• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Drivers (Talent Bank) - Avanti - Multiple Locations (02/10/22)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lucy

Did anyone else for Euston get an email then?

Or any other depot at that.
I’ve not got anything, but my friend who has applied for Manchester has got the ‘we will be in touch for an interview’ email. He got it today.

I applied for Liverpool and haven’t received an email if that helps?

I got my email about arranging a date for an interview earlier too, Liverpool depot
Can I ask when you passed your CBI?

Chippychips

Oh ok thats interesting to know. I'm not asking for any particular reason, just curious.

Maybe those listed in the email are part of the "next block" scheduled for interview invites perhaps?
Or it could be that others will get an update email tomorrow or later this week.
No point in speculating as we've all tried and failed.

GLENMAYE77

I’ve not got anything, but my friend who has applied for Manchester has got the ‘we will be in touch for an interview’ email. He got it today.

Nothing in your junk folder?

Lucy

Nothing in your junk folder?
Absolutely nilcho, nada, nothing ☹️

Oh ok thats interesting to know. I'm not asking for any particular reason, just curious.

Maybe those listed in the email are part of the "next block" scheduled for interview invites perhaps?
Or it could be that others will get an update email tomorrow or later this week.
No point in speculating as we've all tried and failed.
Fingers crossed, I like this way of thinking that’s for sure!

Shinigami

Maybe I’m just too early then, maybe it is by blocks and dates
Seems quite random if I’m honest. Some people who did theirs after me have already had their DMIs and ol been told if they passed or not before I’ve even had any communication. It’s just random. No point trying to work it out I think

Lucy

Seems quite random if I’m honest. Some people who did theirs after me have already had their DMIs and ol been told if they passed or not before I’ve even had any communication. It’s just random. No point trying to work it out I think
Wow, so strange right? I’m hoping that by the end of Feb I’ll have had some type of communication, if not I’ll try and do some digging. Good luck though!!!!! Sending lots of positive energy your, and everyone elses, way!!!

Shinigami

Wow, so strange right? I’m hoping that by the end of Feb I’ll have had some type of communication, if not I’ll try and do some digging. Good luck though!!!!! Sending lots of positive energy your, and everyone elses, way!!!
You too. Hope you hear soon

Railwayman44

I passed the CBI the second week of January and received the email about interview dates yesterday

KT1980

Morning everyone,

First time poster, been following this for a while with an interest to apply at the next round coming up. Congratulations to everyone who’s made it to the end.

May I ask those who’ve successfully made it to the London Euston talent bank if you can tell me roughly where you live? I’m trying to gauge what they’ve accepted as being within an hour previously. I’ve checked the route on maps many times and it ranges anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours so I have no idea where I stand with that.

Cheers, Kris

Last edited:

Ex2215

Morning everyone,

First time poster, been following this for a while with an interest to apply at the next round coming up. Congratulations to everyone who’s made it to the end.

May I ask those who’ve successfully made it to the London Euston talent bank if you can tell me roughly where you live? I’m trying to gauge what they’ve accepted as being within an hour previously. I’ve checked the route on maps many times and it ranges anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours so I have no idea where I stand with that.

Cheers, Kris
Sorry I'm not a Euston applicant but I applied for Manchester and it said my minimum time was about 45 mins and the max was about an hour and a half so I just gave it a go and got through. Just apply and if you don't get through the sift then you've not wasted much time.

NumberTen

Morning everyone,

Cheers, Kris
Just apply for it. Take screenshots on maps from your address at different times of the day over the next few weeks/months (obviously when it’s within the hour) and if it comes up at interview it shows you’ve prepared and researched the issue if they ask.

nolypops83

Sorry I'm not a Euston applicant but I applied for Manchester and it said my minimum time was about 45 mins and the max was about an hour and a half so I just gave it a go and got through. Just apply and if you don't get through the sift then you've not wasted much time.
Is the Manchester depot the one in Longsight?

ODM28981

Hi folks,

Is there a depot in Edinburgh? And what is the Avanti driver roster like?

Interested in applying for the next trainee job.

Sorcerer

Hi folks,

Is there a depot in Edinburgh? And what is the Avanti driver roster like?

Interested in applying for the next trainee job.
There is an Edinburgh depot, but it's very small and rarely recruits. I would argue that it recruits the least of all depots because it is the only one I've never seen put out a vacancy for even qualified drivers, never mind trainees. According to an earlier post though they may be recruiting for that depot later this month.

When I was going through the process I met candidates from Milton Keynes and Stevenage. I think as long as you can get there within the hour you should be fine.

