• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee driver adverts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross Little

Hi All,

I have followed advice from friends and others that have been very lucky enough to see the vacancy, apply and become trainee drivers for companies. The advice being to sign up to every job alert for each company.

Feeling a bit deflated as I don't seem to receive any notification apart from this forum.

I am hoping it is only slower at the moment due to Covid19 but could anyone advise if they relied on the notifications direct from the multiple company websites or did you constantly have to check them?

I am certainly not wanting to be lazy, if I have to check them all daily, I will, but would be good to hear others application experience.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

marty1977

Check daily, sometimes 2 or 3 times. It is not unknown for vacancies to close the same day they go live.

CreamNCookies

Daily checking is the way forward. Notifications sometimes come after the ad has been up for a day or two. And often job posts are pulled before the closing date due to the sheer volume of applicants.

So what I do is when having my morning coffee have a cheeky check of all the local TOCs careers pages.

Following the companies you wish to work for on Facebook often results in a notification that they have posted roles they are recruiting for.
It is sometimes luck that you look at the right time. As others suggest daily checking of all resources helps.
Best wishes for finding something suited to you.

Ross Little

Following the companies you wish to work for on Facebook often results in a notification that they have posted roles they are recruiting for.
It is sometimes luck that you look at the right time. As others suggest daily checking of all resources helps.
Best wishes for finding something suited to you.

Thank you very much :) taking it all in

DunfordBridge

I personally prefer to check on an evening when I am able to respond to a job advert, I would not have thought it likely that a job would be posted in the middle of the night. I also prefer to apply to those companies where I know they are going to be receptive to people applying outside of their area, which seems to exclude Northern and possibly Scot Rail. Some companies specify a maximum commuting time to the advertised depot of between 30 and 60 minutes and not all companies are flexible about this.

Daily checking is the way forward. Notifications sometimes come after the ad has been up for a day or two. And often job posts are pulled before the closing date due to the sheer volume of applicants.

Indeed, some jobs are pulled after a matter of a few hours. I cannot help but be inquisitive about notifications that arrive two days after the initial posting. I know that notifications from First Group arrive by the time I get home. I have only ever missed one of their vacancies due to personal circumstances when I was not quite so vigilant.

Undiscovered

If you do intend on applying for any jobs, register now and complete all the pre-amble first: All your work history, qualifications etc. and have that all ready to go.

Search through the forum for likely questions to appear and have prewritten, genuine and truthful answers ready to copy, paste and tweak accordingly. Get someone to double check spellings and grammar too.

Sheridan

I personally prefer to check on an evening when I am able to respond to a job advert, I would not have thought it likely that a job would be posted in the middle of the night. I also prefer to apply to those companies where I know they are going to be receptive to people applying outside of their area, which seems to exclude Northern and possibly Scot Rail. Some companies specify a maximum commuting time to the advertised depot of between 30 and 60 minutes and not all companies are flexible about this.

I’m sure that some adverts do appear in the middle of the night, due to them being uploaded ahead of time and then set to go live at a certain time, which could be 0001 on the day, or some other time in the early hours. So it might be unlikely but I wouldn’t rule it out.

DunfordBridge

If you do intend on applying for any jobs, register now and complete all the pre-amble first: All your work history, qualifications etc. and have that all ready to go.

Search through the forum for likely questions to appear and have prewritten, genuine and truthful answers ready to copy, paste and tweak accordingly. Get someone to double check spellings and grammar too.

I will second that. With the First Group careers website, it is a great deal of pain to begin with, detailing experiences and education, but the website remembers your details so it is a breeze for subsequent applications, most of the time.

I’m sure that some adverts do appear in the middle of the night, due to them being uploaded ahead of time and then set to go live at a certain time, which could be 0001 on the day, or some other time in the early hours. So it might be unlikely but I wouldn’t rule it out.

I did wonder, as someone who works in IT, I know the adverts can be culled automatically so by the same token, what you are saying is possible. I have never known it happen, not in the seven years that I have been searching. If a job was posted during the night, I would have to hope that it stayed live long enough for me to be able to respond.

baz962

Established Member
I will second that. With the First Group careers website, it is a great deal of pain to begin with, detailing experiences and education, but the website remembers your details so it is a breeze for subsequent applications, most of the time.

I did wonder, as someone who works in IT, I know the adverts can be culled automatically so by the same token, what you are saying is possible. I have never known it happen, not in the seven years that I have been searching. If a job was posted during the night, I would have to hope that it stayed live long enough for me to be able to respond.
I have had a job alert email at 00.33 from EMR.

Status
Not open for further replies.