• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains using multiple platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie365

I notice some stations have single line track that serves platforms on both sides, Norwood Junction is one.

Do any trains get listed as stopping at both platforms with the doors on both sides opening?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

higthomas

I think they do somewhere on the DLR (Canary Wharf?) but at Guildford they don't, always use platform six, away from the third rail, in my experience. Somewhat frustrating when trains are replatformed from 8 to six, when they actually stop at the opposite platform seven.

AlanFry1

I think they do somewhere on the DLR (Canary Wharf?) but at Guildford they don't, always use platform six, away from the third rail, in my experience. Somewhat frustrating when trains are replatformed from 8 to six, when they actually stop at the opposite platform seven.

The DLR platform on services from canary wharf to stratford at canary wharf is one.
On LUL, on the northern line at golders green there's one.
On LUL at Arnos G. there's one.

The one at Norwood Junction is a headache as I experienced last year as the doors only open on one side, causing me to miss that train and wait in a not pleasant area.

QueensCurve

Established Member
I notice some stations have single line track that serves platforms on both sides, Norwood Junction is one.

Do any trains get listed as stopping at both platforms with the doors on both sides opening?

There are two such platforms on the Cumbrian coast: Ulverston and Sellafield.

I am not sure about Ulverston, but ar Sellafield now the island platform serves only the Down line and the Up line is fenced off.

Edit: also Bay 2 at Carlisle is a single track with platforms both sides but doors are presently opened only on the East (P3) side./

Last edited:

Established Member
Platform 18 at Edinburgh Waverley has two faces, but only the southerly of the two gets used.

Is it even possible to open doors on both sides in normal operation, I've always assumed not?

Platform 18 at Edinburgh Waverley has two faces, but only the southerly of the two gets used.

Is it even possible to open doors on both sides in normal operation, I've always assumed not?

Yes. You just energise both sides.

driver_m

Established Member
Euston pl.17 can do this. However it's not an even length on both sides and only LM 350's tend to go in it. They only open on one side by the look of things when I use 16/18. I certainly haven't been in there for a long time.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
At Edinburgh Waverly Platform 18 the side that opens is within the central ticket barrier zone, the unused face is non-barriered as part of platform 19.

As far as I'm aware whilst there's examples on London Underground (eg Stratford Platform 3/3A) and DLR (Canary Wharf, all three tracks) there's nowhere on the National Rail network that the doors open both sides on a train in service- despite quite a lot of examples where they could.

ag51ruk

Platform 5 at Derby (the bay) is an example of where the side the doors open has changed in the last few years for safety reasons - so the recently and expensively rebuilt canopy on the platform is now on the wrong side to where you actually board

rebmcr

Established Member
Central Line westbound at Stratford opens onto the platform faces either side of a single track, numbered 3 and 3a.

D6975

Established Member
The south facing bay at Carlisle used to see one train that opens doors on both sides, but not at the same time. It arrives as 2x153, the doors open on the side not normally used to allow passengers to alight. The set is then split and on the outer set the doors opened on the normal side for the return service down the coast.
It's done deliberately to stop people boarding the unit that's being taken out of service.

I'm not sure if they still do this (M-Th). the reason was that the 153 was used to strengthen the 158 on the first S&C the following morning. Since the introduction of the loco hauleds this might be a thing of the past.

Last edited:

QueensCurve

Established Member
The south facing bay at Carlisle used to see one train that opens doors on both sides, but not at the same time. It arrives as 2x153, the doors open on the side not normally used to allow passengers to alight. The set is then split and on the outer set the doors opened on the normal side for the return service down the coast.
It's done deliberately to stop people boarding the unit that's being taken out of service.

I'm not sure if they still do this (M-Th). the reason was that the 153 was used to strengthen the 158 on the first S&C the following morning. Since the introduction of the loco hauleds this might be a thing of the past.

I didn't realise they did this at B2. I think that there is a slightly higher platform face on the east side and Elf and Safety may lead it to be preferred.

Welshman

Established Member
The Skegness bay at Grantham - the doors are normally opened only on the platform 3 side, as non-stop trains pass through platform 2 at great speed.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I've seen both sides of doors open at Scarborough. But the info boards only said "welcome to..." on both boards.

