• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GPR

I overheard a guy speaking to a conductor on an Arriva Trains Wales service Cardiff - Manchester Pic Tuesday.
Speaking about a vacancy at Virgin.

Anyone on here?

I don't know what your point is nor do I care.

You don't know yet you commented on it!
Some people only see the £££ signs without realising what the job actually entails, then end up hating the job but can't leave because of the salary.

Sirgerbil

Some people only see the £££ signs without realising what the job actually entails, then end up hating the job but can't leave because of the salary.

Just because people are talking about the salary doesn't mean that is the only reason they are joining. And to be honest, who are you to accuse people of doing so?

If you have nothing constructive or positive to add to the thread, why bother?
You're just stirring the pot.

Just because people are talking about the salary doesn't mean that is the only reason they are joining. And to be honest, who are you to accuse people of doing so?

If you have nothing constructive or positive to add to the thread, why bother?
You're just stirring the pot.

Who did I accuse? I was making a valid observation. I can post what I like just like anyone else on here, and I certainly don't answer to the likes of you.

Davidson4301

You are trying to be clever by insisting all people care about is the money which isn't the case.I stated that money is very important which it is obviously. If you don't like the fact potential trainee drivers are asking about wages then that's your problem. Also for your information I currently drive trains but on a lot less money.

Last edited:

You are trying to be clever by insisting all people care about is the money which isn't the case.I stated that money is very important which it is obviously. If you don't like the fact potential trainee drivers are asking about wages then that's your problem. Also for your information I currently drive trains but on a lot less money.

Absolute drivel! I was making a point as I've seen a few people join for the wrong reasons, and I know who you are so you don't need to tell me you drive the metro. The salary remark wasn't aimed at you as with your experience you have an idea what the jobs about.

Last edited:

Davidson4301

Absolute drivel! I was making a point as I've seen a few people join for the wrong reasons, and I know who you are so you don't need to tell me you drive the metro. The salary remark wasn't aimed at you as with your experience you have an idea what the jobs about.

If you know me then why say what you did just after a post I made. Generalising people by suggesting we have an obsession with money is inaccurate and just plain bollocks.

Who are you anyway if you know me ?

Last edited:

If you know me then why say what you did just after a post I made. Generalising people by suggesting we have an obsession with money is inaccurate and just plain bollocks.

That was just an unfortunate coincidence after I'd finished catching up on the thread.

Sirgerbil

Who did I accuse? I was making a valid observation. I can post what I like just like anyone else on here, and I certainly don't answer to the likes of you.

Not asking you to answer to me fella, I'm just making a valid observation. ;)

xtradj

I people only want the job for the money then good for them. What's the problem?

If you ask most people in life I'd say more often than not people choose careers for monetary purposes rather than actually wanting to do it. If they are capable and good at it then I don't see any issue?

Sour grapes if you ask me

I people only want the job for the money then good for them. What's the problem?

If you ask most people in life I'd say more often than not people choose careers for monetary purposes rather than actually wanting to do it. If they are capable and good at it then I don't see any issue?

Please elaborate on your 'sour grapes' comment.

You've come out with some classics throughout this process but "If people only want the job for the money then good for them" is on another level.

Last edited:

Ashxmufcx

Please elaborate on your 'sour grapes' comment.

You've come out with some classics throughout this process but "If people only want the job for the money then good for them" is on another level.

How is it on another level? It doesn't matter what a person's motive is for taking a job. It's their business and their business alone. Whether it's for money, passion for trains or a fresh challenge. Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong answer in my opinion as long as they do their job well.

If they want to take this job purely for financial benefits to give their family a better life then so what.

I wouldn't post sour grapes as it's far from the truth, The fact that he already works for VTEC as a driver certainly means he isn't "sour grapes". If you have been following the thread for a while you would realise this.

AllyB

Yeah I was the same for mine. I'd say the GB test was the most intimidating and the rest I was quietly confident about - although the memory test pictures soon come and go! But yeah it was mainly the MMI I was worried about, thankfully the woman that did mine was very friendly and encouraging which helped me enormously. At the end of they day they want to pass you so just make sure you give them a reason to.

hi there....just sifting through this thread and hoping to pick your brains as have these tests next week and beginning to stress....

Are the memory test pictures 'busy'? what I mean by that is is there loads of things to look at and take in? Do they come up for a second or two seconds? are all the items in focus?

Ref the 2Hand, are all the shapes curved in shape? Or box like? reason I ask is that it would be quite tricky moving a ball around a curved shape? Is it ok to go out the lines? How many times would you get away with this? I take it its important to be rapid?

Is there a WCT test? I got the practice pack with this in it but see much about this on here or anywhere else?

MMI? Im glad to hear that the woman was encouraging, this worries me the most. Is it acceptable to use all examples from the work place? or is it wise to use personal life? or do you think it even matters?

Any tips would be great... thanks

Rails1

Have you heard anything yet mate?
I'm still waiting haha. The wait is killing me!

Na mate. Still anxiously waiting. was thinking will find out thurs or fri but nothing yet. something by early next week lets hope.

FManc

Na mate. Still anxiously waiting. was thinking will find out thurs or fri but nothing yet. something by early next week lets hope.

Exactly the same! Was hoping to hear on Thurs/Fri going by the responses from people who heard back within a day or two. Oh well!

Status
Not open for further replies.