hourly stopping service between Swansea & Bristol TM.

Additional rolling stock to enable 1 train per hour which currently runs to Barry island to instead run to Bridgend via the vale of glamorgan route in additional to the current train so that the route gets a train every 30 minutes.

Now as many others have stated.

Comfortable seats with good legroom and example of this being the class 175's. An example of bad legroom being the ATW class 153's.

Other than that more carriages on peak hour services.

No 3 & 2 seating again because it is not ideal for trains working longer routes.

Less stupid annoucements and decent information on PIS screeens

Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
- Tables
- Windows large enough to see out of
- Luggage space (on long distance services)

In a "techy" way which is what I guess you're looking at:
- Useful information to be displayed on the PIS (passenger information system). Such as the time, time of next stop, and details of connexions at the next station. Telling me what TOC I'm travelling with is not useful information.
- Erm, that's about it. I don't think there's any call for more gimmicks/gadgets - better to get the simple things right.

michael769

Established Member
I would say that priorities vary according to the journey

As a peak hour commuters would be adequate seating capacity. Which means longer trains or more frequent services (basically more rolling stock for peak hours). For many commuters simply getting a seat reliably would transform their journey. The other would be more bike space - Scotrail's class 156s is a good example of how bike space should ideally be done!

For non-peak improving the cleanliness, ensuring toilets are provided and work come to the fore. When on older rolling stock better temperature control is another must have (for example on the cl156 installing a thermostat that the crew are unable to turn up to "furnace" cannot be too difficult can it?).

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Standardisation of the yellow stripe above the windows to denote first class. Certain liveries don't make it very obvious which coach is 1st. For occasional travellers, or those who normally travel on a different operator, you shouldn't have to crack the code. It helps those not travelling 1st to find the right place as well as those travelling 1st.
Sensible advice about stopping/fast services. Example being Sheffield-Manchester at just gone each hour. There's a fast Man. Airport train followed a few minutes later by a slow Man. Piccadilly train. Many people going to Piccadilly end up on the slow train because they don't want to go to the airport, but the airport train calls at Picc anyway, far earlier than the stopper.

Darandio

Established Member
Some idea's:

A full hourly stopping service service Pyle during the off peak, also on saturdays on certain hours some selected West Wales - Manchester semi fast services make a additional call at Pyle on their way to Cardiff, however there is no such service in the opposite direction.

The 07:10 Cardiff - Pembroke Dock train on sundays make an additional call Pyle at 07:39 to enable passengers wanting to travel to Cardiff to get a FGW service from Port Talbot or an earlier service calling at Pyle at around 09:55 instead of the 1st train which currently calls at 11:57.

Electrification of the route between Cardiff & Swansea to enable an hourly stopping service between Swansea & Bristol TM.

Additional rolling stock to enable 1 train per hour which currently runs to Barry island to instead run to Bridgend via the vale of glamorgan route in additional to the current train so that the route gets a train every 30 minutes.

I'm guessing you misread the OP's request somewhat. :D

Minstral25

Established Member
- Seats with arm rests (377's on Southern are excellent) so you can separate yourself from the guy next door
- Seats wide enough for 95% of the population (which means no 3+2 or FCC 319 style 2+2)
- Good mix of Table and Airline seats (at least 50/50 if not 60/40 in favour of tables) as different passengers like different things but on less busy services it is good to have table space to spread into
- Longer trains to encourage growth of passengers (why do they keep buying 2 and 3 car units and use them in a 6 car formation)

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
is there anything that you would like to see implemented on trains or tubes in the future to improve your journey?
Yes. Adequate capacity.
That would deal with many of the difficulties people encounter, (with all the costs attached to providing more vehicles, more services, longer platforms, higher density timetabling, etc.).

On a slightly more achievable level:
improved and/or increased on-board catering;
improved and/or extended on-board wi-fi services;
on-board toilets on services which currently have none;
more space per seat.

One web site selling all railway tickets
On board German style pamphlets showing onward connections and platforms at each stop en route
Trains grouped by product, not by operator: eg InterCity, Local, Regional (or something like that)
Fewer announcements reminding passengers about transgressions for travelling on the wrong ticket
Japanese style national standardised platform markings showing passengers where their carriage will arrive

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Oh, also:
- No barriers except at suburban stations
- More manned ticket offices
- TVMs to have a proper interface where you select your journey and it sells you the correct ticket, rather than selling you a ticket which you have to work out when/where it's valid.

One web site selling all railway tickets.

Um.

Agree with your other points re standardisation.

TVMs to have a proper interface where you select your journey and it sells you the correct ticket, rather than selling you a ticket which you have to work out when/where it's valid.

Yes, standard TVMs which can sell you all tickets between any two points on the network including advanced purchase tickets. The interface should be similar to the NationalRail web site.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
A quick and easy win would for all TOC's to provide pictograms alongside access doors showing carriage letter, seat no's, and whether there are luggage racks, bicycle/buggy/wheelcahir facilities inside that part of the coach. Some do, some don't, evne those that do could do better!

