• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee train driver assessment day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wroyal

Which TOC is this with?
hello everyone ive had an assesment day and on the vigilance test (the one with the square that changes colour) i clicked when ive had to, however ive clicked twice accidently when i didnt have to.
Can i literally admit ive failed on that one then?
Hi.. Is vigilance test part of VTS test?

Which TOC is this with?
GTR

Hi and congratulations on getting through to your assessment day!

I recently attended an assessment day with a TOC which accepts national standards.

I understand that many TOCs have around 20-25 people taking the tests on that day. The TOC which assessed me, however, assesses fewer people at once (8 were due to attend but only 5 did). Of the 5 who attended, two worked for the TOC in guard or ticket office roles, and at least one of the absentees, too.

The TOC should have e-mailed you an information pack telling you what tests would be conducted, the procedures for them and giving your ideas for practice before the day.

The tests are designed to be psychometric, hence they assess your capabilities. I saw that when doing the tests. There are some people I know who I think could practice full time and still never pass. It assesses inate abilities, although, of course, some practice in advance can help you a little.

Initially, we were asked to wait in a waiting room. We were asked 1-by-1 to go into an interview room where our identity, including NI number, was checked. We were also given a colour-blind test. In this test, you have to read the numbers which you can see in circles made of different colours. Warning: There are some trick ones! There are no numbers on some of them - don't try finding one, just say you can't see one!

When that was conducted, we were taken to a room where we each had a desk with stationery provided. I brought my own pens which I usually use which I find comfortable.

The first test was the Group Bourdon Test. There's a downloadable online tool you can find as a sticky on this forum. I initially started doing it online and then moved on to printing and doing them on paper. You do get used to the patterns of dots on the tool, and they are different on the actual test, although the skills are transferrable. There are various people on this forum who quote how many lines you need to complete and how many errors you can make to pass. I was doing about 9 or 10 lines on the printouts from the tool with only 1 or 2 mistakes per page and I passed. Be very sceptical of people who say you need to complete 14 or 15 lines with no more than one mistake! (Of course, some TOCs require enhanced testing, which may require slightly more.) There was also a practice section at the start. The practice grids in the information booklet were less helpful than the tool (using letters rather than dots).

We then had a break while the test was marked. One person was asked into the interview room to be told that he failed so he was sent home.

The next test was the Test of Everyday Attention (TEA-Occ). This measures attention to multiple things and how well you can multi-task.
Part 1 required us to listen to beeps (some with low tones, others with 'high' but I'd call them moderate-to-low). You will need to count just certain tones (can't remember if it was low or high). An example is available here, but there weren't so many tones for each question: https://traineetraindriverinfo.com/low-tones-test-track-1/
Part 2 required us to do some simple telephone directory work. I think it was finding companies in a particular trade with a rating of three stars and with a phone number with a particular area code. It wasn't rocket science and probably doesn't need much practising, but it is designed to make you work quickly. You might not finish and don't need to.
Part 3 was the hardest, combining both part 1 and part 2. You hear number 1 read out and a number of beeps (only one tone this time). You need to write the number down when told. This continues. At the same time, you have a telephone directory task similar to part 2. You are told that both parts are of equal importance. You must use different pens for both tasks. When doing it, I got a good sense that I was truly multi-tasking. It's a good test, actually!
The booklet gives you some activities to help you. Recognising symbols probably isn't too difficult for most people. If you have somebody who could play patterns of two tones on a keyboard or piano (written down first so the answers can be assessed), that might help you, and also if they can play similar tones while they asked you to do a reading task / telephone directory task / wordsearch. However, I didn't practise much for this test and I know some others didn't either, and we passed.

