• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train stabling sidings for Scarborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldie

Do you by any chance know if there are any plans to modify the station throat area in conjunction with these plans. I would expect that the direct access only to Platform 1 will limit operational flexibility, whereas installing an additional crossover from the carriage sidings to the down main would allow access some of the other platforms - It looks like there would be room for it.

Best regards,
Chris.

I don't have any inside knowledge, but I think they've completed the all the work to the track that they intend. It looks like this is all about finishing the depot facilities themselves now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rapid Loader

Good afternoon,

Is there still a run round facility available without going into the new area?
Just thinking about Engineering trains stabling up and running round etc.

I believe Seamer is the nearest. Have a look at the below diagram. I know it is unlikely to happen, but.... I have added in red where a new crossing would fit to give additional access to the carriage sidings without being forced to have Platform 1 as the only head shunt.

Scarborough Diagram.JPG

Best wishes,
Chris.

blackfive460

There is a loop that will accommodate at least a top & tailed 12 coach set adjacent to the turntable. I'm fairly certain it hasn't been shortened during the recent work.

do these sidings offer feeding and watering facilities or is it just parking up overnight?

There appears to be full tanking and fuel facilities on site.

Regarding adding a pair of switches to give access from Platforms 2 and 3; from observations on the ground it appeared to me that there isn't sufficient space between the starting signal and the pair of switches giving access to Platform 1 to fit one in. The starting signal would have to be moved back some distance which would reduce the capacity of Platform 1 by maybe two coach lengths. Very unlikely to happen as, with the current working arrangements, there's no need.

Swedish Keith

Does anyone know if the depot at Scarborough is open yet? I did wonder if this might be a move to transfer a Nova 3 set there for depot training.

...the depot isn't open by the looks of things. It's coming along but appears there's still a fair bit to get done before it will be completed. That's how it appeared to me when I went past on way back from Yrk.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has heard of an estimated date of completion. With it not being finished it made me wonder if TPE were anticipating delays with the introduction of the Nova 3s (i.e. does the depot not need to be ready for them to introduced?)
Cheers

sjpowermac

Established Member
Does anyone know if the depot at Scarborough is open yet? I did wonder if this might be a move to transfer a Nova 3 set there for depot training.

...the depot isn't open by the looks of things. It's coming along but appears there's still a fair bit to get done before it will be completed. That's how it appeared to me when I went past on way back from Yrk.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has heard of an estimated date of completion. With it not being finished it made me wonder if TPE were anticipating delays with the introduction of the Nova 3s (i.e. does the depot not need to be ready for them to introduced?)
Cheers
Many thanks for that.

As I understand it there will ultimately be two Nova 3 sets stable at Scarborough overnight. I guess the first Nova 3 trips will be for diagrams off Longsight, like the run on Friday.

That said, I’d guess that Scarborough Depot might become important pretty soon! I guess they will want the depot ready for driver and guard training at Scarborough.

david boole

Good afternoon,

I believe Seamer is the nearest. Have a look at the below diagram. I know it is unlikely to happen, but.... I have added in red where a new crossing would fit to give additional access to the carriage sidings without being forced to have Platform 1 as the only head shunt.

View attachment 65146

Best wishes,
Chris.
a new runaround has been built into the newly laid sidings 320m long i understand

david boole

Many thanks for that.

As I understand it there will ultimately be two Nova 3 sets stable at Scarborough overnight. I guess the first Nova 3 trips will be for diagrams off Longsight, like the run on Friday.

That said, I’d guess that Scarborough Depot might become important pretty soon! I guess they will want the depot ready for driver and guard training at Scarborough.
I understand the depot will be completed mid August

david boole

I believe there is a 320m runaround loop built into the new sidings

david boole

Cheers

I understand the depot will be completed mid August in readiness for the 2 Nova 3 trains

Ih8earlies

Anyone know if a train has entered the depot yet for testing of connectors and setting access platforms - as per the TPE internal Fleet update dated July?

