• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Service Driver - Neville Hill EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FManc

I think this would be a great stepping stone into becoming a mainline driver at EMT! One thing I can't seem to grasp is if you're deemed to be a qualified driver once you pass out as a Service Driver?

lammergeier

I think this would be a great stepping stone into becoming a mainline driver at EMT! One thing I can't seem to grasp is if you're deemed to be a qualified driver once you pass out as a Service Driver?

You almost certainly wouldn't be able to apply to qualified driver roles with other TOCs, in common with other depot driver roles/locations. EMT has historically promoted depot drivers from Nottingham and Derby into the main line links, with drivers having to do a shortened mainline course as opposed to full blown driver training upon promotion. However, EMT doesn't have a depot at Leeds with drivers being taxied to and from Derby so how it works at Neville Hill I'm not sure.

FManc

You almost certainly wouldn't be able to apply to qualified driver roles with other TOCs, in common with other depot driver roles/locations. EMT has historically promoted depot drivers from Nottingham and Derby into the main line links, with drivers having to do a shortened mainline course as opposed to full blown driver training upon promotion. However, EMT doesn't have a depot at Leeds with drivers being taxied to and from Derby so how it works at Neville Hill I'm not sure.

Cheers for that info. I know the job spec for Notts/Derby mentioned that 'natural progression in this role is to become the Mainline Drivers of the future'. Now I've re-read the job list, this one doesn't seem to mention anything like that.

Last edited:

lammergeier

Cheers for that info. I know the job spec for Notts/Derby mentioned that 'natural progression in this role is to become the Mainline Drivers of the future'. Now I've re-read the job list, this one doesn't seem to mention anything like that.

I wouldn't let it put you off applying however. Depot driving is a great job in itself and would almost certainly put you in a strong position when applying for main line roles, but they would probably have to be trainee roles unless EMT run an internal program for drivers from depots other than Nottingham and Derby.

heedfan

Thanks for posting.

Do these sorts of roles generally stay open until the closing date or are they likely to close early like mainline trainee roles?

lammergeier

I'm sorry I don't know but knowing railway recruitment it's probably best to apply sooner rather than later.

EastMidsMatt

Thanks for posting.

Do these sorts of roles generally stay open until the closing date or are they likely to close early like mainline trainee roles?
These roles get hundreds of applications. Take your time as applications filled in incorrectly or with poor grammar etc get binned but don't dilly dally!

EastMidsMatt

Why is it service driver in Leeds and depot driver in notts derby ? Curious
Probably because NH is a joint venture between EMT and Northern? Also I'm not sure whether service drivers are in line for the natural progression to mainline with EMT because of this, although it would still be a good option I'd have thought

Tomnick

Established Member
Service drivers at Neville Hill don’t go onto the national network, so don’t (or didn’t!) need a European train driving licence or rules training to the same extent as depot drivers. They get a lot more involved with shunting duties on the ground there, though.

Nothing to do with Northern - they share their side of the depot with East Coast, and indeed the service drivers certainly used to sign 91s too.

EastMidsMatt

Service drivers at Neville Hill don’t go onto the national network, so don’t (or didn’t!) need a European train driving licence or rules training to the same extent as depot drivers. They get a lot more involved with shunting duties on the ground there, though.

Nothing to do with Northern - they share their side of the depot with East Coast, and indeed the service drivers certainly used to sign 91s too.
Aahh right, thanks for clearing that up!

I had an email today to say that I have been shortlisted, and will be advised the next stages in due course.

heedfan

Does anyone know if EMT require and enhanced pass for psychometric for such a role?

Scouse_scott

Does anyone know if EMT require and enhanced pass for psychometric for such a role?

Yes, they require the enhanced standard. Also not all Tocs use the same enhanced standard some want higher scores so you may still have to sit some again even if you have an enhanced standard.

Mr Paul Vander

Been invited to an assessment on Wed 9 May in Derby! Was such a shock to actually make the shortlist if I'm honest haha. How best should I prepare for the Stage 1 other than reading the practice materials they email?

heedfan

Yes, they require the enhanced standard. Also not all Tocs use the same enhanced standard some want higher scores so you may still have to sit some again even if you have an enhanced standard.

Many thanks. Hopefully won’t have to sit the whole whack of them again!

Scouse_scott

Do you have an enhanced pass for the whole thing? MMI included?

Tbh on the day for the stage 1 testing, everyone that came to EMT with an enhanced pass from other tocs still had to resit the dots test. So expect to re sit that one at least.

heedfan

Do you have an enhanced pass for the whole thing? MMI included?

Tbh on the day for the stage 1 testing, everyone that came to EMT with an enhanced pass from other tocs still had to resit the dots test. So expect to re sit that one at least.

I sat the psychometrics with VTEC last year who don’t require an enchanced pass so I’m not sure what I have to what level beyond national standard. I didn’t find the stage 1 stuff too stressful so I’m happy to have another bash if I’m required to do so.

Truthfully I wasn’t aware that MMI could be enhanced, I thought that was simply a yes or no sort of job. Every day is a learning day!

heedfan

Best of luck to everyone attending tomorrow, looking forward to meeting you all.

I got a email today saying the testing is fully booked tomorrow so I will be booked on the next one, at least I'm on the shortlist.

mouleaj

Im on the shortlist for this job as well. How did you guys get on yesterday?

smoore102

I am also on the shortlist. So jealous of the people that went on Wednesday, just want to get on with the process now. Hope you all did well.

heedfan

Haven’t heard anything today but then I wouldn’t necessarily expect to. There were about 20 candidates there and the venue was pleasant and comfortable so all good really.

Mr Paul Vander

Got an email this morning saying I'd passed stage 1 to enhanced standard. How have all you guys got on??

Status
Not open for further replies.