• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieMac30

Hello,

I am 14 and an aspiring train driver for Northern or TP Express. I really want to do this so what GCSE's and A Levels would I need to undertake this job?

Additionally, are there any current vacancies as I know someone who is looking?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheWalrus

Established Member
You have to wait until you're 21 anyway so a while to wait yet! There are books and cds available to help you with the tests.

8J

You can start training at 20 with some TOC's, as long as you get English, Maths and Science above a Grade C you'll meet the minimum standards. I would also look at doing a technology subject and maybe looking at personal development courses outside of the bare minimum state education. Also look at taking on a safety critical hobby like aviation or something similar.

Work experience on the railway can't harm too - you can become a guard at 18 (if they still have them by the time you're 18!!!)

1000 rounders

I am really touched by your dedication to the job! Minimum age is 21 years old, so once you turn 18, I would apply to work in the railway in another role so you can gain experience , while waiting to turn of age for train driving.

If you apply for train driving from outside, you normally need 5 A-C passes, English and Maths included. Or an equivalent subject, such I.T or science subjects (A level)

If you apply from inside, you can find it far easier, as most insiders may not even have those qualifications.

There are lots of books out there with the psychometric tests, so you can have lots of practice before you start!

I wish you lots of success.

Wallicio

If you apply for train driving from outside, you normally need 5 A-C passes, English and Maths included. Or an equivalent subject, such I.T or science subjects (A level).

Not entirely accurate.

I didn't pass 5 GCSE's A-C
I also do not have any A levels.
I have lifted boxes for pretty much minimum wage my entire working life in a warehouse with no vocational training bar a couple of forklift truck licences.

I am currently in a talent pool having passed every entry assessment awaiting placement to a course.

andy42

You do not need any GCSE's or A levels to become a driver, but you do need to pass an aptitude test that will include an element of English and Maths.

You have to be 21 to drive Main line but some TOCs recruit shunt drivers and depot drivers at 18.

Also lots of TOCs now offer apprenticeships I would try and start at that level then apply internaly

Berries

Good for you CharlieMac! I'm 38 and have just been hired as a trainee driver. My only regret is not going for this at 21.

One thing you will need to keep in mind, is that you will need to prove the ability to work alone, via your experiences. If you don't have this experience, go out and get it. Prove to yourself that you can do it before facing the psychologist in the MMI.

Bromley boy

Established Member
I'm currently training as a driver in London, and would advise as follows.

The typical trainee driver age range in my TOC is late twenties upwards, with the majority in their 30s or older, from a range of backgrounds and walks of life. What they have in common is that they have passed the tests to get in, and have a decent work history behind them. I'm aware of one chap who is 22 but he is the exception rather than the rule.

Academics aren't important, but remember as part of the process you will have to undergo rigorous aptitude testing which, with the exception of the group boredon "dots" test, cannot be practiced for. In my case I have a degree and this was not of great importance, although the interviewers commented favourably on it. I still had to pass the same tests as everyone else.

Part of this testing is the multi-modal interview which is competency based and will require you to draw from your past experiences to demonstrate competencies required for the driver role. I would say get as much work / hobby experience as possible in whatever field - customer service, team working and any kind of "safety critical" responsibilities are particularly valued.

If you apply before gaining much experience you may pass the aptitude tests but fail the interview, and you only get two attempts at the process before you are barred for life. Worth remembering and ensuring you develop good experience before applying. You have a few years ahead of you to do this, and also think of a back up plan in case you change your mind about train driving or don't manage to pass the assessments.

Best of luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.