• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Ticket That Can No Longer Be Used

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
in the UK there is no concept of legal name, you can call yourself whatever you want, so all those ideas are dead in the water
While that may be the case, I don't see the relevance to detecting ticket resale?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I have in the past bought tickets for a friend who had no credit card. On at least one occasion he was not travelling with me. Would my name on his ticket pose any problems in your proposed scenario?

najaB

Veteran Member
I have in the past bought tickets for a friend who had no credit card. On at least one occasion he was not travelling with me. Would my name on his ticket pose any problems in your proposed scenario?
If that was directed at me then no because I've never proposed matching names to tickets. The only reason I mentioned it was in answer to exile saying there would be a need to record purchaser information. I was pointing out that it is already recorded.

In any case, it is already perfectly acceptable to buy a ticket for someone else, so unless you were buying whole carriage loads of tickets at a time there's no reason that anyone's suspicions would be aroused.

exile

Established Member
If that was directed at me then no because I've never proposed matching names to tickets. The only reason I mentioned it was in answer to exile saying there would be a need to record purchaser information. I was pointing out that it is already recorded.

It MAY be (but not if you pay by cash) but WHO THE TICKET IS FOR is not recorded.

najaB

Veteran Member
It MAY be (but not if you pay by cash) but WHO THE TICKET IS FOR is not recorded.
Which, as you correctly point out, wouldn't be sufficient information to detect casual 'sharing' of tickets between friends or family, but would be sufficient to provide evidence of wholesale ticket touting. Which as others have pointed out is the real point of this rule.

crehld

Established Member
Rovers and Rangers can have the user's name printed in that position too (although ticket sellers will often type a space or dot instead).

Indeed, I think was only asked for my name to put on the top of one twice last year (I must have bought about 20!).

exile

Established Member
Which, as you correctly point out, wouldn't be sufficient information to detect casual 'sharing' of tickets between friends or family, but would be sufficient to provide evidence of wholesale ticket touting. Which as others have pointed out is the real point of this rule.

There is a separate rule covering resale of tickets. I don't see the purpose of preventing transfer of a ticket that hasn't been used.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What is the view about tickets brought for business travel. We had a debate in the office once where a meeting was cancelled and a train ticket was offered to anyone else who happen to be travelling that day. Some one was going to a different business meeting and used it. The argument was that as it was the business that ultimately brought the ticket and therefore could decide who travelled on its behalf and hence transfer was allowed.
Well as I said earlier, it is allowed (NRCoC Condition 6). My view is that this is sensible, and it would be absurd if it wasn't!

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Indeed, I think was only asked for my name to put on the top of one twice last year (I must have bought about 20!).

I was asked once when buying a Manchester Daysaver at Wembley Central, but the clerk there did also ask me what to type in every single other box, including the discount box...

pt15sb

I have never encountered an orange ticket with a *user's* name on it

It was printed at the bottom (sorry for the hastily edited Microsoft paint job). Bought online, printed at the station.

VreGJ1z.jpg

edit: purchaser's name, not user's...d'oh!

Last edited:

crehld

Established Member
It was printed at the bottom (sorry for the hastily edited Microsoft paint job). Bought online, printed at the station.

VreGJ1z.jpg

edit: purchaser's name, not user's...d'oh!

Again to re-emphasize the point made in post 20: that is the name of the person who bought the ticket, not the name of the person who is entitled to use it (although they may be one and the same person).

Status
Not open for further replies.