• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - London Midland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chloe88

Hi guys,

These are the MMI questions that have been dotted over the forum for a while now.

1. Describe a time where you've had to follow rules & procedures
2. Describe a time where you've been involved in an emergency situation
3. Describe a time you've been on a training course for over 2 weeks or your greatest achievement
4. Describe a time where you've had to work for long periods of time alone
5. Describe a time you've had to solve a difficult prob
6. Give an example of a task you have undertaken that is similar to a task of a train driver.

I feel a some of these questions may have changed and been replaced over time.

Could anyone who has recently sat the MMI kindly confirm or update this list?

If you'd like to private message me, that would be fine.

Thanks in advance

Chloe :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cobbler

Hi guys,

These are the MMI questions that have been dotted over the forum for a while now.

1. Describe a time where you've had to follow rules & procedures
2. Describe a time where you've been involved in an emergency situation
3. Describe a time you've been on a training course for over 2 weeks or your greatest achievement
4. Describe a time where you've had to work for long periods of time alone
5. Describe a time you've had to solve a difficult prob
6. Give an example of a task you have undertaken that is similar to a task of a train driver.

I feel a some of these questions may have changed and been replaced over time.

Could anyone who has recently sat the MMI kindly confirm or update this list?

If you'd like to private message me, that would be fine.

Thanks in advance

Chloe :)

it was exactly that as of a month or so ago when i did mine

Ihopeipass

Anyone got any news about Wolverhampton Depot. I have heard info that trainee positions are unlikely to come up at Wolves because it is a small depot, and there are already a number of qualified drivers looking to move there. Also has anyone ever been able to change their shortlisting. I was originally shortlisted for both Wolves and New St but as Wolves is my closer depot I was taken out of the New St pool. I live within 25 miles of both depots so that should allow me to move from Wolves pool to New St pool. I think it a little unfair that the chance to go for New St be denied because of a couple of miles difference between depots. I have already passed the tests etc with another TOC so hoped this would count for something.

BHXDMT

Anyone got any news about Wolverhampton Depot.

I'm an internal applicant for Wolves.

I have heard info that trainee positions are unlikely to come up at Wolves because it is a small depot, and there are already a number of qualified drivers looking to move there.

This is largely correct. Plenty of Drivers wanting to move to Wolverhampton, and I don't believe they have a policy at the moment of accepting trainees. I did query that with HR, but they didn't answer the question.

Also has anyone ever been able to change their shortlisting. I was originally shortlisted for both Wolves and New St but as Wolves is my closer depot I was taken out of the New St pool. I live within 25 miles of both depots so that should allow me to move from Wolves pool to New St pool. I think it a little unfair that the chance to go for New St be denied because of a couple of miles difference between depots.

I also asked HR if I could switch my application to New Street, given the chances of anything happening at Wolverhampton seem slim at the moment. They basically said no, you have to stick with the depot you applied for and you'll be shortlisted for the depot closest to you. This despite being asked late last year if I wanted to change my application to New Street.

In summary... who knows what's going on with Wolverhampton. I don't... it's going to be a case of wait and see unfortunately.

Ihopeipass

Thanks DMTaylor90 would be nice to know where we all stand, because the worry for us external lot is if somehow trainee positions come up in the next couple of months. What happens if LM loose the franchise and we are still in our training and probation period do you loose your job. That could be a big factor on people taking the position.

BHXDMT

What happens if LM loose the franchise and we are still in our training and probation period do you loose your job. That could be a big factor on people taking the position.

You'd be TUPEd over to the new company, so I wouldn't worry about that! Besides, the new company will still need Drivers.

sd0733

Established Member
I'm also internal for Wolves and did some digging via some managers as got nowhere with hr and apparantly there are no vacancies at Wolverhampton and it was an administrative error that they were put up. Everyone who got through for wolves is in the running for New Street jobs as and when they come up. If thats the case dont see why they cant just tell people though.

BHXDMT

I'm also internal for Wolves and did some digging via some managers as got nowhere with hr and apparantly there are no vacancies at Wolverhampton and it was an administrative error that they were put up. Everyone who got through for wolves is in the running for New Street jobs as and when they come up. If thats the case dont see why they cant just tell people though.

Thought as much, to be honest - that was the general gist I was getting from various people I'd spoken to. So long as they do actually call us for vacancies at New Street! (They're still working on 2013-2015 applicants though, so might be a wait)

Of course they won't tell people though, they'd have to admit they made an error to do that!

Last edited:

Ihopeipass

Well that sounds like good news. Yeah last time I spoke to HR they said they were working through applications from 2013. Should have applied then but missed the deadline on applications. O well what do they say "Good things come to those who wait"

Villafan10

Well that sounds like good news. Yeah last time I spoke to HR they said they were working through applications from 2013. Should have applied then but missed the deadline on applications. O well what do they say "Good things come to those who wait"

This seems to be a commonly mentioned thing on here. I can't comment on who or why they process certain some people quicker than others. All I'll say is that I applied in September 2015 and I had my stage 2 assessments on Wednesday. Im very much not unusual though as everybody I was there with, another 5, had applied at the same time as me and had obviously progressed at a similar rate.