(The fleet update mentioned a date of the 16th of this month"

sjpowermac

Established Member

Swedish Keith

I took a bike ride past the depot yesterday and took these photos...a few from the gaps in the fence Seamer Rd side and a few from the other side (football stadium). Can't see a huge amount on the photos particularly the stadium side where the white fencing is up but hopefully they give those away from Scarborough an idea of where things are up to. Wooden screening fencing is going up Seamer Rd so soon you won't be able to see anything much from that side
It seems the electrical work needed is in place (near the old gasworks bridge) so It seems to be getting there. 20190721_145409.jpg

Attachments

• 20190721_145819.jpg
    20190721_145819.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 114
  • 20190721_150224.jpg
    20190721_150224.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 111
  • 20190721_150250.jpg
    20190721_150250.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 108
  • 20190721_145313.jpg
    20190721_145313.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 112

sjpowermac

Established Member
I took a bike ride past the depot yesterday and took these photos...a few from the gaps in the fence Seamer Rd side and a few from the other side (football stadium). Can't see a huge amount on the photos particularly the stadium side where the white fencing is up but hopefully they give those away from Scarborough an idea of where things are up to. Wooden screening fencing is going up Seamer Rd so soon you won't be able to see anything much from that side
It seems the electrical work needed is in place (near the old gasworks bridge) so It seems to be getting there. View attachment 66073
Many thanks for taking the time to take and post the pictures. It looks like everything is nearing completion and will be ready for the ‘mid-August’ opening.

I think the depot might become pretty important for getting the Mk5a stock in traffic. I think I’m right in saying that Scarborough will be the only traincrew depot to have just Nova 3 sets. Given that other depots are seemingly focused on getting Nova 1/Nova 2 in traffic, Scarborough would appear to be a good place to focus on with Nova 3.

Mark62

I remember when Scarborough station had 13 platforms and a very large amount of sidings for the massive amount of rolling stock that went through there(esp on weekends) BAck then, the weekend trains has 12 coaches
So they are putting back some siding the taxpayers paid to be dug up. Now the taxpayers pay(waste) more money putting them back.
You fault the British for forward planning and ripping off the taxpayers
I dont see how replacing lost sidings is an improvement when its actually a partial restoration of what was there before

Spartacus

Established Member
I remember when Scarborough station had 13 platforms and a very large amount of sidings for the massive amount of rolling stock that went through there(esp on weekends) BAck then, the weekend trains has 12 coaches
So they are putting back some siding the taxpayers paid to be dug up. Now the taxpayers pay(waste) more money putting them back.
You fault the British for forward planning and ripping off the taxpayers
I dont see how replacing lost sidings is an improvement when its actually a partial restoration of what was there before

Ok, I’ll bite. Those sidings would have had to be renewed at least once in the time between when they were taken out before today had they remained, along with all associated maintenance, and would undoubtably have been totally renewed for this work. No additional overall expense and a big saving on maintenance.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ok, I’ll bite. Those sidings would have had to be renewed at least once in the time between when they were taken out before today had they remained, along with all associated maintenance, and would undoubtably have been totally renewed for this work. No additional overall expense and a big saving on maintenance.
Plus I bet the land most of them were on was sold off returning a tidy sum to the bank account to fund other works!

sjpowermac

Established Member
In addition to which:

‘Customers travelling to and from Scarborough will also benefit from improved connectivity with new early morning departures and more services later in the day.’

https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/media-c...ion-in-new-scarborough-depot-creating-15-jobs

I suppose we could also argue that scrapping Class 40s and Mk1 stock that used to work Scarborough-Manchester SO trains and now buying Class 68s and Mk5a is also a waste;)

clagmonster

Established Member
Many thanks for taking the time to take and post the pictures. It looks like everything is nearing completion and will be ready for the ‘mid-August’ opening.

