• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainsimcentral downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbostar

Now that Trainsimcentral have removed the majority of train downloads, due to 'copyright issues' due to the retirement of a sound recordist, technically then, we're 'breaking the law' by continuing to use product's we've all downloaded in the past, contaning this guy's sounds?

Mart

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
The use of the trains is not breaking the copyright laws. The downloading of any material containing "this guys" sounds without his permission is.

I can't go into too much detail, but hopefully something can be arranged to bring the trains back online.

T

Tom

I'd say the trains will probably come back at some point - but I fear that this could possibly be the death of BVE as we know it at the moment. Very few trains weren't affected...

Dave A

The words toys & pram come to mind... :roll:

I too hope this is sorted though. :)

Craig

Established Member
It's quite simple really. If said "respected developer" stopped trying to rip of this person's sounds and claim them as their own, go off on a hate campaign and also commercial developers doing the same, they'd still be there.

No names mentioned.

T

Tom

It's hardly necessary for the sounds to be withdrawn though, Craig.

Guinness

Established Member
It's hardly necessary for the sounds to be withdrawn though, Craig.

If the person who owns the Copyright to material which they spent their time and effort creating and recording sounds or any other work, they have every right to remove them. Whether you like it or not there is little you can do, moaning or arguing with other people on a internet forum late at night is hardly going to make matters any better.

Craig

Established Member
I'd hardly call it punishment, it's the persons choice surely?

Can just confirm for a second that the sounds weren't up for removal until a certain hate campaign was suddenly formed in reaction to this, even tho some of the sounds are indeed copied.

T

Tom

If the person who owns the Copyright to material which they spent their time and effort creating and recording sounds or any other work, they have every right to remove them. Whether you like it or not there is little you can do, moaning or arguing with other people on a internet forum late at night is hardly going to make matters any better.

Don't you think I'm already well aware of that - I'm just trying to make a point.

I'd hardly call it punishment, it's the persons choice surely?

Can just confirm for a second that the sounds weren't up for removal until a certain hate campaign was suddenly formed in reaction to this, even tho some of the sounds are indeed copied.

Fair point - fair point, although I don't think it was necessary to bring the arguments onto all the forums.

Guinness

Established Member
Don't you think I'm already well aware of that - I'm just trying to make a point.

Obviously not, giving your trying to argue with Craig over something that is out of his hands.

Craig

Established Member
Fair point - fair point, although I don't think it was necessary to bring the arguments onto all the forums.

Where it is mentioned it is only fair to have facts. It wasn't one incident that made this happen, it's annoying to think that someone is making money off something you spent money to go do, the commercial theft in this case. Then your fellow developers start doing it enough is enough, where should it end?

T

Tom

Yes - fair point about the commercial devs. I'm going to guess it was ######### too.

I'd say its a fair bit more 'redeemable' if it was done by a fellow freeware dev rather than a commercial dev though - I can understand the situation if it was done in that particular pattern though.

Admin edit - Name of alleged offender edited out

Craig

Established Member
Perhaps, but not when they are uncredited, or credited to someone else for personal gain/pleasure, and when questioned laughed at, even though they are the same sounds.

I had a look at them for said person and he's right, there is thefts. Some were altered but the background noise gave it away.

Do you understand why now?

This was by an author who is "respected" and supports the Developer Guidelines, supposedly... Was said person wrong to be slightly miffed?

T

Tom

Yep - tis fair when you put it that way, but IMHO the community should not really have had the 'punishment' (can't really think of a better word to put it IMHO) of having all trains with some work by this developer withdrawn.

Guinness

Established Member
Yep - tis fair when you put it that way, but IMHO the community should not really have had the 'punishment' (can't really think of a better word to put it IMHO) of having all trains with some work by this developer withdrawn.

I'm confused at what your trying to say, to me that's just contradicting yourself.

Craig

Established Member

Back to the original debate then. It's a pity that the community has to suffer as a result but maybe if admissions and apologies were made by the offending parties rather than sneaky tricks and public hate campaigns then this wouldn't happen. Why should someone spend their time and their money for that to happen? When it does why should they have any motivation to stay?

T

Tom

Back to the original debate then. It's a pity that the community has to suffer as a result but maybe if admissions and apologies were made by the offending parties rather than sneaky tricks and public hate campaigns then this wouldn't happen.

I quite agree - but that would have to come from both sides IMHO.

devon_metro

Established Member
I found it stupid how it all turned into a hate campaign, and members were encouraged to join in.

I thought these people were adults :roll:

Meld

Well now its time for the community to come together and not bicker about the missing/ removed sounds. If commercial developers have 'lifted' these sounds then that is a matter between the sounds creator, the developer and the courts if necessary. Speculating and naming names doesn't help, so should be left off the forums.

MSTS had the same problem when freeware developers withdrew permissions for various items in January 2006 and the knock on effect was horrendous, I'm not even going to go into the politics around this as it has been well documented before - Routes withdrawn over permission issues with scenery - Stock withdrawn - Activities rendered useless because of stock withdrawals.

Eventually the community managed to replace most of the items. So instead of bickering do something constructive about it - How hard is it going to be to go out and record new sounds.

The Snap

Established Member
Why punish the entire community for one person's errors?

I agree entirely, and have said this more than once in discussions with the TSC staff.

Hopefully something can be sorted out soonish.

Simon_G

I agree entirely, and have said this more than once in discussions with the TSC staff.
It really isn't up to TSC. Once the developer had withdrawn permission for his sounds to be used, the affected downloads had to be taken offline to avoid breaching copyright. The only possible solutions to the problem are for the developer in question to change his mind (unlikely) or for new sounds to be acquired for the trains with the necessary permissions. This has already started in one case but will be a long and difficult process.

Turbostar

Guess it's just a case then of if you've already got the units/locos, your lucky. If you havn't, tough luck. Plain & simple, nowt else you can do really.

Mart

Tom B

Established Member
I'm concerned that the person who was ultimately responsible for this, by winding the developer of the sounds up by ripping them off, has got away scot free. Partially by getting his band of pals to start said hate campaign...

devon_metro

Established Member
I'm concerned that the person who was ultimately responsible for this, by winding the developer of the sounds up by ripping them off, has got away scot free. Partially by getting his band of pals to start said hate campaign...

Indeed, what I was thinking.

One is treated like God, the other, not.

Status
Not open for further replies.