Chippychips

Question of curiosity if anybody can help.
Avanti have Sunday working outside the working week but "committed".

Does anyone know if you can turn them down with 7 days notice? Or do you HAVE to work them?

Also, if you do work them, whats it worth? is it flat rate? £100 + flat rate? or double time etc

rhys37429

Does anyone know if you can turn them down with 7 days notice? Or do you HAVE to work them?

Also, if you do work them, whats it worth? is it flat rate? £100 + flat rate? or double time etc

Sunday's are outside the working week but are committed, if you don't want to work a shift you have to find cover, if you can't find cover you have to come in and work said shift.

Unfortunately I don't know what the Sunday rate is.

The biggest drawback to working as a driver for Avanti is most definitely the Terms and Conditions, or lack thereof - and is why the headline salary is high, the price paid being the selling off of work-life balance.

Examples:

The roster is technically a four day week (8hrs45 average turn length) but all depots other than one link at Polmadie, stuff five days into each of four weeks, to give the fifth week off.

Sundays are committed, there is ZERO extra pay, and the minimum payment is 6 hours, so therefore it's often a struggle to get them covered even by the money men, and as a result it is entirely possible to have three booked Sundays in four weeks, which leaves a grand total of just five rest days over that four week period.

Every few weeks the base roster has a spare week, this is a week where until a few days prior, you have absolutely no idea which day will be your rest day, or what time shifts you will do, as you can be moved to any time at all.

Spare turns are also able to be moved several hours in each direction to meet the needs of the service.

At least one depot (Wolverhampton) has a virtually 24 hour timetable and roster. the last arrival from Euston being 2.30 a.m and the first departure being 4.30 a.m (empty from New St to Euston). Added to which there are two maintenance depots to sign (Oxley and Barton under Needwood), resulting in a lot of antisocial hours and very few day turns, or actual spare turns.

Other depots are not quite as extreme, though Manchester probably comes closest.

On the plus side, few stops, decent trains and a good rest day work agreement, if you've got the energy..

The biggest drawback to working as a driver for Avanti is most definitely the Terms and Conditions, or lack thereof - and is why the headline salary is high, the price paid being the selling off of work-life balance.

Examples:

The roster is technically a four day week (8hrs45 average turn length) but all depots other than one link at Polmadie, stuff five days into each of four weeks, to give the fifth week off.

Sundays are committed, there is ZERO extra pay, and the minimum payment is 6 hours, so therefore it's often a struggle to get them covered even by the money men, and as a result it is entirely possible to have three booked Sundays in four weeks, which leaves a grand total of just five rest days over that four week period.

Every few weeks the base roster has a spare week, this is a week where until a few days prior, you have absolutely no idea which day will be your rest day, or what time shifts you will do, as you can be moved to any time at all.

Spare turns are also able to be moved several hours in each direction to meet the needs of the service.

At least one depot (Wolverhampton) has a virtually 24 hour timetable and roster. the last arrival from Euston being 2.30 a.m and the first departure being 4.30 a.m (empty from New St to Euston). Added to which there are two maintenance depots to sign (Oxley and Barton under Needwood), resulting in a lot of antisocial hours and very few day turns, or actual spare turns.

Other depots are not quite as extreme, though Manchester probably comes closest.

On the plus side, few stops, decent trains and a good rest day work agreement, if you've got the energy..
Seen this on another chat and it mentions Sundays. Not sure how accurate the whole statement is mind you.

Efini92

Established Member
At least one depot (Wolverhampton) has a virtually 24 hour timetable and roster. the last arrival from Euston being 2.30 a.m and the first departure being 4.30 a.m (empty from New St to Euston).
There’s a 0430 empties from Birmingham to Euston?

FManc

I’m slightly baffled at the continuing Manchester recruitment! There’s now not enough vacancies in the roster for the current drivers coming through training as it was heavily dependent on Crewe depot opening which is all up in the air.

irish_rail

Established Member
I’m slightly baffled at the continuing Manchester recruitment! There’s now not enough vacancies in the roster for the current drivers coming through training as it was heavily dependent on Crewe depot opening which is all up in the air.
GWR have recruited over past 5 years constantly despite no vacancies , and I think its a case of forward planning. In many ways its worked as GWRs tracincrew shortages are far less bad than Avanti and TPEs so maybe someone has sanctioned Avanti to be allowed to catch up. I guess they also realise when Crewe opens , Manchester would likely be decimated in terms of traincrew with I would (guess) quite a few transferring away to Crewe.