• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver (and now qualified/'part-qualified') - Newcastle - East Coast Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

train-safe

To be fair they have been advertising for quite a while now, says to me they are perhaps struggling to bring in qualified drivers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Driver068

This is the 4th time in the space of 12 months they have been looking to recruit Qualified drivers, on top of a current trainees course which is ongoing. The last advertisement closed on the 20th Jan only to be readvertised on the 22nd Jan. I would say very much so struggling but thats down to a mixture of of the lack of drivers applying but also to the criteria set by the company and its interviews.

Will they recruit the required drivers, probably but will take time for a number of reason. Id say they will struggle to fill the numbers by Oct 2021 when they go live.

DriverEight

Popped up in my inbox again today as a "new" vacancy, closing date now mid-april. Re-advertised due to lack of interest, perhaps?

Driver068

Depends on the company. Previously ECTL were recruiting part Qualified drivers to where T&W Metro drivers fell into this category as they did not hold a ETDL. After looking at the current advertisement it states you MUST hold this to apply. If they waiver this depending on the applicant i am unsure.

KJ83

Popped up in my inbox again today as a "new" vacancy, closing date now mid-april. Re-advertised due to lack of interest, perhaps?

I don't think its lack of interest. Maybe they can afford to be really picky about who they want and aren't getting the people they want in?

Do T&W Metro drivers count as qualified?

I'm guessing the part qualified previously advertised was aimed at them, so this time around probably just fully qualified

Driver068

I don't think its lack of interest. Maybe they can afford to be really picky about who they want and aren't getting the people they want in?
Maybe, but you would think after 14 months of applications, yes covid19 has had an impact, they would of found the drivers needed for their launch. Considering many TOCs require 6 months notice i believe?

KJ83

Maybe, but you would think after 14 months of applications, yes covid19 has had an impact, they would of found the drivers needed for their launch. Considering many TOCs require 6 months notice i believe?

I can see why some drivers would be nervous jumping from franchise to OA though. It will be interesting to see once First East Coast are up and running and recruit in future how much interest they will have.

I will be surprised if they launch with a full schedule, I believe there is some major delays with the units from Hitachi anyway.

TJ123

Re-advertised again today
In all fairness, when Greater Anglia were looking for Qualified Drivers they had the advert open for like 6months+ but had the closing date advertised in 6months, East Coast should just do the same and put a closing date of like September or something.

Red Devil

This is open access. In these uncertain times I wouldn't be leaving a TOC to go and drive for these I'm afraid. If it didn't work out I believe it could be difficult to get back on with a TOC. Not worth the risk I'm afraid

centro-323

This is open access. In these uncertain times I wouldn't be leaving a TOC to go and drive for these I'm afraid. If it didn't work out I believe it could be difficult to get back on with a TOC. Not worth the risk I'm afraid

I see where you're coming from, but we've got big changes coming in the formerly-franchised TOCs and the government no doubt keen on squeezing every penny possible from the railways. I'd argue that joining an open-access company with the weight of First Group behind it isn't much riskier, especially given they're targeting the leisure market between the UK's two largest capitals rather than the decimated commuter business.

Red Devil

I see where you're coming from, but we've got big changes coming in the formerly-franchised TOCs and the government no doubt keen on squeezing every penny possible from the railways. I'd argue that joining an open-access company with the weight of First Group behind it isn't much riskier, especially given they're targeting the leisure market between the UK's two largest capitals rather than the decimated commuter business.
I know we've big changes coming. Hence staying with the devil you know than going with the one you don't

Driver068

Been taken down early for the first time since November. Wonder if they have finally got their allocated drivers for now

KJ83

Exactly! Personally I think OAOs will become more popular in the future, if you get it right there's a lot of money to be made in OA. I think there will be some big changes on the ex Franchised side of things too, maybe some reduced frequencies with OAO services used to fill the gaps.

rbromage@gmail

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, I have an interview with these guys next week for a qualified driver in Newcastle and after reading this forum I am slightly apprehensive to be honest. I'm currently working at Southeastern HS and just need a change, The pension with these guys concerns me a bit, as in not final salary. Does anyone know what the salary is for a qualified driver at ECTL in comparison to LNER? They say it's "competitive", if this was true the two salaries should be very similar.

