• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Drivers (Talent Bank) - Avanti - Multiple Locations (02/10/22)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FPL_FM

Hello guys! I have my start date for 30th October. Training in Polmadie. Just wondering if anyone has any idea of the accommodation we Will get put in as I'm based in Liverpool! Going to be some commute back an forward every weekend haha..

Also is anyone aware if we have any weeks based at the depot during the training period? As my course overlaps Christmas an I'm trying to see if the training school will have us in for Christmas or not.

Thanks. And apologies if this has already been discussed

Railwayman44

Hello guys! I have my start date for 30th October. Training in Polmadie. Just wondering if anyone has any idea of the accommodation we Will get put in as I'm based in Liverpool! Going to be some commute back an forward every weekend haha..

Also is anyone aware if we have any weeks based at the depot during the training period? As my course overlaps Christmas an I'm trying to see if the training school will have us in for Christmas or not.

Thanks. And apologies if this has already been discussed
Brilliant news, just wondering when did you get contacted about your start date and when did you have your DMI as I’m also waiting myself for Liverpool, nice one!

TP113

Can anyone assist? I am currently in the talent pool for this recruitment drive, and know that there are no more courses this year and it's likely to be next year if i was to be allocated a place.

I have also applied to GTR as this depot is closer to home. I have been invited to complete the miniSCAAT with them which we didn't do for Avanti.

My question is, if i did it and failed, would that jeopodise my place in the talent pool?

I am aware they do the CBI/MMI differently, so if i was to get to that stage then i would have a difficult decision to make.

But as far as i see it, this is a screening test for GTR and wouldn't have a bearing on my place in the pool.

Mattydo

Can anyone assist? I am currently in the talent pool for this recruitment drive, and know that there are no more courses this year and it's likely to be next year if i was to be allocated a place.

I have also applied to GTR as this depot is closer to home. I have been invited to complete the miniSCAAT with them which we didn't do for Avanti.

My question is, if i did it and failed, would that jeopodise my place in the talent pool?

I am aware they do the CBI/MMI differently, so if i was to get to that stage then i would have a difficult decision to make.

But as far as i see it, this is a screening test for GTR and wouldn't have a bearing on my place in the pool.
You've got it. The mSCAAT isn't part of Avanti's screening. However the MMI does overwrite the CBI. It's worth having a word with Avanti before you reach that stage. It's a strange issue. I don't understand why they can't both exist on file especially as the CBI is supposed to be 'harder'

marc2090

Hello,

Just posting to share my latest findings, this might only apply to me but I thought I'd share them so people can have a bit more of an insight on what's going on/timeframes.

I managed to speak with HR a few weeks ago and asked them if they could give me somewhat of a timeframe on when I'd start my course,

I passed my interview end of January this year and got the email saying I was in the talent pool early Feb for Manchester.

The person I spoke to said that given the current situation I'd be looking at the end of 2024 or begining of 2025, I'm not going to lie I found that a bit discouraging, another 1.5 years to wait just to start the course (and that wasn't guaranteed).
The person could not say more exact as they haven't been told how many courses will run next year.

At least you know roughly what to expect, specially if you applied to Manchester, if you didn't you might get priority and this might not apply to you.. and if you're in the process of doing your managers interview, sit tight as there might be a long wait in front of you.

Hope this helps you.

st1995

Hello,

Just posting to share my latest findings, this might only apply to me but I thought I'd share them so people can have a bit more of an insight on what's going on/timeframes.

I managed to speak with HR a few weeks ago and asked them if they could give me somewhat of a timeframe on when I'd start my course,

I passed my interview end of January this year and got the email saying I was in the talent pool early Feb for Manchester.

The person I spoke to said that given the current situation I'd be looking at the end of 2024 or begining of 2025, I'm not going to lie I found that a bit discouraging, another 1.5 years to wait just to start the course (and that wasn't guaranteed).
The person could not say more exact as they haven't been told how many courses will run next year.

At least you know roughly what to expect, specially if you applied to Manchester, if you didn't you might get priority and this might not apply to you.. and if you're in the process of doing your managers interview, sit tight as there might be a long wait in front of you.

Hope this helps you.
Thanks for this information.
Did you communicate threw email? If so could i have the email address you used for communications please.
I applied for Liverpool so i would like to see if the same applies to myself

rhys37429

Thanks for this information.
Did you communicate threw email? If so could i have the email address you used for communications please.
I applied for Liverpool so i would like to see if the same applies to myself

Liverpool;
Earliest phone call will be October for an earliest start date of February..

st1995

Liverpool;
Earliest phone call will be October for an earliest start date of February..
Thank you! Phew.. this waiting around malarky is painful haha especially when you hate your job hahah i just want to hand that notice in and start a new adventure!!
Where did you get that info from?

I fear this too! I would like to know whether the newest recruitment drive this year have had anything more than us.

