• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Operator - London Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

notadriver

Established Member
Central, Victoria. Jubilee, Piccadilly and Northern. (All Night Tube lines)

Unsure on age.

We get a staff Oyster card, which is valid on London Overground, Underground, DLR, Tramlink, Buses and a few minor National Rail lines within the zones (like c2c to Upminster I believe). No priv or FIP.

Thanks for that. In that list the Piccadilly stands as the line with the oldest stock and manually driven. Will it be considerably harder to learn/work that line than the other ATO ones ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
Thanks for that. In that list the Piccadilly stands as the line with the oldest stock and manually driven. Will it be considerably harder to learn/work that line than the other ATO ones ?
Not necessarily as all drivers on all lines have to learn about "traditional" signalling as well as automatic rules and procedures and will also have to drive in manual.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Minimum age is 18.

Each line has its own challenges. Central line for instance you will have to have top stock knowledge as the 92 Stock is notoriously unreliable. Northern, Central and Picc lines you will have to learn a lot of moves. As already mentioned, rules and procedures for conventional lines is taught as standard for all operational staff on the Underground, so people going to Auto lines will have to learn the rules for their signalling systems.

Central line also has a lot of manual driving, as all out of service, plus moves into sidings is done in manual, and everyone has to learn the line in manual.

nomoredesks

I had the AC2 interview and test on the 6th May, havent heard anything back yet, I called yesterday and was told they have 10 days to get back to us and I should have a reply by the end of the week. Is anyone else waiting for their outcome? Should I assume I havent got the job since it has been a long while now?

Jambo86

I had the AC2 interview and test on the 6th May, havent heard anything back yet, I called yesterday and was told they have 10 days to get back to us and I should have a reply by the end of the week. Is anyone else waiting for their outcome? Should I assume I havent got the job since it has been a long while now?

10 calendar days have already passed so doesn't look great, but 10 working days would be the close of play tomorrow, so you never know. Good luck either way mate.

Lrd

Established Member
I would say 10 working days. If you've not heard anything by tomorrow afternoon then give them a call.

SC8

Yes its 10 working days/14 calender days so you should know by tomorrow.

Has anyone heard if the Night Tube will definitely be operational by August?

Lrd

Established Member
Has anyone heard if the Night Tube will definitely be operational by August?
Last I heard was that it will be two lines in July, two more in August and the other I have no info about. But this is always changing so take it with a pinch of salt. There is already at least one night tube driver passed out.

sfxdude

Last I heard was that it will be two lines in July, two more in August and the other I have no info about. But this is always changing so take it with a pinch of salt. There is already at least one night tube driver passed out.

Rumour I heard was that central and Vic were the first to go live. Other to follow after.

Jambo86

Sure most of you have heard by now but the Night Tube is to commence on 19th August with the Central and Victoria lines kicking in first.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36356381

Also had a couple of questions for those training for Night T/Ops already, what's the pay rate during training? And how is the day broken up in terms of breaks and so on? I'm still a couple of weeks away and getting itchy feet with the waiting around for info. Cheers in advance.

sfxdude

Also had a couple of questions for those training for Night T/Ops already, what's the pay rate during training? And how is the day broken up in terms of breaks and so on? I'm still a couple of weeks away and getting itchy feet with the waiting around for info. Cheers in advance.

Pay is £30,166 during training. Plenty of breaks in the day, lunch, morning and afternoon usually (for the first 3 weeks at least, then it varies line by line).

Lrd

Established Member
About £30k during training.

Weeks 1-6 are office hours 0800 - 1600, then you shadow your Instructor Operator for most of the remaining weeks, doing his duties which could be earlies, middles, lates, nights anything really.

Jambo86

Pay is £30,166 during training. Plenty of breaks in the day, lunch, morning and afternoon usually (for the first 3 weeks at least, then it varies line by line).

About £30k during training.

Weeks 1-6 are office hours 0800 - 1600, then you shadow your Instructor Operator for most of the remaining weeks, doing his duties which could be earlies, middles, lates, nights anything really.

Cheers.

Garethgareth

Hi everyone, I had my interview for the train operator role over 2 months ago and they still haven't got back to me. They said there is a delay. Is anyone else in this situation? Also does anyone know if they are still interviewing for part time night train operators? I have a feeling they are still interviewing people and just putting me on hold, until they find someone who is better then me. What does everyone else think? Or know? Please help. I just want to know if I got rejected or not :/
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Have you heard back from them?