Badger

On trains which have refreshments trolleys, space for storing them and for the attendant to sit should be provided. Often they're left clogging up one of the doors which is a bugger for wheelchair users or very busy services i.e. Stanstead to Birmingham.

Instead of us buying tickets and then maybe missing a train, getting the wrong one, or whatever, we should get a pass which we sign on at one station and sign off at another. We'd then pay for this pass at the ticket office and it would be charge us whatever that journey was worth.

Reserved seats need to be more smartly thought through. If somebody has reserved a seat, they should have to inform staff if they are not going to use it. I've seen people reserve a whole table, but it not be in the right place so they've gone and sat at another table closer to the onboard shop or whatever; which leaves four seats which can't be used by anybody!

Longer trains. There are so many, practically all services, from Birmingham which are over capacity.

Less "smart looking" train layouts (see: Pendelino airline seats, countoured walls taking up space, etc) and more spacious layouts instead. Trains these days are too fashion-based: because every new train that comes out has a different style, trains are able to "look old" (take 150s for example).

A standard, good-looking livery. We don't need to know which TOC is running a route when it's the only option for that route, and some liveries are hideous!

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
More on-train "apartheid" is needed regarding allocating carriages to passengers of a similar ilk who may be less likely to annoy each other - a kind of extension of the 'Quiet carriage' theme.
A 'self catering car' could be provided for those who wisihng to bring their own victuals and facilities to prepare, cook and consume them.
There could be a 'Grumpy Old Man' car where men of a certain age can go and have a good old moan with kindred spirits.
A Childrens Adventure Playground Car - although these days it would probably be just a computer games car.
There could be a 'Vicky Pollard Saloon' car where people can talk inane drivel about the latest edition of Jeremy Kyle.

SS4

Established Member
Increased capacity at BHM (I don't think Gateway will increase it enough)
Adequately sized toilets
Designated seats for people over 6 foot.
Abolition of food (controversial but onboard food is expensive and most people are wise enough to bring a suitable amount of food for the journey)
Increased drink stocks
A more efficient system of boarding
Connection Information

RobShipway

Established Member
For me it is to have longer trains during the peak hours on the Reading - Waterloo services.

Add a pantograph car to the Virgin Class 221 trains as well as adding it to the Cross Country trains.

More trains services where train Operators can Operate a service into another Train Operators area. For example London Waterloo to Cardiff service via Reading run by SWT.

<name here>

More legroom, or even better reserved seats for people over six foot (OK, I know that won't happen but it would be nice).
Get rid of 3+2 seating, makes it more uncomfortable for everyone.
Softer seats on long distance trains.
National smartcard system. Similar to Oyster but you should also be able to buy tickets online and put them on the card as well.

WestCoast

Established Member
More carriages. Preferably not class 142 Pacers.

Signed, Northern Rail commuter.

Robinson

Increase in capacity on the busier lines.
Better provision of information onboard - particularly when there are delays/cancellations.
Some long-distance operators need to improve their catering (I'm looking at you, CrossCountry).

Sorry but I disagree with the poster who says one standard livery across the board - I find the variety makes our railways much more interesting!

More carriages. Preferably not class 142 Pacers.

Signed, Northern Rail commuter.

Definitely, key routes in the North are woefully short on capacity so more carriages would be a god send. As above though, preferably not Pacers, an absolute nightmare for passengers getting on and off on a peak service due to the door positioning and the doors opening inwards like they do. Very rarely on time for peak services as a result.

More space for luggage especially on routes in and out of Man Airport.

More cycle spaces - although not a priority would save me and fellow passengers from having wet and dirty tyres pressed up against us on a full train. Although the guard should prevent any bike boarding a busy train

DarkestDreams

- I'd like to see vending machines on some services - they work well abroad, so why not here?

- On long distance services, I'd like to see a carriage designed for the disabled/those with children etc. Surely having lots of space, a disabled toilet and things like that in one place would be better than having them spaced out all over the train.

- More padding on seats. I don't agree with the abolition of 3+2 seating, because when done well (i.e. South West Trains) they can be very comfortable.

- More walk-through trains on suburban services.

On board Bistros on all long distance trains.

Yes please. I loathe roving trolleys with on my heart:

• they remind me of the trolleys on a budget airline
  • they are noising and distracting
  • they obstruct gangways and doorways
  • they obstruct cyclists with their bikes and others with their prams
  • they sell an unimaginative, miserable, repetitive and tiresome selection of long life package food which you see everywhere

SteveP29

- I'd like to see vending machines on some services - they work well abroad, so why not here?

For the same reason cigarette vending machines were withdrawn from the streets in this country, because, intrinsically, a significant number of the British population (IMO) has next to no respect for property that doesn't belong to them, hence their need for vandalism and theft.

In a word (or two) you just couldn't trust people not to vandalise or thieve from them, unlike in Japan where you still find vending machines on the streets and nobody steals or breaks them

Badger

There are plenty of vending machines around stations though already; they'd do just as well on the train and would take up less room than a cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.