• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee train driver assessment day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taff01

Hi there

Not to sure if I’m posting for on the correct forum. I’m currently revising for a trainee train job, and have an assessment day booked in.

Can anyone help me with what I will be walking into?

What tests they do mainly?

I have been revising tests but just feel some more info could really help me, if anyone is willing to share adsvise it would be really appreciate

Many Thanks
Hi,

Friday last week TFW asked for my NI number as I've made it through to the assessment day - they said it would be in the next six months, did you have a similar waiting time?

Hi, Received an email from TFW asking for my NI number as Ive been put forward for the assessment day - an invite within the next six months, is that a similar time frame to anyone else?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Driver2B

Is the GBT always dots? I've seen letter and shape variations. And are they always done on paper?

Yes, GBT is dots, and letters is the SCAAT test.

Hi, can anyone clarify how accurate the linked tones test is? Because thats insane. Thanks!

As per my original post, "but there weren't so many tones for each question". Therefore, I would agree to other people who have responded saying that it's not quite as hard as this.

I hope that this is helpful.

Taff01

I received an email from TFW on the 29th Sept asking for my NI number (Carmarthen station applied for) and was told within the next 6 months I would be invited to an assessment day - has anyone received an invite since the 29th Sept?

Anthony R

Any advice for the perception test. I have some software but christ alive. I'm a miserable failure on it. This software marks you a zero if you miss anything on each image. Is that how the proper test scoring works? Also, is it a second, 2 seconds or a third of a second? Iv been told so many random things. Many thanks

baz962

Established Member
Don't know how they score it , but it's a second or close to it

Anthony R

Don't know how they score it , but it's a second or close to it
OK thankyou, that has relieved me soemwhat, the company I bought this software from told me it's a third of a second, not gonna lie was not even going to waste the time and money doing them if he was correct.

Gs1

OK thankyou, that has relieved me soemwhat, the company I bought this software from told me it's a third of a second, not gonna lie was not even going to waste the time and money doing them if he was correct.
Which company did you buy your software from? I have also bought software and I'm really struggling on the perception test. I set it to 1 sec per photo and I'm achieving marks of around 4/10. On the software I'm using there is no feedback so I'm not able to check what I've missed. Only in the practice. I think its the road signs which are catching me out. Maybe the software has been designed to be more difficult than the actual assessment to better prepare you.
Anyone have any tips? Is the assessment easier or just as difficult?

PickleTree

Which company did you buy your software from? I have also bought software and I'm really struggling on the perception test. I set it to 1 sec per photo and I'm achieving marks of around 4/10. On the software I'm using there is no feedback so I'm not able to check what I've missed. Only in the practice. I think its the road signs which are catching me out. Maybe the software has been designed to be more difficult than the actual assessment to better prepare you.
Whilst I didn’t buy any software to practice this test the stuff I found on YouTube to help you with this I found much harder than the real thing. The practice papers the OPC provide with pictures of kitchen items I found the best all you need is somebody else to help you show and hide the pictures.

Eminia

I have this test on wednesday. I failed the perception test last time

I bought software but still find it very hard. My husband is a train driver and he couldnt get a high score on it either!

Anthony R

Hi gs, I'm almost certain o got the same software as you. And it's hard. When I started I was getting 1 to 3 correct. With practice I have got that up to 6 to 8 each time. But I got so frustrated with it I ended up recording one round to see what I got wrong, I was so convinced I got them all correct. And it turns out it's pedestrians causing the problems, some of the images have tiny pedestrians right the way in the background that you wer enever going to see, which comforted me somewhat becasue I doubt they will ever use anything as ambiguous on the resl test. So I would say just practice practice practice, I do blocks of ten then leav eot for a day becasue you don't want to learn the images as then it's useless.

I will say though, the software from this company is the best out there, although that's not saying much as there is nothing much out there, and they are a bit sloppy with their stuff, the hand coordination test I got from them doesn't work, joysticks, controls just don't work for me and they have blamed my computer of course.

The test I'm most concerned with is the trp1 and the phone book test. I got phone book tear software from how to become. Its alright.

Last edited:

Gs1

Hi gs, I'm almost certain o got the same software as you. And it's hard. When I started I was getting 1 to 3 correct. With practice I have got that up to 6 to 8 each time. But I got so frustrated with it I ended up recording one round to see what I got wrong, I was so convinced I got them all correct. And it turns out it's pedestrians causing the problems, some of the images have tiny pedestrians right the way in the background that you wer enever going to see, which comforted me somewhat becasue I doubt they will ever use anything as ambiguous on the resl test. So I would say just practice practice practice, I do blocks of ten then leav eot for a day becasue you don't want to learn the images as then it's useless.

I will say though, the software from this company is the best out there, although that's not saying much as there is nothing much out there, and they are a bit sloppy with their stuff, the hand coordination test I got from them doesn't work, joysticks, controls just don't work for me and they have blamed my computer of course.

The test I'm most concerned with is the trp1 and the phone book test. I got phone book tear software from how to become and from what I have been told if you get used to that you will fail as the bleeps are just stupidly spaced aprt when in reality they are much closer together..

Dm me if you want to share any tips of leaening materials, I have saved up a lot of stuff over the last few weeks. Had my partner make up some trp1 questions etc.
Hi, thanks for the tip, I'll look out for the pedestrians. I got my software from one company. I dont have an assessment booked just an application in progress but wanted to be prepared.
I don't know how to dm. I'm happy to share some tips. I used my keyboard for the co ordination test it works fine.

Zooboy1980

The test I'm most concerned with is the trp1 and the phone book test. I got phone book tear software from how to become. Its alright.
Hi Anthony, which software do you have? I have the how to be ones.

Jaytrains

I have this test on wednesday. I failed the perception test last time

I bought software but still find it very hard. My husband is a train driver and he couldnt get a high score on it either!

Not sure if your talking about the same software that i used but yhh allot of people are discouraging others to buy the software and that its a waste of money which is a lie, the software helped me pass all my computer and paper tests first time So yhh keep practicing twice a day at least then you’ll get there at the end, and I personally think the software is harder than the real test.

Faz.M

Not sure if your talking about the same software that i used but yhh allot of people are discouraging others to buy the software and that its a waste of money which is a lie, the software helped me pass all my computer and paper tests first time So yhh keep practicing twice a day at least then you’ll get there at the end, and I personally think the software is harder than the real test.
Hi which software did you use to practice?

richfoz84

Congratulations on passing, what Toc are you in with, You were with TFW last time if I remember correctly? When / where did you take the tests second time .
I’m with northern. Yes 1st attempt was TFW. Took them at DB in Doncaster for my northern application.

Wroyal

Hi guys,

I was advised that I have to do a DFFT and VTS test. I would appreciate if someone can share some tips, info and material etc

Thanks in advance.

Tiagobaltasar

hello everyone ive had an assesment day and on the vigilance test (the one with the square that changes colour) i clicked when ive had to, however ive clicked twice accidently when i didnt have to.
Can i literally admit ive failed on that one then?

PickleTree

hello everyone ive had an assesment day and on the vigilance test (the one with the square that changes colour) i clicked when ive had to, however ive clicked twice accidently when i didnt have to.
Can i literally admit ive failed on that one then?
Did they not tell you on the day if you passed or failed?

Anthony R

Did they not tell you on the day if you passed or failed?
I doubt it, your allowed a couple of mistakes, the software that I have which is meant to emulates that test and meant to be much harder than the real thing will let you scrape through at an enhanced level even with three mistakes providing I have been quick with the reactions and not lost too many split seconds along the way. If this software is anything to go by anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.