• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sirgerbil

Ah right , so the course is around 10 /11 months start to finish?
How are you finding it ?

I'm due to pass out fully around March next year, so yeah 10/11 months.

Yeah I'm enjoying it, It's hard work but worth it. I've put a few posts up regarding some of the assessments etc.

Davidson4301

I'm due to pass out fully around March next year, so yeah 10/11 months.

Yeah I'm enjoying it, It's hard work but worth it. I've put a few posts up regarding some of the assessments etc.

Hi,
Yes I've been reading them thanks . I'm just dying to get started now. I've had a start date for around 6 months now and the countdown has seemed never ending so I can imaging what it's like for people who haven't had a confirmation yet.
Just a quick question , is the traction training done at local depot (mine being Newcastle ) ?

Sirgerbil

Hi,
Yes I've been reading them thanks . I'm just dying to get started now. I've had a start date for around 6 months now and the countdown has seemed never ending so I can imaging what it's like for people who haven't had a confirmation yet.
Just a quick question , is the traction training done at local depot (mine being Newcastle ) ?

Ah, I'm guessing you start in October?

Traction is done at Kings cross as the maintenance depot for the 91's is at Bounds Green. I'm not sure where simulator sessions will be held as the Sim suite at KX is being closed from next week (Something to do with the Azuma simulator being installed I think) so you may find yourself travelling to Leeds for your simulator sessions.

Thomas123

This has probably been asked but got an assessment day coming up and was wondering how the day goes.

Thomas123

Read back through this thread, there's multiple posts about it.

Thanks for the reply. New on here and only just started going through all the posts now alot to sift through so was just asking if anyone could give an insight on the day save me reading every post

Thanks

CJM

Hi All,

Has anyone who has passed assessment heard any news? I know we were informed we would be contacted by Oct, but as it fast approaches I am wandering, have they not emailed yet, therefore sit and wait. Or have they emailed and I stupidly deleted it.

Thanks.

vintagegt

Hi All,

Has anyone who has passed assessment heard any news? I know we were informed we would be contacted by Oct, but as it fast approaches I am wandering, have they not emailed yet, therefore sit and wait. Or have they emailed and I stupidly deleted it.

Thanks.

Hi. Nope, still nothing here also so it's not just you. ;)

xtradj

Still waiting also. Had the medical in March

Has anyone passed the medical and still waiting or are most of you waiting for that also?

Skyrail

Has anyone passed the medical and still waiting or are most of you waiting for that also?

No word here either, and I haven't had a medical yet so I'm waiting for both. I'm hearing nothing but good things about the company on here though, so I'm itching to get going!

vintagegt

No word here either, and I haven't had a medical yet so I'm waiting for both. I'm hearing nothing but good things about the company on here though, so I'm itching to get going!

Yep, same here. No medical as yet but also raring to go!

Ffcsteve14

Everything passed and still waiting. Did have to turn down October so my fault I am waiting!

xtradj

From what I heard not so long ago from a trainee at KX we are looking at next year for course dates. However i guess we will all find out soon as I remember being told by October (through email). Whether or not that means before October or including I don’t know. We’ve waited long enough I’m sure a few more weeks won’t hurt! But very frustrating

vintagegt

Hopefully ‘by October’ means the end of September...

I'm holding out the same hope but I won't be holding my breath.

The whole thing is very exciting but lord, all of the waiting has been hard work!

All be worth it I'm sure. By all accounts, folks who have already started are really enjoying it.

FManc

I guess the optimist in me is thinking 'by October' means the end of September which would be the end of this week. The realist in me is expecting some news in October (hopefully).

vintagegt

I guess the optimist in me is thinking 'by October' means the end of September which would be the end of this week. The realist in me is expecting some news in October (hopefully).

It all seems so long ago its almost surreal! Have we all dreamt it all and is this forum just manned by bots in the Matrix to keep us hanging on in this perpetual state of anticipation??

See...its driven me mad! :D

xtradj

It all seems so long ago its almost surreal! Have we all dreamt it all and is this forum just manned by bots in the Matrix to keep us hanging on in this perpetual state of anticipation??

