• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee train driver vacancies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bucephalus

There have been a few in the last few months already and that's just for trainees. Best to keep a close eye on the TOCs within an hour of you

For example, Avanti, LNER, and West Midlands Trains / London Northwestern

Stigy

Established Member
Hi guys

Does anyone know when companies will be taking people on again for vacancies?

Thanks

Robert
Impossible to say for sure, you just need to keep an eye on the respective TOC/FOC websites really.

206driver

When looking for bases within an hour of home, is that by any method you choose to get to work? I'm in Surrey, it would be an hour or a bit over to get to most of the London terminals by train+tube. How does a TOC calculate this requirement to check your eligibility?

The closest base to me would be Staines (SWR), could anyone give any guidance to any other TOCs between Reading and London? (GBRF? GTR? GWR? I'm sure I'm missing loads more, but I have no idea the location of their bases!)

Thanks!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
When looking for bases within an hour of home, is that by any method you choose to get to work? I'm in Surrey, it would be an hour or a bit over to get to most of the London terminals by train+tube. How does a TOC calculate this requirement to check your eligibility?

The closest base to me would be Staines (SWR), could anyone give any guidance to any other TOCs between Reading and London? (GBRF? GTR? GWR? I'm sure I'm missing loads more, but I have no idea the location of their bases!)

Thanks!

This thread may be of use to you.

Stigy

Established Member

Thanks!
It’s usually as simple as using Google Maps.

SWR have a Depot opening in Feltham which may be worth keeping an eye on too? Freightliner has a Reading depot and a London one too.

206driver

This thread may be of use to you.

Wow that's an amazing thread, thanks!

It’s usually as simple as using Google Maps.

SWR have a Depot opening in Feltham which may be worth keeping an eye on too? Freightliner has a Reading depot and a London one too.

Thanks Stigy, do you know where in London Freightliner has a base? (Freightliner doesn't appear to be on the thread that Horizon22 pointed to)

MrGrunter

Wow that's an amazing thread, thanks!

Thanks Stigy, do you know where in London Freightliner has a base? (Freightliner doesn't appear to be on the thread that Horizon22 pointed to)

Hi. They have depots / signing on points at Wembley, Tilbury, stanford le hope & Reading. There may be others but I'm at stanford le hope ( London gateway) and know of others trainee's at the other depots mentioned.

ikcdab

I support a young lad aged 20 who is keen to be a driver. He needs to improve his skills so is just starting a local employability skills course. Part of that, they get you work experience. Is there any chance he can get work experience as a driver? We are at Taunton so it's FGW and freightliner, cross-country. Or is he more likely to get work experience as platform staff?

baz962

Established Member
I support a young lad aged 20 who is keen to be a driver. He needs to improve his skills so is just starting a local employability skills course. Part of that, they get you work experience. Is there any chance he can get work experience as a driver? We are at Taunton so it's FGW and freightliner, cross-country. Or is he more likely to get work experience as platform staff?
Almost certainly as platform staff. You have to be 21 to drive to start and I can't imagine anyone not employed as a driver or trainee driver , being allowed to drive a train.

4F89

I doubt he will get in a cab unless you know a senior manager and can ask a favour.

Platform/guard MAY be possible though, if asked nicely

baz962

Established Member
I doubt he will get in a cab unless you know a senior manager and can ask a favour.

Platform/guard MAY be possible though, if asked nicely
To be fair , although he won't get to drive , he might be able to cab ride/ front end. As part of the women in train's initiative a few year's ago , my toc had some ladies who were unemployed with us for a few weeks , through a jobcentre and they were allowed to experience everything. Just weren't allowed to actually drive. They even got a practice at the psychometrics.

ikcdab

Thanks for the replies. As this is being done as part of a formal course, I am hoping that the organisation can swing this. Are there "teams" who are based at Taunton and who start guard duties there?

Status
Not open for further replies.