Leetw13

I had mine over 3 weeks ago now and got an email last week saying they would get back to us in a few weeks time!
It's a joke.like you I just wanna know one way or another.

nomoredesks

I had my interview on the 6th May and I got an email saying they will contact me in the next few weeks but nothing further than that. Its frustrating as I could be making some pretty big changes in my life if I dont get the job, so just a waiting game now, disappointed to see that some people are waiting for 2 months plus. Personally it would make sense to let ppl know if they have passed the interview and are just waiting for a start date, rather than not know whether you have been succesful or not.

sfxdude

Pretty sure they're not sure how many places they have to fill and so hence the limbo for you guys. They've got more places than trainers on the pic line and still no date for start of night tube (looking at December at the earliest). Sounds like you've probably met the standard but they're unsure whether they need you guys or not.

Met Driver

Established Member
Recruitment is apparently frozen TfL-wide at present, internal and external. It is probably no coincidence that London has just elected a new Mayor.

No surprise, they are just tubers!
Or maybe they are on strike again?!?

Why are you joining an industry that enjoys good pay due to strong trade unions, if you're so cynical about them? This is the second time you've posted this sort of remark. Is it some sort of bus driving-induced envy?

For someone who's so open about their current place of work and their job hunting pursuits, I'm surprised you don't show more mutual respect.

nomoredesks

I got the call yesterday to say i was through to training, starting in July, medical booked and references on their way. I genuinely thought i hadnt gotten through but looks positive. Good luck to everyone else out there waiting on their outcome. :lol:

sfxdude

I got the call yesterday to say i was through to training, starting in July, medical booked and references on their way. I genuinely thought i hadnt gotten through but looks positive. Good luck to everyone else out there waiting on their outcome. :lol:

Congratulations, well done. Have you been given a medical / contract signing date yet? What date do you start?

Lrd

Established Member
Congrats! If you have any questions about anything then feel free to PM me (once you reach 5 posts) and I will do my best to help you out.

nomoredesks

Thank you! Medical on 17th June and start training 18th July, Nobody mentioned signing a contract date, hmmm.

I completed the online form for Sterling Backcheck too, just gathering together payslips etc in case they ask for them. I was self employed for a small period of time and did my own taxes, but wondering if that will be a problem?

sfxdude

Thank you! Medical on 17th June and start training 18th July, Nobody mentioned signing a contract date, hmmm.

I completed the online form for Sterling Backcheck too, just gathering together payslips etc in case they ask for them. I was self employed for a small period of time and did my own taxes, but wondering if that will be a problem?

Contract signing is done when you get the all clear from the medical usually a week or so before you start I think.

Doubt very much they need payslips, all they need is employment history and some references. If in doubt I'm sure they'll give you a call.

timberwood

Like nomoredesks I had my 2nd AC on the 6th May and was left waiting quite a while for the decision. I also received the call this Monday gone and I have been pencilled in to start training on the 18th July pending the medical and checks.
I am very grateful for all the pointers given by all the members on this thread to the silent readers like me. Thank you all.

nomoredesks

Hi Timberwood, Congrats, I kept in touch with a couple of ppl who were at AC2 with me in the morning, the others didnt get the job, I was gutted! I was the only woman at the AC2 which made me a little more nervous. I guess I may well be in the same training team as you! :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Contract signing is done when you get the all clear from the medical usually a week or so before you start I think.

Doubt very much they need payslips, all they need is employment history and some references. If in doubt I'm sure they'll give you a call.

Thank you SFXDude, Medical next friday so i guess i will hear back after that, excited and nervous now to get on t with training and get into the job.

LondonMitch

Hi Timberwood, Congrats, I kept in touch with a couple of ppl who were at AC2 with me in the morning, the others didnt get the job, I was gutted! I was the only woman at the AC2 which made me a little more nervous. I guess I may well be in the same training team as you! :D

I think the training teams are a little more balanced, but depots can be hit and miss in terms of how many women are there.
We had four women in my training group of sixteen and the group next door seemed to be pretty similar. There's quite a few at my depot, but I've heard of others that have very few

timberwood

Nomoredesks, I remember you, we were in the same batch . I was the first one called out for the interview, it lasted no more than 15 minutes..... I guess I was prepared. See you in training.

Status
Not open for further replies.