• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian88

The way they stated in the advert is that the first stage was assessment day. Here everyone will obviously sit aptitude. I just can't see why they would make people sit a test which is designed for HR staff, not drivers. They need to cut numbers some how I suppose. I'm sure that the best candidates based on a cv will not just be binned on the result of a checking test.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I how you're right for a lot of peoples sake but I think everyone is sitting the test. Just my opinion.

Not everyone is sitting the test there is a qualified driver that is through to the next stage and didn't need to do the testing. He posts on here occasionally that's why I'm thinking brians theory could be true depending on your qualifications from school and qualifications leaving school

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Do qualifieds not take the test?
Or are they not allowed to apply?

If you had read the small print of the advert, you would have seen that these positions are also open to qualified train drivers. If someone who has a proven record at performing a unique task, will require <50% of the time to get productive, will be largely self sufficient during their training period (the ability to learn route is part of a driver's competence) and will require less monitoring at the end of the process, will be an attractive prospect to the employer, I will leave you to decide. They will have a qualified/ trainee split in mind.

For the benefit of some others contributing to this thread, having an oak tree growing out of your shoulder will preclude you from driver training, as you will not be able to fit in the cab.

Brian88

mens-shoulder-realistic-oak-tree-tattoo.jpg

Sirgerbil

Not everyone is sitting the test there is a qualified driver that is through to the next stage and didn't need to do the testing. He posts on here occasionally that's why I'm thinking brians theory could be true depending on your qualifications from school and qualifications leaving school

Just had a quick scroll through but can't see this, was under the impression that no one was through to assessment days yet.

Yellowcupra

Just a thought. But I was always under the impression checking tests/bourdon tests etc when given to potential train drivers was to see how you react under stress. It's not designed for you to get 100% scores. It's not about matching all the letter/numbers. It's more about not being rushed into mistakes. I'm sure missed answers are better than incorrect answers.

5thrail

Just a thought. But I was always under the impression checking tests/bourdon tests etc when given to potential train drivers was to see how you react under stress. It's not designed for you to get 100% scores. It's not about matching all the letter/numbers. It's more about not being rushed into mistakes. I'm sure missed answers are better than incorrect answers.

It clearly said on the website that it's better to guess than not answer. Points only awarded for correct answers, not taken away for wrong. Which kinda defeats the point in that case!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 65

Yellowcupra

It clearly said on the website that it's better to guess than not answer. Points only awarded for correct answers, not taken away for wrong. Which kinda defeats the point in that case!

I stand corrected then. That's me screwed I guess. Back to the talent pool I go.

SKM84

Is anyone still waiting? I'm starting to think mine has been lost in the wires somewhere.

Brian88

I don't suppose anyone knows of when the training could potentially start? I would need to give notice if successful.

dugster70

Are you sure? I've not seen anyone say they have been invited to an assessment day

There is a user called ballast rat who has had an email from a specific person at Virgin (or should I say Stagecoach) (not the azuma address) telling him/her that they didn't need to take the test, why there are exceptions I don't know

bagazon

Hi guys
After the test do you have to complete a form or questions about you?
Nothing of this kind appears with me..
I finished the test and that sit .

mmbeak78

Just received the rejection email for the THIRD time haha.

It's OK, VTEC - I can take a hint (or 3!).

martin2345uk

Established Member
Presumably they'll work late again tonight if they've not got through them all yet?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well sadly for me I failed at the second hurdle! Clearly I suck at checking tests :-/

Very best of luck to everyone still waiting! :)

amandariot92

Presumably they'll work late again tonight if they've not got through them all yet?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well sadly for me I failed at the second hurdle! Clearly I suck at checking tests :-/

Very best of luck to everyone still waiting! :)

How do you know your failed at the checking tests? I got about 5-7 wrong from what I remember.... have faith.

Maybe

As much as I would like to believe that I haven't heard anything yet is because I have been sifted through to attend an assent day without the need of having to do any online tests I very much doubt this is true. The chances are they just haven't got through them all, or some including mine may have slipped through the cracks,hardly inconceivable conside ring the amount of applications they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.