The next test was the Trainability for Rules and Procedures Test (TRP), Part 1 which assesses how well you can learn new things. The railway rulebook is huge for a start, and you will also need to learn about fault finding and repairing, not to mention route knowledge. We were given a two-page information sheet explaining how "GLOP" is applied to the rails using a locomotive and application vehicle operated by a driver and a guard, including what controls there are, the colours and locations of them, when they should be used, the signalling system between the driver and guard, etc. We also heard a recording of this. We then had to hand back the information sheet and answer questions on the procedure. I found this quite easy, but some people don't pick up new information well, especially when there is lots of details. They give a very clear example in the booklet sent before the day.
Part 2 is sometimes known as the dials test. You get sets of 3 dials with pointers pointing to the number on each dial, and you have to order them in order (I believe starting with the largest). However, each dial has a different number range (one might go from 0-150 and another might go 0-500) so in that example, halfway on the dial going up to 500 would read '250' but the whole way on the dial going up to 150 would be only '150'. You have 43 questions to complete in 8 minutes and I don't think that anybody ever completes them all. Apparently, you are scored for correct answers but not downgraded for any wrong answers.

The final written test was the Written Communication Test (WCT), although I understand that this is no longer compulsory and some TOCs no longer do this. We were given a cartoon strip showing a taxi booking, a taxi picking a person up on time, delays on the route, and arrival at destination late. We had to write what happened. The only thing that matters is clarity so your writing needs to be legible but not neat. You do not need to write in sentences - bullet points are acceptable. Grammar and spelling is not important if it does not obscure meaning. You can continue to look at the cartoon strip during the test - you do not need to turn it over or have it collected. I have been told that almost 100% pass this test - if your handwriting is legible and you can convey a simple story, even just in bullet points, you're fine!

Again, we were sent to the waiting room while the tests were marked - this took a long time (almost an hour, I think)!

The final tests were the computerised tests. There might not be one computer per person so some people might have to take the test while other people are waiting.

I think the first computerised test was the ATAVT Perception Test. You will view a picture of a street scene for approximately 0.5-1 second. You will then have to choose from the list what was in the picture from: pedestrians; motor vehicles (excluding motorcycles); bikes, motorcycles or scooters; road signs; traffic lights. There might be as few as one or as many as five in any one picture. Many pictures are busy scenes and you will notice the presence or absence of some things, but for most of the time, you will not be certain that you have got them all right - there will be some guesswork or subconcious decision-making involved. This will suit people who are observant and can process quickly.
This video will give you a good idea of the test, but I think the pictures disappear more quickly in the assessments than shown on this video:
Asking a friend or family member to download some pictures from the internet and test you on them (giving you only a brief peek) might help.

I think the second test was the 2Hand Co-Ordination Test. You will have two joysticks, one will only go up and down, and the other will only go left and right. You have to control a ball around a track trying not to let it go off of the grey track, which includes curved sections. You will hear a screech when it does. This is repeated many times. It is aimed to be difficult and most people will not keep it on the track all the way around. We all thought we did really badly on this!

The final test was the WAFV (Vigilance) Test. You will see a grey square flashing on the screen. When it changes colour to a different shade of grey, you press the large green button as quickly as possible. This continues for 30 minutes, sometimes for long periods between changing. Also, your eyes imagine it changing when it doesn't. It's a good assessment because if you can't concentrate on being vigilant for 30 minutes, being in charged of a train might not be a good idea! When your eyes lose focus, move closer to or further away from the screen. Also, surprisingly, the colour changes aren't random but pre-programmed. Therefore if one person starts their test, another starts two seconds later and another starts to seconds later, you will hear the first person press their button, then about two seconds later the next person, and another two seconds later the next person.

We were then asked to wait in the waiting room again while the results were generated.

Finally, we were congratulated for passing the tests and advised about the next procedures in the application process. We were also given some basic pieces of advice for the DMI.

Hope that this is helpful. Feel free to ask any further questions!
Hi Driver 2B. Very comprehensive information to many of us. What about DFFT and VTS test?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Twotwo

Hi.. Is vigilance test part of VTS test?

GTR

Hi Driver 2B. Very comprehensive information to many of us. What about DFFT and VTS test?

If you search DFFT in the search button there's a lot of information out there. Never heard of the VTS. Didn't they send you pratice examples?