Veteran Member
There are two such platforms on the Cumbrian coast: Ulverston and Sellafield.

I am not sure about Ulverston

Either side could be used, but the island side isn't (as it would be pointless).

I imagine the same applies at Yeovil PM.

Sheffield has 2 and Doncaster one IIRC. What about Greenford bay?

Last edited:

AndyPJG

The Southbound platform at Yeovil Pen Mill

Northbound? (P1). P3 is s/bound, with P2 OOU save for access to token machine possibly.

Also Ascot P2 shares a face with P1, not sure if that gets used on race days at all.

tds42

Also Ascot P2 shares a face with P1, not sure if that gets used on race days at all.

I seem to remember in the distant past that they did used to use both sides, even with 455s (slamdoors for sure!). I think a radio was used by a dispatcher on one side to communicate with dispatcher on the 'main' side who would then use a bat

silverfoxcc

Finsbury Park back in the good old days had a situation where there used to be at rush hours three suburban trains in at adjacent platforms. The best way to described it would be Hertford P8..P7 Hatfield P6...P5 Baldock. P7/8 and P5/6 being island platforms with the single line Hatfield serving both P7 and P6. If the Hertford had arrived prior to the Baldock the passengers from Moorgate via York road would bale out and get to P5 for the Baldock train through the Hatfield coaches. Now a some of the stock was still the Gresley articulated type not known for its legroom it created some wonderful sights as bowler hats, briefcases and umbrellas all went in several directions in the melee. hours of free enjoyment.

TEW

Established Member
Platform 1 is bi-directional and I have seen doors opened on the Platform 2 side when a down train has been using them up platform, platform 1.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Scarborough platform 2 has a platform face on the P3 side. We arent allowed to open the doors on this side however, even tho for passenger and train disposal it is easier, then use the opposite side once the train has been prepped for departure. Im sure someone higher up can give me a reasonable answer as to why.....

me123

Established Member
Another LU one - at Barking Platform 2 I've seen the trains open their doors on both sides on a few occasions.

We've already mentioned Edinburgh Platform 18, which must be exclusively used by Scotrail services, where they will want to funnel passengers through the barriers! But it is certainly possible to open the other doors as well I believe (although I've never heard of it happening).

WillPS

Established Member
Platform 5 at Derby (the bay) is an example of where the side the doors open has changed in the last few years for safety reasons - so the recently and expensively rebuilt canopy on the platform is now on the wrong side to where you actually board

Platform 7 at Sheffield is the same, used to be marked up as on the P6 side, but they changed to the P8 side as there's enough platform on that side for a 5 car Meridian (just) when the Derby stopper was extended to Sheffield around 2011.

LowLevel

Established Member
Derby platform 5 is particularly unusual as XC services open their doors on the platform 4 side and EMT on the platform 6 side.

CarltonA

Doors are opened on both sides at Morden on the Northern Line which is handy as egress is better from some platforms than others. Only one side is opened in the middle platform at Uxbridge however, in spite of all four faces having a number.

I recall the east facing bay at Reading having signs put up when the 165s were introduced warning that doors would be opened on one side only. So perhaps it's not possible to open both sides at once on the turbos unlike on the old bog units.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
As far as I'm aware whilst there's examples on London Underground (eg Stratford Platform 3/3A) and DLR (Canary Wharf, all three tracks) there's nowhere on the National Rail network that the doors open both sides on a train in service- despite quite a lot of examples where they could.

I can't think of any on National Rail. It must be difficult to carry out the post-closure train safety check on both sides of the train simultaneously, so I imagine operators just take the easy option and only open doors on one side.

At Canary Wharf the opposite sides of the same track have different platform numbers. Does anyone know why, and is it true at any of the other tracks with platforms both sides?

Minilad

Established Member
Derby platform 5 is particularly unusual as XC services open their doors on the platform 4 side and EMT on the platform 6 side.

This is to do with the curve on the platform and the positioning of doors on a 170. If they opened on the platform 6 side the gap would be larger

Status
Not open for further replies.