• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Sim World

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I’m considering getting Train Sim World 3, either on a PS 4 or 5 or Xbox Series X (or 1?), and have a few questions if you would please to help with my research.

Is any system better than the other for this game? I assume the PS 5 will be better than 4, but how do the PS and Xbox compare?

The reviews I’m reading aren’t all that positive. Someone says that the PS only allocates about 64GB to it. Is this true? If so, will it hinder me buying extra routes & locos?

Looking at U tube videos, there are a whole load of controls. Is it possible or even advisable to use a regular USB keyboard and mouse with the PS or Xbox?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnMcL7

Do you have Game Pass for the Xbox? TSW3 is currently on game pass so it would give you a good chance to try it out properly and see what you think.

The reviews I’m reading aren’t all that positive. Someone says that the PS only allocates about 64GB to it. Is this true? If so, will it hinder me buying extra routes & locos?
That's not a problem any more. They released an update to get around that issue so you can download as many routes and locos as you like.

I've never played TSW3 on Xbox, however as I understand it there are virtually no differences between the Xbox and Playstation versions, so just pick whichever you like. I've never played the game with a keyboard and mouse, but playing the game with a controller feels pretty natural to me. I'm sure using a keyboard and mouse is better, but the same can be said of any first person game.

Energy

Established Member
That's not a problem any more. They released an update to get around that issue so you can download as many routes and locos as you like.

I've never played TSW3 on Xbox, however as I understand it there are virtually no differences between the Xbox and Playstation versions, so just pick whichever you like. I've never played the game with a keyboard and mouse, but playing the game with a controller feels pretty natural to me. I'm sure using a keyboard and mouse is better, but the same can be said of any first person game.
IIRC the playstation version was having some issues with the number of DLC though they are fixed now. Otherwise they are identical. Keyboard and mouse is better but controller is completely fine for this game.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Only if you are interested in the routes. Otherwise the new UI and test track is not worth it. In a sale its a good price for the 3 routes.
That's pretty much the case for all of Dovetail's products I'd say! Unless you're mega keen on a route I'd always wait until they're on sale which, to be fair, Dovetail do do very often. TSW3 will almost certainly be picking up in due course but I'd personally wait, unless you're keen on the routes available, until it's reduced in a sale and then pick it up.

prod_pep

Established Member
Part of the reason for the poor reviews is the lack of atmosphere in Train Sim World: it's rather bland and soulless. On the PS4 version, it can be a choppy experience at times with slowdown common to virtually all simulation games on that generation of console. Issues with routes regularly go unfixed and sounds are lacklustre in general. However, it is by far the best we have for consoles at the moment and there is fun to be had with it.

Personally, I haven't played Train Sim World anywhere near as much as expected. I wouldn't discourage anyone who likes trains from buying it for a second, but you're unlikely to be blown away. I bought TSW3 with some reluctance for the Cross-City route, which admittedly is a good effort, but it is not worth upgrading from TSW2 unless you want some of the newer routes.

Also, if you're interested in collecting PS trophies, TSW3 is an incredibly easy game to get the platinum. No challenge involved and only 500 miles of driving required compared with a colossal 10,000 miles in TSW2.

Trackman

Established Member
Just my twopenneth I use my PC as I can use my Raildriver console.

Part of the reason for the poor reviews is the lack of atmosphere in Train Sim World: it's rather bland and soulless. On the PS4 version, it can be a choppy experience at times with slowdown common to virtually all simulation games on that generation of console. Issues with routes regularly go unfixed and sounds are lacklustre in general. However, it is by far the best we have for consoles at the moment and there is fun to be had with it.
Never experienced any lag or anything on my PC, but one thing I cant be doing with is that you cannot adjust display settings, like brightness/contrast.

prod_pep

Established Member
Just my twopenneth I use my PC as I can use my Raildriver console.

Never experienced any lag or anything on my PC, but one thing I cant be doing with is that you cannot adjust display settings, like brightness/contrast.
You're right, it does run an awful lot better on PC.

They've recently announced a new UK route: Manchester to Hadfield, a shorter route at a lower price. More 323 action and quite an interesting route so that's a must-buy for me. Nice to see another Northern England route in the game, too.

Trackman

Established Member

They've recently announced a new UK route: Manchester to Hadfield, a shorter route at a lower price. More 323 action and quite an interesting route so that's a must-buy for me. Nice to see another Northern England route in the game, too.
I didn't know about that and I received email about the May roadmap but missed the Glossop line, so thanks for that!

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Well I went for an Xbox X and think the game is fantastic. I can release my inner train driver at last. However I now have more questions:

Can you sound the lower horn tone via one of the buttons, or do you have to look down and hover over it etc?

Having watched a DadRail vid on U tube I had a go at cold starting a 66 in the training centre. I thought I followed what he did, but couldn’t release the brakes. On the gauge, the outer pointer went all the way to 5 bar, but the inner stayed on zero so no pressure got into the pipe to release. What could I be doing wrong?

Not a question, but at the end of a timetabled moved, select go back to free roam for a wild ride! Another driver takes over and you go off into some bizarre scenery and eventually into a hill (yes a hill, no tunnel!). Then it kicks you out into the outside world and you can exploring for more weirdness. Great fun.