See...its driven me mad! :D

If memory serves me right it was almost a year since we applied! Very long wait, and I’d imagine we will be waiting till 2018 to begin training

vintagegt

If memory serves me right it was almost a year since we applied! Very long wait, and I’d imagine we will be waiting till 2018 to begin training

You're not wrong! It was somewhere around the last week in October when I applied and yes, I agree. It will definitely be 2018 before we get started.

Last edited:

Duns2208

Just checked through emails, it was 29th October last year when I got the "loved reading your CV and covering letter" reply and received the link to the online test with 5 days to complete it. Seems so long ago now and at that stage the thought of being here and having a job offer was just a dream. Got to keep reminding myself of how well we've all done to get here now, 4 other people I know were knocked back before even that point. The wait has got to be worth it, just hoping the start dates are early 2018 and we're not waiting much longer. This forum has actually been a huge source of reassurance in that regard not sure how it would have been if had not realised we're all in the same boat so thank you to all who've took time to comment, it's made the waiting more bearable, hopefully meet some of you soon.

Kaltias

I guess today is not the day!! Although some did find out they passed psychs on Easter Sunday...

Club200

There maybe some announcements next week as this weeks Qualified Drivers Recruitment Event @ KGX will be announced who got the job and who didn't so will be sent out then.
Those 6 jobs have definite start dates of most in January and one in Feb. (Traction I presume)
Don't give up hope, things have a habit of coming out of the blue.
Many...many years ago, I waited ages for a certain TOC to tell me I had a job one year after doing the Psycho tests and interviews!

vintagegt

Just checked through emails, it was 29th October last year when I got the "loved reading your CV and covering letter" reply and received the link to the online test with 5 days to complete it. Seems so long ago now and at that stage the thought of being here and having a job offer was just a dream. Got to keep reminding myself of how well we've all done to get here now, 4 other people I know were knocked back before even that point. The wait has got to be worth it, just hoping the start dates are early 2018 and we're not waiting much longer. This forum has actually been a huge source of reassurance in that regard not sure how it would have been if had not realised we're all in the same boat so thank you to all who've took time to comment, it's made the waiting more bearable, hopefully meet some of you soon.

Well said. I wholeheartedly agree.

heedfan

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. Passed psychometrics in April as I was one of the later assessment days at York, I recognise some of you from the day (FManc - I'm pretty sure we did a couple of the tasks together). Thanks to everyone who has shared little bits of information so far, the wait has been absolute torture but I am sure we are close to some news.

I am interested as to whether anyone has tried to email Virgin since October or whether we are all still in dark? I know from other threads they have been busy recruiting qualifieds at KX but I really hope we hear before the end of October.

FManc

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. Passed psychometrics in April as I was one of the later assessment days at York, I recognise some of you from the day (FManc - I'm pretty sure we did a couple of the tasks together). Thanks to everyone who has shared little bits of information so far, the wait has been absolute torture but I am sure we are close to some news.

I am interested as to whether anyone has tried to email Virgin since October or whether we are all still in dark? I know from other threads they have been busy recruiting qualifieds at KX but I really hope we hear before the end of October.

Hey! Glad to see (hopefully soonish) another familiar face :)
If there is no news by the last week of this month I'll be tempted to email to see if there is any info on start dates.
Now we're in October, every time I get an email notification I'm like oooooh I wonder if this is the email! I will admit I'm finding the wait for info quite difficult now as I feel like everything is just on hold at the moment.
As you said, they've just taken some qualified drivers at KX who have start dates in January 2018. I'm gonna presume we'll get start dates staggered throughout the first several months of next year.

CJM

Hey! Glad to see (hopefully soonish) another familiar face :)
If there is no news by the last week of this month I'll be tempted to email to see if there is any info on start dates.
Now we're in October, every time I get an email notification I'm like oooooh I wonder if this is the email! I will admit I'm finding the wait for info quite difficult now as I feel like everything is just on hold at the moment.
As you said, they've just taken some qualified drivers at KX who have start dates in January 2018. I'm gonna presume we'll get start dates staggered throughout the first several months of next year.

I hear you on all your points about emails coming in, it’s such a struggle being so close but feeling like it’s also so far. Fingers crossed we all find out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.