PickleTree

I doubt it, your allowed a couple of mistakes, the software that I have which is meant to emulates that test and meant to be much harder than the real thing will let you scrape through at an enhanced level even with three mistakes providing I have been quick with the reactions and not lost too many split seconds along the way. If this software is anything to go by anyway.
Not sure about other software but when I sat the test with the OPC we were told if we had passed or failed on the day before we went into the MMI.

Tiagobaltasar

They didn’t tell anyone on the day, two working days it takes.
So tomorrow I’ll find out.
The MMI is not on that day, if you pass the assessment then yes.
Mine was for GTR.
I’m not sure on their names, so on that vigilance I’ve had the square that changes colour and you need to click; the images that flash for 1 second and you need to tick what you’ve seen. Abs the little circle you need to control through a path with joysticks.
Amongst other tests obv

Tigerkenco

hello everyone ive had an assesment day and on the vigilance test (the one with the square that changes colour) i clicked when ive had to, however ive clicked twice accidently when i didnt have to.
Not necessarily, I did exactly the same but still managed to pass.

Tiagobaltasar

thenk yoou tigerkenco, theres hope for me then. areyou a train driver, or are you also applying? at what stage are you now?

I did this and still passed so you'll probably be OK

Tigerkenco

thenk yoou tigerkenco, theres hope for me then. areyou a train driver, or are you also applying? at what stage are you now?
I failed a dmi in December, just waiting for another chance now..Got applications in for Thameslink and Great Northern..I’ve not heard from either of them though, I’m hoping they’ll be in touch after the assessment process as I don’t believe I’ll need to do them again

Wroyal

If you search DFFT in the search button there's a lot of information out there. Never heard of the VTS. Didn't they send you pratice examples?
I haven’t receive practice material yet, waiting for a assessment date. I found some information about DFFT but still trying to figure out the difference between DFFT and cable and dails test as in both of them , aim is to finding faults. So, what is the difference between them two?
Regarding VTS, I found it is a multi- computer based tests eg: square change colours and a little circle and we follow a path. Please correct if I m wrong.

Twotwo

I haven’t receive practice material yet, waiting for a assessment date. I found some information about DFFT but still trying to figure out the difference between DFFT and cable and dails test as in both of them , aim is to finding faults. So, what is the difference between them two?
Regarding VTS, I found it is a multi- computer based tests eg: square change colours and a little circle and we follow a path. Please correct if I m wrong.
Then how do you know your required to do these additional tests? And the task your describing with the dials is the trp. The DFFT is different. And in regards to the VTS, it's more commonly known as a VSE and yes your following a circle around in the first task, second task is looking at symbols and clicking if its correct or not and the last task is doing both at the same time.

Tiagobaltasar

I failed a dmi in December, just waiting for another chance now..Got applications in for Thameslink and Great Northern..I’ve not heard from either of them though, I’m hoping they’ll be in touch after the assessment process as I don’t believe I’ll need to do them again
Good thing is you probably don’t have to do the tests again :D
Good luck :)

Wroyal

Then how do you know your required to do these additional tests? And the task your describing with the dials is the trp. The DFFT is different. And in regards to the VTS, it's more commonly known as a VSE and yes your following a circle around in the first task, second task is looking at symbols and clicking if its correct or not and the last task is doing both at the same time.
Thanks for your response. I sent an email to HR and they confirmed it to me. Regarding DFFT and (Cables and dials) both are fault finding tests, how can we distinguish them? What is a key difference, when both r relates to fault finding?

PickleTree

Thanks for your response. I sent an email to HR and they confirmed it to me. Regarding DFFT and (Cables and dials) both are fault finding tests, how can we distinguish them? What is a key difference, when both r relates to fault finding?
Best bit of advice is to wait until you get the practice material as this will make things much clearer for you.

Anthony R

YOu can go buy some material from the opc and it will make it very clea. 5ey are both fault finding tests however the trp is just organising dials into the correct order based on their readings. The dfft Is more involved, more instructions and you have analyse more information to determine the fault, not dials.

