• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Training in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leebob34

Hi all

Just wanted to start a thread to see if anybody is currently on or has finished their training for the position of train driver (trainee ) and to maybe hear some information about how's it going ,allocated holidays ,a normal working day whilst in training ,you know all that sort of stuff. Just thought it would be interesting to see and read for me and many others.

Thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anybody ?!???

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johncleesefan

Hey pal, I just finished my classroom training and starting handling now.
Basically 9 to 4 whilst in classroom and we get lunch provided. Learn rulebook modules and other official documents, traction manuals and practical experiences. Lots and lots of homework, assessments and exams but if you stay switched on its goes at a good steady pace. Holiday is booked in block leave in the first year, one week off in classroom and 2 weeks off when handling. Also get some floating holiday.

Absolutely loving it so far, best decision I ever made and very grateful for the opportunity.

Are you applying for roles?

Bucko

Hey pal, I just finished my classroom training and starting handling now.
Basically 9 to 4 whilst in classroom and we get lunch provided. Learn rulebook modules and other official documents, traction manuals and practical experiences. Lots and lots of homework, assessments and exams but if you stay switched on its goes at a good steady pace. Holiday is booked in block leave in the first year, one week off in classroom and 2 weeks off when handling. Also get some floating holiday.

Absolutely loving it so far, best decision I ever made and very grateful for the opportunity.

Are you applying for roles?

Great info mate, thanks

The exams and assessments, whats the drill with anyone who may not get a desired mark? Has there been candidates drop out / pushed out along the way?

Leebob34

Thanks for the insight buddy. Sounds hard work but you sound like your enjoying it ..with regards to exams etc ,are they once a month or as and when the course dictates.free lunch is a bonus , yeah I'm trying to get in to the industry. It's just interesting to hear about it all . Thanks

Dave1987

On Moderation
Guys, if and when you start your training you will realise what you have signed up for. You have to learn an enormous amount in a very short space of time. And that's just the rules and traction. You then have to learn your route to a high standard, and that in itself is a huge section on top of what you have already learnt. You don't get paid the salary you do for nothing. And after you have finished a 9 hour diagram where you have been driving for 6 hours of it you will be shattered. Yes there are times when you are barreling along at 100mph (or however fast for your line) and the sun is shining and you feel like you have the best job in the world. Other times it's pitch black, poring down with rain, you are totally knackered and you are hunting out that braking reference point for your next station stop and then realise the job isn't always as glamorous as people think it is!

red2005

Hi Mate

I passed out April 16th and it's going well so far.

The training was intense and there was a hell of a lot of studying in my own down time but it's all worth it when you're done, The part i like most is the fact that even after you have passed out there is still so much more to learn and that keeps you on your toes.

There are certainly other jobs out there with a tad more glamour etc but hey ho early starts and late finishes etc are still part and parcel of those jobs too eh :) but It's certainly something you find a way of dealing with eventually.

In the short time since i passed out i have encountered trespassers, train failures/faults/cancellations, animals on the line, signal reversions and despite spending 7 years as a guard before 2 months into the job i had my first experience of protecting a train with detonators! (bit of a jinx really)

but all in all best decision i ever made was to go driving. Thoroughly recommended.

Leebob34

Thanks very much for your posts people,all very good interesting stuff. I am under no illusion that there will be a lot of learning and homework to be done and most of your spare time will be hitting the books. Being a driver like you say maybe isn't the most attractive job to many but in this day and age ,it seems like everybody is wanting in,, hence the thread about how and what it's all like in the training and beyond,
All good stuff ,keep it coming people :D

Status
Not open for further replies.