Driver068

No where near the same as LNER in regards to salary. I have heard from someone i know whos had an interview its around 58,000 up too 65,000 as a DI/Instructor. But not 100%

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, I have an interview with these guys next week for a qualified driver in Newcastle and after reading this forum I am slightly apprehensive to be honest. I'm currently working at Southeastern HS and just need a change, The pension with these guys concerns me a bit, as in not final salary. Does anyone know what the salary is for a qualified driver at ECTL in comparison to LNER? They say it's "competitive", if this was true the two salaries should be very similar.
Tbh, unless you’re desperate to relocate then in your shoes I wouldn’t even consider it

Hincappie

My advice, have the interview, ask the salary and make your own mind up. What have you got to lose? You can always decline if you get an offer and change your mind.

You’ll always be inundated with doom and gloom on here when you ask questions like this.

Established Member

Welcome to the forum. It might be worth asking the mods if your username can be changed to hide your partial email address.

I’d echo the previous poster and be little careful with this one. If you want to move further north (assuming you’re in deep Kent currently given where SE’s HS depots are) there are various TOCs who and do recruit qualifieds. LNER, XC and Avanti have all recruited recently and quite honestly they’re a safer bet offering better money, Ts and Cs and will enable you to continue with the railway pension. You’ll also get away from DOO!

On the assumption there’s no pressure to move immediately, if I were in your position, I’d bide my time and wait for one of those to open up again.

My advice, have the interview, ask the salary and make your own mind up. What have you got to lose? You can always decline if you get an offer and change your mind.

You’ll always be inundated with doom and gloom on here when you ask questions like this.

The “doom and gloom” as you put it is advice from people doing the job already who have spent years working in the industry. From your previous posts you’re still trying to crack a trainee job. That’s a totally different market and irrelevant to the situation of the poster you’ve just replied to, as discussed ad nauseam on other threads.

centro-323

£60k basic but may offer more based on experience. Driver dispatch using cameras, no traditional guards role as the on board staff will be focussed on the customer service side of things.

As for all the other comments on here, you'll have to make your own mind up!

rbromage@gmail

Thanks for the replies. I'll see what the interview brings. I've not had an interview for ages, so it'll be good experience.

notadriver

Established Member
Lner do not allow relocation. You must already live within an hour of the depot you’re applying for and competition is intense.

Hincappie

Welcome to the forum. It might be worth asking the mods if your username can be changed to hide your partial email address.

I’d echo the previous poster and be little careful with this one. If you want to move further north (assuming you’re in deep Kent currently given where SE’s HS depots are) there are various TOCs who and do recruit qualifieds. LNER, XC and Avanti have all recruited recently and quite honestly they’re a safer bet offering better money, Ts and Cs and will enable you to continue with the railway pension. You’ll also get away from DOO!

On the assumption there’s no pressure to move immediately, if I were in your position, I’d bide my time and wait for one of those to open up again.

The “doom and gloom” as you put it is advice from people doing the job already who have spent years working in the industry. From your previous posts you’re still trying to crack a trainee job. That’s a totally different market and irrelevant to the situation of the poster you’ve just replied to, as discussed ad nauseam on other threads.
Yep, I can still read despite your assessment of where I am in the industry and this forum is regularly (though not exclusively) frequented by people who have indeed been in the industry for many years and as a result are unionised, tired, bitter and full of resentment at just about everything ever mentioned. I hear it everyday in the industry in real life (yes, I do work in it) as well as read it on here.
Advising someone to make their own mind up on whether or not to take a job offer based on a poor/good pension doesn’t require years of experience in anything other than being an adult.

dctraindriver

Yep, I can still read despite your assessment of where I am in the industry and this forum is regularly (though not exclusively) frequented by people who have indeed been in the industry for many years and as a result are unionised, tired, bitter and full of resentment at just about everything ever mentioned. I hear it everyday in the industry in real life (yes, I do work in it) as well as read it on here.
Advising someone to make their own mind up on whether or not to take a job offer based on a poor/good pension doesn’t require years of experience in anything other than being an adult.
What's unionised got to do with it?

the sniper

Established Member

If the rail staff on this forum are "are unionised, tired, bitter and full of resentment", I'd hate to think what you make of those who aren't even interested enough in the industry to spend their own time on rail forums!

Thanks for the replies. I'll see what the interview brings. I've not had an interview for ages, so it'll be good experience.

Definitely have the interview, always good for experience regardless. Have questions ready to ask them at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.