JohnMcL7

Well I went for an Xbox X and think the game is fantastic. I can release my inner train driver at last. However I now have more questions:

Can you sound the lower horn tone via one of the buttons, or do you have to look down and hover over it etc?
If you hold the X button when you press the left stick you'll get a lower horn tone.

Iskra

Established Member

I'm a bit underwhelmed by that route choice to be honest. A re-liveried existing class 323 and a short, fairly uninspiring commuter route with little operational interest. Hopefully, they include the rusting/decaying Woodhead infrastructure in the route and it isn't a modern/glossy misrepresentation of the current line. I'm glad a Northern route is coming, but of all the Northern (TOC) routes, there are so many more interesting ones out there. The main positive for me is that it shows that DTG have the licensing for Northern, so we can expect more in the future. I'm still baffled by the over-prominence of EMU routes in the game, when they are probably the least interesting rolling stock going.

I agree with others upthread saying not to pay full price for anything, it's always worth waiting. I'm currently waiting for the price of the MML route to come down before I get that one, and it also gives them time to implement any patches too.

Also, French add ons are free to play this week, so now is a good time to try the French TGV route :)

JohnMcL7

Does anyone know how to enable the vigilance device on a 66?
In the number 1 cab if you look behind the seat you'll see two fuse cabinets, if you open the right hand side one (while facing the engine) you'll see the DSD isolate on the lower left and the AWS on the middle right.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
In the number 1 cab if you look behind the seat you'll see two fuse cabinets, if you open the right hand side one (while facing the engine) you'll see the DSD isolate on the lower left and the AWS on the middle right.
Thanks. I'd located the AWS but didn't know the vigilance came under DSD. :)

How often do they have sales on?

Energy

Established Member
By the way the LGV Marseille to Avignon route is free to keep for the next few days along with a few train sim classic routes. Nice gift from Dovetail as they got bought by Focus Interactive (who are French).

prod_pep

Established Member
I'm a bit underwhelmed by that route choice to be honest. I'm still baffled by the over-prominence of EMU routes in the game, when they are probably the least interesting rolling stock going.
Personally, I like EMUs best so no complaints, but it's certainly a fair point.

IMHO they chose the 'wrong' route in some cases for other regions, too. It's hard to please everyone but some of the choices are uninsipring, especially for prices they charge. The Inverclyde or Ayrshire lines would've been much more interesting than the Cathcart Circle and branches, allowing for faster runs and a variety of stock (e.g. 314s and 380s). So too the West Coastway rather than the East, with the various branches to Bognor and Littlehampton; they also missed out by far the best part of the East Coastway, the Eastbourne to Hastings section, where the route truly befits its Coastway name.

The £30 price for new routes is extortionate in my view, especially as some have only one type of train and are short, incomplete lines.

GatwickDepress

Established Member

IMHO they chose the 'wrong' route in some cases for other regions, too. It's hard to please everyone but some of the choices are uninsipring, especially for prices they charge. The Inverclyde or Ayrshire lines would've been much more interesting than the Cathcart Circle and branches, allowing for faster runs and a variety of stock (e.g. 314s and 380s). So too the West Coastway rather than the East, with the various branches to Bognor and Littlehampton; they also missed out by far the best part of the East Coastway, the Eastbourne to Hastings section, where the route truly befits its Coastway name.

The £30 price for new routes is extortionate in my view, especially as some have only one type of train and are short, incomplete lines.
Yes, it was odd that they didn't extend to Hastings/Ore considering one of the main gimmicks of the TSW franchise was the ability to physically leave the cab to switch ends. They really removed a lot of operational interest and complexity there. Plus, as you say, the actual coast in the East Coastway is nowhere to be seen. I would have also extended up to Plumpton or Haywards Heath so you could do the rare diverted Lewes reversal down to Brighton, but that's more of a 'nice-to-have' than anything else.

YourMum666

not only that, instead of the Cross City lines, we should have gotten the Trent valley instead, as we would have gotten way more for the price we were charged to buy the Birmingham route

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I got the Northern Trans-Pennine route. I’ve got to say I love the traction here with the DMU, 45, and 47, although the brakes are distinctly trickier to get right than the EMUs in the game!

Question: Is it possible to enable the AWS with the DMU/45/47?

Wivenswold

Established Member
Despite their best efforts every route still has a lifeless feel to it. The sun is too bright all year round, the weather system has been improved but still isn't a patch on the Armstrong Powerhouse weather pack in Train Sim Classic, there's not enough variety of traction on each route and very few of the routes are long enough for a good thrash.

Despite the weird passengers and worse graphics Train Sim Classic still feels more like a real railway with a better variety of rolling stock, longer routes, better add-ons and enhancements plus so much choice, the down-side is that it'll cost a beginner a lot of money to get a fairly decent collection.

Is it possible to enable the AWS with the DMU/45/47?

I do not currently have it installed (I try to keep to 8-10 routes at a time), but....

I cannot remember where it is exactly on the 45/47, but something is telling me down to your left from the seat.
The DMU there is a lever under the 2nd mans seat.