I think the depot might become pretty important for getting the Mk5a stock in traffic. I think I’m right in saying that Scarborough will be the only traincrew depot to have just Nova 3 sets. Given that other depots are seemingly focused on getting Nova 1/Nova 2 in traffic, Scarborough would appear to be a good place to focus on with Nova 3.
Are Scarborough really not going to sign 802s? Are they keeping 185s on their cards? Even if there is no plan to regularly run anything other than the hauled sets to Scarbs, having them sign the units will surely be beneficial in times of service recovery. I can easily see a set swap between a Newcastle and a Scarborough happening at Liverpool or a unit covering for an unavailable loco. Not having crews trained to work them would be barmy.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Are Scarborough really not going to sign 802s? Are they keeping 185s on their cards? Even if there is no plan to regularly run anything other than the hauled sets to Scarbs, having them sign the units will surely be beneficial in times of service recovery. I can easily see a set swap between a Newcastle and a Scarborough happening at Liverpool or a unit covering for an unavailable loco. Not having crews trained to work them would be barmy.
As I understand it, Class 802 has been signed off for running to Scarborough (I think one went the other week), but crews are Nova 3 only. Happy to be corrected, but this is what was stated some time back on the Mk5a thread.

blackfive460

According to information from elsewhere Scarborough TMD has had a Mk5a set visiting so presumably is now complete and ready to service trains.
I've also noticed that over the past few moths we've had a number of new reporting points appear on RTT; Scarborough Sig Ys6191, Scarborough Excursion Sdgs, Scarborough Tmd and Scarborough Appletons.
Can anyone tell us where that last one is?

Again, according to information elsewhere, training on Mk5a sets for Scarborough crews is supposed to begin on Monday and looking at RTT it appears that a set will be stabling in Scarborough each day.
Have a look at RTT for Wednesday; https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/SCA/2019/10/09/0000-2359?stp=S&show=all&order=wtt.
There's a Class 5 working out of Platform 1 in the morning which must come in from the TMD as it appears to return to Scarborough in the afternoon and go to the TMD until the following day. Note also that there's a West Coast Charter stabling overnight both on Wednesday and Thursday.

Last edited:

david boole

According to information from elsewhere Scarborough TMD has had a Mk5a set visiting so presumably is now complete and ready to service trains.
I've also noticed that over the past few moths we've had a number of new reporting points appear on RTT; Scarborough Sig Ys6191, Scarborough Excursion Sdgs, Scarborough Tmd and Scarborough Appletons.

Again, according to information elsewhere, training on Mk5a sets for Scarborough crews is supposed to begin on Monday and looking at RTT it appears that a set will be stabling in Scarborough each day.
Have a look at RTT for Wednesday; https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/SCA/2019/10/09/0000-2359?stp=S&show=all&order=wtt.
There's a Class 5 working out of Platform 1 in the morning which must come in from the TMD as it appears to return to Scarborough in the afternoon and go to the TMD until the following day. Note also that there's a West Coast Charter stabling overnight both on Wednesday and Thursday.
It is indeed complete and driver training does start on Monday.

sjpowermac

Established Member

Thanks for those. The 5B81/82/83/84/85/86 paths are very similar to the ones that have been used by the driver training/refresher trips with the Class 68s. The set currently at Scarborough TMD is TP11 with 68026 ‘Enterprise’. It worked in on Friday having formed the 13:56 Liverpool LS-Scarborough.

DunfordBridge

I believe Appleton's is the former name of the site of the Scarborough depot, possibly mentioned at the very start of this thread.

Thanks for those. The 5B81/82/83/84/85/86 paths are very similar to the ones that have been used by the driver training/refresher trips with the Class 68s. The set currently at Scarborough TMD is TP11 with 68026 ‘Enterprise’. It worked in on Friday having formed the 13:56 Liverpool LS-Scarborough.

I took a jog on that way on Saturday night and I did see a set berthed up in the depot.

Interesting enough, on my way to York on Tuesday IIRC, I saw what looked like a freight train consisting of tankers. This would be about 7:15am. Although I did not check Real Train Times on the internet, it did occur to me that it might have been a freight train going to the new Scarborough depot to deliver fuel.

Rapid Loader

Scarborough Appletons was the old fuel oil depot. The last freights to the terminal ran in (I think) 1991. It was a class 47 turn with a rake of TTA's. The loco used to then stable all day in Platform 1 whilst the tanks were unloaded.

Best wishes,
Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.