RUUDBOY

This seems to be a commonly mentioned thing on here. I can't comment on who or why they process certain some people quicker than others. All I'll say is that I applied in September 2015 and I had my stage 2 assessments on Wednesday. Im very much not unusual though as everybody I was there with, another 5, had applied at the same time as me and had obviously progressed at a similar rate.

I applied in August 2015, and I've now completed stage 1 & 2 assessments, and the driver manager interview. Just awaiting medical. On this Tuesday just gone (10/05/16) at the stage 2, I was with someone who started process in 2013. So there must be something very specific about that period that effected and delayed the application process. The 2015 applicants seem to be whizzing through

Villafan10

RUudboy, you say you are just waiting for a medical. Have you been told already that you passed your interview at stage 2?

welshjpc

May 2013 I applied for LM, medical very soon. Once I have had my contract I may well tell my rather protracted story for those who may be interested (or those with insomnia). Stay patient! ;)

RUUDBOY

RUudboy, you say you are just waiting for a medical. Have you been told already that you passed your interview at stage 2?

Yes I got an email the very next day after stage 2, confirming I met the required standard, and that the next stage for me is the medical. Just awaiting the date.

welshjpc

Does anyone know how long it takes from medical to contract? I've stayed off the horse tranquilizers long enough to stop piddling green fluid.... :lol:

cobbler

Does anyone know how long it takes from medical to contract? I've stayed off the horse tranquilizers long enough to stop piddling green fluid.... :lol:

there is no set time although usually it does mean your offer is imminent but there have been hold ups and problems so it is what it is , i had my medical a couple of months ago , ive been told they have no idea when a course will be for bletchley , there are also other applicants who have completed medical and are also waiting in limbo
i would imagine these will be on the next course,s

i believe they are aiming for another course this year possibly sept , and some next year , but who can really tell :D

lm like to fill their pipeline with applicants :roll:

Villafan10

I too have just heard that I have passed my stage 2 assessments and are now purely waiting for medical before job offer. Has anybody got any recent experience of how long the medical was after stage 2? And what does the medical involve? And does anybody know at what point their current employer was approached for references?

d_kingscott

I passed the DFFT last week (the last assessment I needed to take), just the medical now. Like Villfan, can anyone advise about the medical. I will be working hard to reduce my BMI but any indication of the MAX BMI would be helpful. Cheers :D

cobbler

I passed the DFFT last week (the last assessment I needed to take), just the medical now. Like Villfan, can anyone advise about the medical. I will be working hard to reduce my BMI but any indication of the MAX BMI would be helpful. Cheers :D[/QUOTE

the medical is straight forward , eyesight , hearing , ecg , drug and alcohol screening , questionaire regarding past medical history and a few bend zee knees type of movements :D:D:D

as for the bmi , i was way above for my height /weight ratio but i hit the gym alot so i just got words of advise :D:D:D but i was clearly not vastly overweight

it has to be said i know many drivers who are vastly rotund :D:D so i wouldnt worry

welshjpc

How long does it normally take from medical to hearing - one way or the other? I got signed off as fit at the medical but as there have been other TOC applicants that have had problem with false positives (poppy seed rolls, co-codamol etc) do they get in contact quickly if there is a false positive? I'm confident that my sample is clear but it's been almost a fortnight with nothing either way. My application is over three years in the making and I just want to see the light at the end of the (long) tunnel! Cheers all.

westbrom

How long does it normally take from medical to hearing - one way or the other? I got signed off as fit at the medical but as there have been other TOC applicants that have had problem with false positives (poppy seed rolls, co-codamol etc) do they get in contact quickly if there is a false positive? I'm confident that my sample is clear but it's been almost a fortnight with nothing either way. My application is over three years in the making and I just want to see the light at the end of the (long) tunnel! Cheers all.
Just ring of email recruitment asking if all was ok with the medical, they should let you know

welshjpc

Just ring of email recruitment asking if all was ok with the medical, they should let you know

Good idea. I called, asked..... And was told I've got the all clear. That's it, three years in the making, just waiting for me contract / start date. Happy times!

Dreambig

I applied for the trainee train driver position last August, I have completed both sets of assessments, the mmi interview and have attended the driver manager interview, I was wondering how long it took people on average to hear back after the driver manager interview as to if they were successful or not?

Starman

Same as me I had my managers interview last Wednesday and still waiting for a reply. I assume they will let us know once everybody in the current batch have been interviewed. How do you feel you're interview went?

Dreambig

I thought as much, do you know how many are in the batch for interviews at all? I felt it went well but it's hard to judge, I suppose it's all down to if I gave them enough in my answers, how do you feel yours went?

Starman

I've no idea how many to be honest. Like yourself I felt mine went well overall and came out the interview feeling quite positive although some of the questions I did find challenging. However, as time passes I keep replaying the interview in my head and find myself being critical of some of my answers. I suppose this is just a natural thing to do when you have the benefit of hindsight.

Dreambig

I have received my email today telling me I was successful in the driver manager interview and I am just awaiting the date for the medical. Fingers crossed for you starman! Hopefully it's good news for you to.

Dreambig

Thank you kopitecarper, I have applied for Coventry and leamington spa, fingers crossed my medical goes ok, I wear contacts so hoping that doesn't affect my chances at all

Last edited:

Starman

Congratulations dreambig I've also received the same email great news for us both!

Status
Not open for further replies.