• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Simulator 2021

365 Networker

It's about time we got a decent 153. I just hope they simulate the tread brakes properly - most of the sprinters in the simulator currently behave as though they have disc brakes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Purple Train

Established Member
Has anyone else had issues installing the ATS OHLE Pack? My antivirus flagged something up when I tried to download it this afternoon; has anyone experienced anything similar?

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Armstrong Powerhouse will soon be releasing a Cloud Enhancement Pack. Richard from AP has written a blog on the pack; part two of which can be found here.

It’s gone down rather controversially online (Facebook groups mainly) with many complaining that this should have been part of the recently released Sky & Weather Enhancement Pack.

Make of it what you will!

LUYMun

Armstrong Powerhouse will soon be releasing a Cloud Enhancement Pack. Richard from AP has written a blog on the pack; part two of which can be found here.

It’s gone down rather controversially online (Facebook groups mainly) with many complaining that this should have been part of the recently released Sky & Weather Enhancement Pack.

Make of it what you will!
The bit highlighted is the nicest way of putting it. Of course, I thought that AP was cracking up a joke when they were developing a Cloud EP. This time, however, their hardcore fans have not been pleased by the news, so the backlash has resulted in AP closing all comments on their social platforms. Which is a shame, as for a decent developer their inability to handle criticism would ultimately lose the trust of people willing to pay their products if they can improve their portfolio.

Last edited:

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
The bit highlighted is the nicest way of putting it. Of course, I thought that AP was cracking up a joke when they were developing a Cloud EP. This time, however, their hardcore fans have not been pleased by the news, so the backlash has resulted in AP closing all comments on their social platforms. Which is a shame, as for a decent developer their inability to handle criticism would ultimately lose the trust of people willing to pay their products if they can improve their portfolio.

That was put diplomatically, yes! I’m a big fan of AP but must admit I was also disappointed in their move to turn off comments on all Facebook posts.

In the meantime, the Cloud EP manual is available so I’m assuming a release is imminent at some point in the next couple of days - and looking at it, you’ll need to already own the SWEP2.

Purple Train

Established Member
When will they go back to trains rather than trying to make it rain more accurately for people with a better computer?
I also disagree with their comments on the 47 pack - make an enhancement as a temporary measure so we have something to work with, it doesn't have to be perfect first go! Their sort of logic is the reason why we're stuck with a useless 165/166.
I'm a fan of their stuff as a general rule, but I feel they've lost their way, and they're focusing on vain "grand designs" rather than plugging the gaps like they used to do so well. An AP cheap job is way better than what DTG usually churn out - they don't have to make everything worthy of a £30 price tag.
Quality over quantity yes. Quality instead of quantity no. And I wish they'd get bored of the weather.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I believe at least 1 loco is 'in production' at the moment.

Sounds like a new 142 is on the way at some point also. When they removed the old pack from sale they said (direct quote, my emphasis):

CLASS 142 DIESEL MULTIPLE UNIT PACK WITHDRAWAL
It has had a stay of execution but our Class 142 Diesel Multiple Unit Pack has now been withdrawn from sale. We don't intend our website to be 142-less for too long however. Stay tuned.

The AP Cloud Enhancement Pack has now launched, and is priced £19.99. I won’t be buying at that price as it just doesn’t appear worth the money from the screenshots and trailer. I may change my mind in time. I think AP have got this pretty wrong.

Last edited:

dakta

I would agree - the pricing is subjective (I probably won't buy until it's on offer or until I have money I didn't expect to have) as it is a lot of money for clouds...but let's face it, on the flip side AP generally do deliver on the quality side so you can only whinge so much.... I think a compromise would have been just a slightly more expensive weather pack to reflect the effort. At the moment to have all AP's weather related mods your looking at 3 in total which is quite a lot for 'one' aspect of the simulation.

However, the removal of comments based on feedback is a bad move IMO, and it's a shame because it's such a highly respected supplier of extra content and improvements, for many a lot of their products are staple.

I do have some sympathy though because I have noted previously several occasions were enthusiasts are virtually commanding AP on what to do, when, and what to prioritise and basically acting like they're a stakeholder of the company and failing to somehow take on board or respond to the (up until recently, gentle) nudges back that there are logistical and good reasons as to why things are the way they are. Knowing my attitude to such things I'd most likely myself make a point of deprioritising anything suggested in that manner on principle. If I've given a good reason why I'm not making a 47 yet, and the response to my reason starts with another reason why I should, sod it I'll make another 37 livery or 20 and put the 47 into the 2028 plan :D

LUYMun

Armstrong Powerhouse have released their Class 317 Volume 2 Pack, which focuses on the /2 and /7 subclasses.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member

Purple Train

Established Member
As someone who has the original version, I might buy it just for the "bounce factor" :lol:

That being said, haven't played TS in ages, mostly due to not being able to complete a project due to the aforementioned issues with the ATS OHLE Pack.

