• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee driver oppurtunities drying up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stjimmy87

Is it just me or do there seem to be a lack of trainee mainline and depot driver jobs coming up at the moment?

My local ones are EMT and external trainee opportunities seem to have stopped in the past 2 years. Northern don't seem to have as many as they used to as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 9

Driver recruitment has always been a series of ups and downs, lots of recruitment for a while then nothing for a couple of years. Add to this over the last couple of years there has been a lot of redundancies at the railfreight companies, so TOCs have been able to recruit qualified staff.
I'd hang in there, keep looking and set up updates with all the companies you'd be interested in.

Up_Tilt_390

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Train Driver vacancies are rare, and often times when they recruit it could be either internally or for qualified positions only. Sometimes you'll get an external position with Northern if you're lucky though, especially when they share depots with big intercity operators who like to take qualified drivers because it's cheaper for them.

Personally I think one of the reasons the job is rare is because it tends to be a job for life given the union protection and lack of redundancies (let's face it, there'll always be a need for train drivers so long as automation doesn't come in). Not to mention the pay is substantial, so those who have no further ambition might just want to stick with the job for the money.

Although, given HS2 will be arriving within the next ten years I imagine they'll be taking on new drivers for those trains, or they'll do what Eurostar does and take those with experience of high speed trains. Either way, the drivers are going to come from somewhere, so if you live within a good enough proximity to the areas which will be affected you might just be able to catch a vacancy if you're after one. All the best regardless though.

Is it just me or do there seem to be a lack of trainee mainline and depot driver jobs coming up at the moment?

My local ones are EMT and external trainee opportunities seem to have stopped in the past 2 years. Northern don't seem to have as many as they used to as well.

It is very very slow at the moment, the freight redundancies mean LM, Chiltern, Northern and EMT have got people queued up ready and even those who only take qualifieds like VTWC and XC have taken ex-freight so there is no flow from other TOCs to them. Everything has ground to a halt. All the FOCs are only advertising for qualifieds too. It's really dispiriting i give you that!

At a guess, as someone else mentioned, EMT will be depot driver advertising early next year, LM not for ages, but DBS might be reasonably soon from what i hear.

baz962

Established Member
It is very very slow at the moment, the freight redundancies mean LM, Chiltern, Northern and EMT have got people queued up ready and even those who only take qualifieds like VTWC and XC have taken ex-freight so there is no flow from other TOCs to them. Everything has ground to a halt. All the FOCs are only advertising for qualifieds too. It's really dispiriting i give you that!

At a guess, as someone else mentioned, EMT will be depot driver advertising early next year, LM not for ages, but DBS might be reasonably soon from what i hear.

Is it possible with the thameslink project/upgrade and with southern being told or advised (sure I saw on this forum somewhere), to take on more drivers due to the working to rule that govia will keep recruiting for a while. Also are abelio putting more services and trains on when they take over the London midland franchise,might then take some.

JonnyH

Dam shame, they have a 2 year limit on psychometric test scores and mine ends in February :(
Hi stjimmy87. Where have you heard that EMT only take results for 2 years? I'm in a similar position to you as EMT are my local company and took my tests around the same time as you so will be valid until the same sort of time with various companies. I will move anywhere in the country for the job as I don't have any ties but not many will let you relocate anymore! I had an interview at Chiltern earlier this year, interview went well but when I received my rejection letter it cited location as the problem (even though they'd told me at interview that it wasn't!) Applied for GWR a couple of months ago for Reading, done 2 online assessments and heard from them yesterday saying I'd passed but location meant I couldn't be considered. Same with a Thameslink and Northern! So leaves EMT really! Let's hope they advertise soon for both our sakes!

Hi stjimmy87. Where have you heard that EMT only take results for 2 years? I'm in a similar position to you as EMT are my local company and took my tests around the same time as you so will be valid until the same sort of time with various companies. I will move anywhere in the country for the job as I don't have any ties but not many will let you relocate anymore! I had an interview at Chiltern earlier this year, interview went well but when I received my rejection letter it cited location as the problem (even though they'd told me at interview that it wasn't!) Applied for GWR a couple of months ago for Reading, done 2 online assessments and heard from them yesterday saying I'd passed but location meant I couldn't be considered. Same with a Thameslink and Northern! So leaves EMT really! Let's hope they advertise soon for both our sakes!

It's definitely only 2 years for emt, heard that off one of their HR people. The last emt depot drivers ad was oct/nov 2015. The majority of people taken on from that are still in a talent pool. Their plans were hamstrung by aslef/dft forcing them to take on qualified freight drivers. I initially heard their new plan was to take on at some point in 2017 but that is looking like 2018 now. Will be the longest gap between depot driver recruitments they've ever had.

Starman

I'm in the talent pool with LM. Applied for the job in August 2015 and have been told no courses now until 2018. This I assume is because the same happened with LM as with EMT. Once Abellio take over the 2018 courses could be subject to change according to my last email received from recruitment. I'm clinging on to the hope that Abellio will need to run more courses next year due to the plans they have in terms of running extra and more frequent services. However my assessments were valid with LM for 5 years and I'm not sure this will be the case with Abellio once they take over?

Last edited:

JonnyH

Sounds like there are quite a few of us in similar positions then with unfortunate timing! I hope your situation with LM still carries over to Abellio Starman. What's your position Spankthemonkey? You were in for the Chiltern jobs too weren't you?

Starman

Thanks for the kind words JonnyH. If it was a case of just being patient and waiting for a start date I could quite happily do that but with all these obstacles and variables popping up and not knowing if I will be offered a position after all the hard work and waiting so far is frustrating to say the least. By reading through many threads on this forum however, it's quite obvious that this seems to be a common situation with many applicants.

stjimmy87

To be honest I've spent too long constantly thinking about what if there is another vacancy. I am not giving up on the dream but I am not gonna let it dominate my thoughts anymore. I only moved house last year so I am not prepared to move in the near future especially as I have a family to consider. All the best to you though I am sure we will live the dream one day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.