• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarpuff

just a quick FYI, I've sent the recruitment team an email earlier on today and this was their replay,

Hi there,

Thank you for submitting your application and interest for the position of Trainee Train Driver to the Talent Team at Virgin Trains East Coast.

The closing date for applications was 14th October 2016 and we are unable to accept any applications submitted after this date.

Anyone who has completed the online verify assessments, we will be in touch with everyone by the close of play on the 21st November 2016.

The Talent Team have now made contact with everyone who had applied by the 14th October, however we have been made aware that some emails have not been received or are hiding in junk mail!!
If you applied prior to the 14th October and have not yet received and update, can you please forward your original email application (CV and cover letter) and a member of the team will be touch ASAP.

Thank you again for your interest in the role and please do keep an eye on our website for any other roles that may be of interest.

Have a great day!

The Talent Team
Well I've resent mine and still haven't heard anything, think I'll give up

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

marshyc

It's no different to other large organisations e.g. Police, Fire, Forces etc having targeted recruitment, those targeted aren't just offered jobs - it's about getting people to apply who wouldn't normally. Once their application is in it's a level playing field for all.

Really?!

Although I agree that the targeted groups aren't just offered jobs it's by no means a level playing field.

I work in one of the other organisations you mention and I can tell you that they get additional assitance and preferential treatment. The white European male is now the most discriminated group in the workplace. Many of my colleagues, even those from said targeted groups, also agree. This positive discrimination or whatever they want to call it has gone too far now.

Jimbo12345

Well I've resent mine and still haven't heard anything, think I'll give up

Hmmmm

I applied 06/10/16 and haven't heard anything back. Not impressed. Guess I'll resend but I doubt they'll consider it..just bad luck and an overstretched HR dept that underestimated how popular these "once in a lifetime" opportunities would be..

Jack Sparrow

Hello, been lurking for a while but thought I'd register and post.

I only got my invite to do the checking test earlier this week so don't give up if you haven't heard anything.

As for the test itself, I don't think I did very well so there's maybe a little bit less competition now :D

Don't know about the equal opportunities form though. I saved the attachment to my hard drive, edited it and attached it to an email addressed to the address I got the initial email from. I then got what sounds like an automated reply saying that they were busy and apologise if you are emailing to find out your status, which I wasn't. I hope it doesn't get lost among all the queries.

Good luck everyone.

Brian88

I did the same as you jack. Don't worry about the form though, it had nowhere to put your name and said at the bottom of the form there was no requirement to fill out.

Really?!

Although I agree that the targeted groups aren't just offered jobs it's by no means a level playing field.

I work in one of the other organisations you mention and I can tell you that they get additional assitance and preferential treatment. The white European male is now the most discriminated group in the workplace. Many of my colleagues, even those from said targeted groups, also agree. This positive discrimination or whatever they want to call it has gone too far now.

Absolutely correct - isn't there a line on the personal data sheet we all got sent with the invite to test that says something like "if one minority group is doing badly then we'll do something about it" (can't remember the exact wording).

Expect that summer 2018 PR photo shot of 78 new drivers with a wierdy beardy infront of an Azuma to be quite a mix of folk.

Davidson4301

Well after receiving 3 x rejection emails I got the feeling the really didn't want me!!!!! Then out of the blue yesterday I received an email saying there was a glitch in the system and could I please complete online tests.

Just out of interest , if I start the practise tests do I have to complete main test straight after it can I log back on ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Apparently everyone who has taken online tests should here by 21sr. Good luck to everyone still waiting .

Last edited:

Stepa_egg

Well after receiving 3 x rejection emails I got the feeling the really didn't want me!!!!! Then out of the blue yesterday I received an email saying there was a glitch in the system and could I please complete online tests.

Just out of interest , if I start the practise tests do I have to complete main test straight after it can I log back on ?
Apparently everyone who has taken online tests should here by 21sr. Good luck to everyone still waiting .

You can keep doing the practice test until your ready for the real test.

Davidson4301

Cheers. So I can log in and out of the shl page ?

Where do you get the practice test again? I can only see where it says click here to begin your assessment. Cheers

It's on that link to begin assessment mate

Brian88

In fairness I spent about 3 hours practicing the test over and over until I was getting almost perfect on every go, then the real test came round and I just flapped and missed loads. So im not sure the practice can help that much. You can keep logging back in and out though.

S-M

They have 15000 applications to go through, it still amazes me people can be impatient.

Just wait and your be told if your selected. You do not want to come across in a bad light by sending regular emails asking for updates regardless of what their original timetable had set out.

Sorry but coming from the Automotive sector, this is not how things are done in my world, if i had of simply waited, i would have missed out as they have appeared to have mislaid a few applications, including mine.

No harm in asking for an update, especially after 1 month.