Wroyal

YOu can go buy some material from the opc and it will make it very clea. 5ey are both fault finding tests however the trp is just organising dials into the correct order based on their readings. The dfft Is more involved, more instructions and you have analyse more information to determine the fault, not dials.
Thanks for explanation. I think I should wait for Practice test

Zooboy1980

Hi all, on the trp part 2 dials test is the reference key to work from available during the test? I know the reference material is removed for part 1. Thanks

Tiagobaltasar

hey zooboy1980 not sure if im answering your question. On the dials bit, the gentleman literally explains the logic behind it, then you appply it.

Manda2194

Hi guys,

I have some OPC tests next week and was really hoping for some help.

I've started researching and practicing the tests and I am getting on well with everything except TRP1 so i was hoping some guidance which is surprising as i always thought i had a decent memory.

With the test do you know the questions before you read the passage or do they take the passage way and then give the question booklet. I'm using the TOC practice material and some a booklet purchased directly from the OPC and I'm struggling to learn everything in 3 minutes so thought maybe I misunderstood the test.

I dont think ive read anyone failing this test on the forum yet so i certainly don't want to be the first!

This forum has been an absolute goldmine and helped me get this far so thanks to everyone in advance.

Mattydo

Hi guys,

I have some OPC tests next week and was really hoping for some help.

I've started researching and practicing the tests and I am getting on well with everything except TRP1 so i was hoping some guidance which is surprising as i always thought i had a decent memory.

With the test do you know the questions before you read the passage or do they take the passage way and then give the question booklet. I'm using the TOC practice material and some a booklet purchased directly from the OPC and I'm struggling to learn everything in 3 minutes so thought maybe I misunderstood the test.

I dont think ive read anyone failing this test on the forum yet so i certainly don't want to be the first!

This forum has been an absolute goldmine and helped me get this far so thanks to everyone in advance.
There is plenty of information on this in the stickies.

you get the passage (about one side of A4 but it’s in a fairly spaced out format). You will have an audio recording of the text also. You are allowed to make notes to help points embed in your memory. After a few minutes the passage and notes are taken away. All that you have left is your pencil and rubber.

you then have to wait for a few minutes. More than 1 less than 5 but I don’t remember exactly.

You’re then given the question book to answer entirely from memory.

My advice is to practice what works for you. For me writing out the text in bullet point form helps me to remember key points as it adds another layer of brain activity to the process. Good luck.

Br666789

Hi everyone,

Around 4 weeks ago I attended an assessment day for a Depot Driver's position at SWR.

Unfortunately I fell at the second hurdle as it were (Fortunately I did pass the TEA-OCC - Group Bourdon/DOTS and the GLOPP application which I was very apprehensive about beforehand) I failed the second part of the memory assessment, the dial and indicator test.

I studied the practice material that was provided to me regarding this and even spoken to a few current drivers to try and understand the principles of this test however I found it very overwhelming and my head just can't really understand it. If anyone has got any advice/guidance or just other experiences with this that would be very helpful!

Obviously I would like to take this time until I can apply again to fully prepare myself for the next/final time..

Thanks very much :)

Fredytrains

Hi everyone,

Around 4 weeks ago I attended an assessment day for a Depot Driver's position at SWR.

Unfortunately I fell at the second hurdle as it were (Fortunately I did pass the TEA-OCC - Group Bourdon/DOTS and the GLOPP application which I was very apprehensive about beforehand) I failed the second part of the memory assessment, the dial and indicator test.

I studied the practice material that was provided to me regarding this and even spoken to a few current drivers to try and understand the principles of this test however I found it very overwhelming and my head just can't really understand it. If anyone has got any advice/guidance or just other experiences with this that would be very helpful!

Obviously I would like to take this time until I can apply again to fully prepare myself for the next/final time..

Thanks very much :)
Did exactly the same as you,
I take it was the same test with 4 dials and outer numbers?
I had practiced so much and was super confident on the 3 dial “pie chart style” practice material that as soon as I saw the actual test with 4 dials It totally threw me of course, By the time Id got my head round it I didn’t answer enough questions to pass.
basically it’s forget about the outer numbers until there is 2 dials in the same segment, once there is 2 dials is in the same segment you prioritise the highest or lowest number to finish the check sequence,
there is a thread on here with a photo if you can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.