• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Senior Conductor Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffyCPT

Hi everyone, I have an interview with WMT coming up soon, could anyone tell me what sort of questions I could expect to be asked in the interview?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duffyCPT

Ok.

I recently applied for Crewe and have had an invite to online assessment. Have you done this already? If so what's it like?
If its the SJT then it gives you about 20 different scenarios with 4 choices, these are in different roles in stations and on board so not all are relevant to senior conductor, they are fairly simple so just pick the most sensible option. One thing i will tell you is safety is the priority, even if there's a customer friendly option, pick the one that guarantees safety.

Good luck!

Preston20

Hi,

again, tho is slightly off topic but I applied for the same position at new street back in July and after the SJT, heard nothing for quite a while. A few days ago I was sent a link to complete online OPC tests. Have you also completed these? If so, how long have you waited between then and finding out if you’ve passed? There doesn’t seem to be anyone else going through the process for Birmingham new street on here.

duffyCPT

Hi,

again, tho is slightly off topic but I applied for the same position at new street back in July and after the SJT, heard nothing for quite a while. A few days ago I was sent a link to complete online OPC tests. Have you also completed these? If so, how long have you waited between then and finding out if you’ve passed? There doesn’t seem to be anyone else going through the process for Birmingham new street on here.
Did you get the email in September saying they had put the application on hold? That's why it took quite a while if you didn't receive it. I was sent the link for the OPC on 11th Nov, the deadline was for the 17th and on 24th Nov I was sent a link to book an interview, there were only about 5-6 options to pick from with different dates and times so they might be doing them in stages im not quite sure though

Preston20

Yeah I received the email about it being put on hold. I assumed till next year, so it just came out of the blue I suppose. Hopefully I hear back soon! And good luck for your interview. There is a couple of threads talking about the interview regarding the types of questions and using the star technique if no one else replies to you

duffyCPT

Yeah I received the email about it being put on hold. I assumed till next year, so it just came out of the blue I suppose. Hopefully I hear back soon! And good luck for your interview. There is a couple of threads talking about the interview regarding the types of questions and using the star technique if no one else replies to you
Thanks!

I put this up originally because I could only find old questions with London Midland and other operators, I eventually found a question that explained a bit. I hope you hear back soon, and good luck for the interview when you do! I know exactly how it feels to be left in the dark about these things

Zontar

If its the SJT then it gives you about 20 different scenarios with 4 choices, these are in different roles in stations and on board so not all are relevant to senior conductor, they are fairly simple so just pick the most sensible option. One thing i will tell you is safety is the priority, even if there's a customer friendly option, pick the one that guarantees safety.

Good luck!
That's great, thanks

SuperRam

Good luck with your interview, I have OPC assessments to complete tonight. Could I ask if you get the results of the tests back fairly swiftly. Thanks

westbrom

My lad just failed the tests but no feedback on why.
Thinks that it was the tct as counted the wrong travel card being listed on the ticket as a error,plus the travel card was not valid at that time as an error.
I am thinking he should of just counted it as one.
Oh well can try again after 6 months

SuperRam

Yeh unfortunately I did not pass the OPC assessment, I believe it was down to the ticketing check test. Which in my opinion is vague, for example if a student gave you a train ticket which had not been discounted via a railcard then how is that an error, they have paid full price. Any how good luck to your son for next time

Preston20

You heard back pretty quickly after the OPC assessments then? I haven’t heard anything yet. After the test I felt like I may have done the wrong thing with the ticket checking test and the discount cards

newtownmgr

My son applied for a Snr Conductor vacancy. Did the OPC last week, didn’t get any results back but has been invited for a teams interview next week. Assume from that he passed the OPC.

Established Member
The SJT (Situational Judgement Test) isn't a railway-standard OPC test, by the way. It's something that they've added to lazily whittle down applicant numbers. (imo)

This type of shoddy SJT is something new at WMT, used previously by the likes of Northern HR or FirstGroup's companies. It is hashed together by rent-a-test firm SHL (Saville & Holdsworth, Surrey... also trades as CEB) and my sympathies to anyone who had to go through that test which for most questions, had no relevance to the role of a guard and often had (imo) three perfectly correct answers to choose from - meaning passing it is down to pot luck, not good customer service skills.

SuperRam

OPC assessments completed Thursday night, informed Monday that it was a fail. Hope that helps, and good luck to anyone else.

Hi Everyone,

I did my OPC test last week and got feedback today I have been successful, so they invited me for online interview. Anyone else here who applied for Worcester station?

Last edited:

newtownmgr

Hi Everyone,

I did my OPC test last week and got feedback today I have been successful, so they invited me for online interview. Anyone else here who applied for Worcester station?
My son has. He’s not on here tho. Good luck with the interview

Preston20

Found out yesterday that I’ve successfully passed the assessments and I’m progressing to an interview. Just waiting on available dates to be sent to me. Anyone else done their interview? How did you find it?

Found out yesterday that I’ve successfully passed the assessments and I’m progressing to an interview. Just waiting on available dates to be sent to me. Anyone else done their interview? How did you find it?
Congrats, which station?

I had very pleasant interview experience. General competency based questions. Interviewers was friendly and professional. Fingers crossed. Good luck for you. When is your interview?

I had very pleasant interview experience. General competency based questions. Interviewers was friendly and professional. Fingers crossed. Good luck for you. When is your interview?
Your job interview for talent pool or available position?

Preston20

Your job interview for talent pool or available position?
Was it over MS teams? I haven’t been given a date yet, I’ve been told I have an interview but they’re waiting for the senior conductor team to send over more available dates and times. Birmingham new street is a talent pool position as far as I’m aware.

Was it over MS teams? I haven’t been given a date yet, I’ve been told I have an interview but they’re waiting for the senior conductor team to send over more available dates and times. Birmingham new street is a talent pool position as far as I’m aware.
Yeah MS

Does your son had already his interview or any results yet?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.