Swampster

In fairness I spent about 3 hours practicing the test over and over until I was getting almost perfect on every go, then the real test came round and I just flapped and missed loads. So im not sure the practice can help that much. You can keep logging back in and out though.
The practice test is just to give you an insight to how it works. Doing the practice test over and over will likely do more harm than good in my opinion.

The problem with the practice test is that it's the exact same questions in the same order each time you do it. Even the answers don't get shuffled. Which means after a couple of goes around memory starts to take over with increasing accuracy each time around.

So at best it's diminishing returns in terms of actual benefit or even self defeating.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Davidson4301

I've just done two practises -
6 wrong on the first go

Left it 30 mins went on again got 2 wrong.

I've got the kids running around so maybe be better when I get some peace .

Any idea how many of the 15k got invited to do the online test?

I heard around 5k but not sure to be honest.

NROP

Just done the actual test, does seem a bit harder than the practice. I feel I got 3 wrong and missed one but it could be more. Now the waiting game

Brian88

Be interesting to know how they actually use the test results. You could have a bloke with a degree in transport fail this test because of a 1 second mistake not clicking, and at the same time a sausage factory worker ace the test, maybe even by a bit of luck. Do you think they would still bin the likely candidate on the result if in my opinion an irrelevant test. I think they should have made it out of 100 rather than 25, as 1 mark could be the difference in failure. From those on this forum there has been people from lots of backgrounds take this test.

dnc22788

Be interesting to know how they actually use the test results. You could have a bloke with a degree in transport fail this test because of a 1 second mistake not clicking, and at the same time a sausage factory worker ace the test, maybe even by a bit of luck. Do you think they would still bin the likely candidate on the result if in my opinion an irrelevant test. I think they should have made it out of 100 rather than 25, as 1 mark could be the difference in failure. From those on this forum there has been people from lots of backgrounds take this test.

Just completed the checking test - harder than the practice one due to the majority of questions having 8 numbers/letters and very few short ones.

Saying that I am more confident that I did well on the actual test than I did on practice.....I missed two questions though :(.

As far as my background is concerned - i'm a RAF engineer with 9 years experience, NVQ's, Foundation Degree, Leadership and Management Experience and Quals.

I reckon they will use the test to shave numbers off before really looking again at background and experience.

kickin aff

I would think that the test is relevant. I'm sure a train driver would answer this better but is it not similar to driving down a track at top speed and then passing a points box with numbers on it. You may have to pas back the number on the box you just passed.

However I may be well off the mark.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I would think that the test is relevant. I'm sure a train driver would answer this better but is it not similar to driving down a track at top speed and then passing a points box with numbers on it. You may have to pas back the number on the box you just passed.

However I may be well off the mark.

It's walking round a train at 0300, and spotting that missing split pin or wheel chock left in place.

Drivers need to have an eye for detail, to be methodical and also to keep their heads when placed under pressure. Sounds like this test has examined all of the above.

Brian88

Just completed the checking test - harder than the practice one due to the majority of questions having 8 numbers/letters and very few short ones.

Saying that I am more confident that I did well on the actual test than I did on practice.....I missed two questions though :(.

As far as my background is concerned - i'm a RAF engineer with 9 years experience, NVQ's, Foundation Degree, Leadership and Management Experience and Quals.

I reckon they will use the test to shave numbers off before really looking again at background and experience.
Don't you have to give a year notice to leave raf?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Be interesting to know how they actually use the test results. You could have a bloke with a degree in transport fail this test because of a 1 second mistake not clicking, and at the same time a sausage factory worker ace the test, maybe even by a bit of luck.

You are showing an incredible amount of prejudice here. What makes you having a degree in Transport any better than a sausage factory worker ?

Part of the reasons these tests exist is to remove that stereotyping and put everyone on an even playing field. Your background and what qualifications you may or may not hold are what is irrelevant.

Do you think they would still bin the likely candidate on the result if in my opinion an irrelevant test. I think they should have made it out of 100 rather than 25, as 1 mark could be the difference in failure. From those on this forum there has been people from lots of backgrounds take this test.

How else do you determine the quality of a candidate ? You do not know who is the more 'likely' candidate as they know 100% that the most qualified person with degrees and oodles of rail/transport experience etc do not always make good Drivers. They are looking for a type of person who meet a generalised set of criteria and they test for it. There are some tests that are used to help sift candidates but they are also there to sift people based on meeting criteria rather than any stereotype of subjective opinion of who makes a good candidate.

Whilst this may not appeal to some or other industries doing anything different. This is the system chosen to be used and in all my employment history I actually found that is the least biased and the most equal opportunity for employment. No-one gave a damn who I was, where I came from, or what qualifications I had. Just pass the tests and your in. (yes I know there is an interview stage)

On the surface the system feels a little harsh but in reality its probably one of the most fairest systems for employment out there.

Brian88

Firstly I'm closer to the factory worker than the bloke with a degree. Experience counts for a lot.

I'm just saying it's a rubbish test, miss 1 mark and you fail. There's better aptitudes out there. You don't work for shl by any chance? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.