• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver (and now qualified/'part-qualified') - Newcastle - East Coast Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobb

I'm in same boat. I think they must be waiting until they can source a venue to hold the tests at when bars etc can reopen.
It's frustrating and you would have thought they would at least have confirmed it all and sent training material through

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KJ83

Nothing yet.

Even if you missed the email you'd still have got the practice material in the post.

Chris_1892

Just received an e-mail now for the Psycometrics at the Crown Plaza, Newcastle on either 14th, 15th , 16th, 17th, 21st, 22nd July - 0900 to 1730 so I assume all tests will take place in the day (Wasn’t sure if they would split over 2 days). Good Luck to you all.

Dobb

yes seen it had came through. Booked mine for the 17th. Good luck to all attending (obviously not as good as me hopefully no offence haha)

Driver068

Previously it has been known that the day is split in 3 parts.
You will do your paper tests 1st, they will be marked, those who have failed anything are then sent home.
After that you will do the computer tests, again marked then those who fail anything sent home.

After those are completed youll move onto the SJE then MMI.

Bearing in mind it could be different or changed by now but that is how i have experienced it.

Hope that helps

Dobb

Good luck to all those with their assessments this week. Let us know how you get on

beeb375

Thanks! I'm nervous about the MMI, but the other stuff should at least not be too terrifying, whether I do well or not!

kevt5034

Yeah good luck to all those taking their tests - if your successful it’s going to be a quick turnaround for final interview!

Dobb

Could I ask anybody who has done their assessment, did you take a face mask with you and if you did, did it need to be worn?

beeb375

Could I ask how did you find the day and did you manage you keep your nerves at bay?
Well, the research I did on here (especially this post) gave me a pretty good idea about what to expect from the tests, so read that if you haven't already. That put my mind at ease for the paper and computer based tests.

In terms of nerves, I was mostly nervous about the MMI, but it was very similar to a standard competency based interview, just with a bit more prompting and a few related hypothetical questions. For example if you were explaining a time you followed rules and procedures, you might then be asked how you'd react to someone who didn't follow the rules.

Good luck if you're going tomorrow!

Dobb

Sorry, 1 last question. Did you drive to the centre, if so did you park in the hotel car park or on the street that's pay and display?
Thanks

beeb375

Sorry, 1 last question. Did you drive to the centre, if so did you park in the hotel car park or on the street that's pay and display?
Thanks
I drove and parked at Grainger Town car park. £7 for the day and very tight ramps in and out. Not sure what the hotel car park is like.

kevt5034

Well, the research I did on here (especially this post) gave me a pretty good idea about what to expect from the tests, so read that if you haven't already. That put my mind at ease for the paper and computer based tests.

In terms of nerves, I was mostly nervous about the MMI, but it was very similar to a standard competency based interview, just with a bit more prompting and a few related hypothetical questions. For example if you were explaining a time you followed rules and procedures, you might then be asked how you'd react to someone who didn't follow the rules.

Thanks - I’m a couple days away but this forum and sample tests you can get are really helpful indeed. Hopefully you did well in yours then.

KJ83

Did you find out if youve been passed through for a DMI?

How many attended your assessment? and did you all pass the exams?

Mines coming up and as it gets closer, im bricking it!

kevt5034

The information pack mentioned you’d find out afterwards which I found strange considering all posts on this forum indicate you find out on the day. Suppose we’ll find out soon enough.

alandavies80

Well I'm out. Absolutely gutted failed on 2 hand coordination which is what I found the easiest overall! OPC were poor in their feedback only giving me that the computer decides when I questioned exactly what I had failed about that part. Good luck to all who are still left especially the 2 lads who got to the end today. Gutted.

kevt5034

Sorry to hear that, hopefully in 6 months you get to try again with a TOC now you know what to expect and go further.

alandavies80

Sorry to hear that, hopefully in 6 months you get to try again with a TOC now you know what to expect and go further.
Thanks for the kind words. One thing I can say is how friendly everyone I have met have been and feel what a great job the railway would be.

KJ83

Well I'm out. Absolutely gutted failed on 2 hand coordination which is what I found the easiest overall! OPC were poor in their feedback only giving me that the computer decides when I questioned exactly what I had failed about that part. Good luck to all who are still left especially the 2 lads who got to the end today. Gutted.

Ah god, is it that bad??

beeb375

Ah god, is it that bad??
Is for some, not for others. Everyone will find different parts more difficult. Two-hand coordination is tricky because all you know is that speed AND accuracy are important. That doesn't mean you can NEVER leave the track, but who knows how many times is too many, or how slow is too slow? Some people seem to think it might be related to whether you improve or maintain skill as the runs go on (ten goes I think).

But since everyone is just guessing, all or none of this could be true! Maybe in years to come, long after new tests have taken over, someone will get hold of the software and look at the source code to discover how it's marked. Until then, just do your best!

PickleTree

Ah god, is it that bad??
The 2 hand is tricky, my advice is practice as many times as you like on the test one. If you don’t let it get to the end of the track you can keep practicing. Also the key thing is how quickly you get the ball back on track when it does go outside. Another test where speed and accuracy are of equal importance.

KJ83

The 2 hand is tricky, my advice is practice as many times as you like on the test one. If you don’t let it get to the end of the track you can keep practicing. Also the key thing is how quickly you get the ball back on track when it does go outside. Another test where speed and accuracy are of equal importance.

Thanks!

I wasn't that worried about it but after seeing Alan's post it's made me a bit nervous I got to admit.

Chris_1892

Best of luck to everyone remaining/taken them and awaiting results. I had my Pyscometrics today and passed everything bar the WAFT test. I am gutted, I thought the square was flashing black more than it should rather than grey to black. Like Alan said above, I think the hardest part is not knowing how badly you did or if you were just off the pass mark. Take care everyone and best of luck in all your ventures!

Dobb

Morning all, just a question of the people who have sat the assessments, how many people reached the Mmi stage? Were you/they told they had passed that on the day?
Thanks

Dobb

Was you dmi through zoom? What sort of things were asked if you don't mind me asking?
I was always under the impression that the Mmi was the hardest as they really probed you but dmi was about the company etc

Status
Not open for further replies.