dakta

I cannot wait to be honest, the cab was starting to look a bit dated compared with some of the newer enhancement packs, and it's a bit different whilst keeping it real

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I cannot wait to be honest, the cab was starting to look a bit dated compared with some of the newer enhancement packs, and it's a bit different whilst keeping it real

Definitely. Surprised it’s not been released today given AP have posted the livery album on Facebook and someone has found the manual URL.

dakta

Yeah, I was hoping you'd be right to be honest.

struggling to connect to the website, talk about boosting the anticipation :D

TBH it isn't a bad add on anyway, it's not one anyone else has attempted and good for some start stop localish routes so it will be entertaining in it's own right especially if you're from the area you tended to see them (I definitely am)

Rail Quest

Honestly same! The cynic inside me is for some reason expecting AP to do their usual and price the addon at "one million dollars" just because of the inclusion of the bounce factor:lol:

Provided it doesn't exceed 30 quid - I'll be buying it straight away

Trailer (incase anyone hasn't seen it yet):

dakta

Got it, price was a bit hefty, expected a discount for existing owners (even as a token) but seems not - however it is a very good effort in terms of quality.

Rail Quest

ATS have this evening released their Class 43 VP185 enhancement pack. £12.99. I’ve bought it and it does look lovely. 3 scenarios thrown in too. Also includes working GSM-R.

View attachment 145894View attachment 145895
Perhaps controversially - Ive been scratching my head as to why this pack is worth £13. When I was seeing in dev screenshots of it, I was like "cool, this should be a decent enhancement to an enhancement pack for a cheap price" and here it is costing more than half what the entire MPV pack costs:lol:

Wivenswold

Established Member
For me this makes the HST driveable again. Downloaded it and will give it a run later.
£9.99 if you've got an ATS subscription so I was happy with that price but it is getting increasingly difficult to know which hobbies to spend money on.

dakta

suppose it depends on the playability, if you don't play the hst often then find with the enhancement that its now attractive and play a 2 hour scenario six times over the products lifetime it's cost a quid an hour of entertainment

not sure if i'll get it as I have spent my monthly pocketmonet on...pacers :D but I am glad these keep being developed. I bet they struggle to make the money back even if £13 seems stingy.

Purple Train

Established Member
Seems like fairly major issues this evening around a Steam update deleting all the files, including the executable. Some people seem to have had all their DLC deleted; some of my folders seem to be intact (though no executable and Steam folder showing as 0B) but I'm virtually a Luddite in most things game-related, so I don't really know!

No idea whether it's affecting non-Steam users, but it is certainly affecting at least a largish chunk of people.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It's about time we got a decent 153. I just hope they simulate the tread brakes properly - most of the sprinters in the simulator currently behave as though they have disc brakes.
Subsequent to adding tread brake simulation to the various 150 and 156 packs, tonight Armstrong Powerhouse has announced it is now added to the 37 packs, plus the Class 50, 86 and 87.

Given how hopeless I find myself with the realistic tread brake simulation on the Sprinter packs at only 75mph, bringing an InterCity Express down from 100mph on tread brakes is going to be real fun! Is 2 miles going to be enough distance!?! :lol:

365 Networker

Subsequent to adding tread brake simulation to the various 150 and 156 packs, tonight Armstrong Powerhouse has announced it is now added to the 37 packs, plus the Class 50, 86 and 87.

Given how hopeless I find myself with the realistic tread brake simulation on the Sprinter packs at only 75mph, bringing an InterCity Express down from 100mph on tread brakes is going to be real fun! Is 2 miles going to be enough distance!?! :lol:
It is tricky, but much more satisfying when you get it right! I'm glad AP have taken the time to update these packs.

AP have also announced a new MTU HST EP -
1701108234630.png

Rail Quest

AP have also announced a new MTU HST EP -
There's a lot of potential with this for sure though I do wish AP focused on things that haven't been enhanced, such as the class 60 which I was expecting to be announced soon after they seemed to be urgently asking publicly for a recording sesh with one.

What are people hoping for or expecting from this month's newsletter announcement though? My hope (as it has been for a year or two) has indeed been a 60 pack of some sort though I'm expecting the class 40 2.0 to be officially announced this newsletter.

Melancholia

So, Armstrong Powerhouse has released a new enhancement pack out of nowhere. This time the "Vegetation Enhancement Pack". Costs £14.99.

Purple Train

Established Member
So, Armstrong Powerhouse has released a new enhancement pack out of nowhere. This time the "Vegetation Enhancement Pack". Costs £14.99.
Again, I hate to be "that" person, but I don't want or need everything to look like a Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood painting, I'd prefer some of our more dire trains to be upgraded.

I also seem to recall that, a while ago, they offered an enhancement pack for making scenarios run smoothly for low-spec players (like me). Part of me wishes they could re-release that and do something for that market, but that's definitely me being selfish so I'll stop there!