I assume your CBI was back end of last year/very start of this?
Hi Lucy, passed my DMI and I am now in the talent pool! Have you heard anything?

chaddy73

Hi Guy's & Gal's

I applied 4 months ago and did the first online tests about 2 months ago.

I received the following email: Just wondering if this was successful, feels long winded.

Re: Application for the role of Trainee Train Driver with Avanti West Coast

Thank you for your continued patience with regards to your application with Avanti West Coast. As we have previously mentioned, this is a long-term recruitment campaign for Avanti and as such, applicants are being taken forwards at differing times. The positions are still available, and we are filling these in accordance with when training courses are becoming available.

At this time, unfortunately, I have no further update for you in terms of your application as we are still processing other applications. We are in constant communication with Avanti and working with them to ensure that all applicants are being considered and then prioritising particular depots where demand for trainees is more urgent.

Irene is the project lead within HR at Avanti for this recruitment, and she would like to add:

Congratulations for getting this far in the process! We received a large number of applications for our Trainee Driver roles, and we are working together with the OPC to get candidates through the process in manageable batches in line with the availability of training courses. Please bear with us at this time, we aim to share updates with you throughout the process but it may be a while between updates but please know you have not been forgotten!

Your application and interest with Avanti is still very important to us and as soon as we’re able to progress with your application, then we will do so, however it may be a few months before we can do this.

I’m sorry that we have no further news for you at this time, and we will be back in touch as soon as we’re able to.

Thanks

Jo Lawrence

The Occupational Psychology Centre

Jordan1991

I’m just in the hope that we get a start date within the 5 years now before it expires. Anything before 5 years is a bonus. I hear Manc is full so not expecting anything for a few years at the very least

Ex2215

Did anyone book a depot induction prior to starting the drivers course? It's on the checklist on the handbook I was sent out but I was told by recruitment admin that the next step would be being contacted by my driver manager roughly a week or two prior to course start. Seems like it's just a general checklist for any role within Avanti so I'm guessing that's just for roles where you just start at the depot on day 1?

Jim17

Hi Guy's & Gal's

I applied 4 months ago and did the first online tests about 2 months ago.

I received the following email: Just wondering if this was successful, feels long winded.

Re: Application for the role of Trainee Train Driver with Avanti West Coast

Thank you for your continued patience with regards to your application with Avanti West Coast. As we have previously mentioned, this is a long-term recruitment campaign for Avanti and as such, applicants are being taken forwards at differing times. The positions are still available, and we are filling these in accordance with when training courses are becoming available.

At this time, unfortunately, I have no further update for you in terms of your application as we are still processing other applications. We are in constant communication with Avanti and working with them to ensure that all applicants are being considered and then prioritising particular depots where demand for trainees is more urgent.

Irene is the project lead within HR at Avanti for this recruitment, and she would like to add:

Congratulations for getting this far in the process! We received a large number of applications for our Trainee Driver roles, and we are working together with the OPC to get candidates through the process in manageable batches in line with the availability of training courses. Please bear with us at this time, we aim to share updates with you throughout the process but it may be a while between updates but please know you have not been forgotten!

Your application and interest with Avanti is still very important to us and as soon as we’re able to progress with your application, then we will do so, however it may be a few months before we can do this.

I’m sorry that we have no further news for you at this time, and we will be back in touch as soon as we’re able to.

Thanks

Jo Lawrence

The Occupational Psychology Centre
Hey. I think this just means you have been successful for the initial stages. Have you completed stages 1 1.5 and 2 or have you completed more? I have completed stages 1 1.5 and 2 only I have had the exact same email as you. Previous emails have said the next stage is more testing so that’s what I’m expecting moving forward. What station is your application for?

MUFCLAD555

Thank you! Phew.. this waiting around malarky is painful haha especially when you hate your job hahah i just want to hand that notice in and start a new adventure!!
Where did you get that info from?

What's your current job if you don't mind me asking?

MUFCLAD555

Im a mental health nurse assistant mate. Done it for 10 years, only job ive had since leaving school and now i just need a new challenge, looking forward to learning something new!
Appreciate the response mate, just always curious as to what people do in order to get through the application stage. Yeah I fully understand what you mean, at least the experience you've gained from that will surely help you in this new role. Good luck mate all the best with it

st1995

Appreciate the response mate, just always curious as to what people do in order to get through the application stage. Yeah I fully understand what you mean, at least the experience you've gained from that will surely help you in this new role. Good luck mate all the best with it
No problem mate,
I have heard of stories of people being successful through out the whole process by using there lifes experiences rather than relying on their current career. Aslong as you can use examples of the top 6 non technical skills then your in with just as much chance as anyone else!
Im assuming your interested in becoming a train driver?

Jordan1991

Hopefully it’s not just a generic email they’ve sent to everyone and it actually applies to the Manchester applicants :lol: