• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tram from Nice airport

Amos

Last year I went to Nice for the weekend and was most impressed with the value of the tram journey from the airport to the city centre as it was only €1.50.Returning this year I was disappointed to find that the ticketing system has been altered, and the cost of a journey into town is now €10 (though this includes a “free” return trip). I did find out that thankfully there is a way to avoid this tourist tax.
Tram travel within the airport zone is free,so if you take any tram to the grand arenas stop and get off here you can then purchase a regular ticket rather than an airport ticket,costing €3.40 for a return trip.Tickets are now dispensed on a smartcard,so you must choose the option to purchase tickets,then add the number of trips required.If there are 2 people in a group,add 2 trips for a single journey,or 4 for a return. The ticket should be validated on board for the number of people travelling.
Of course this option involves a little bit more time and effort than purchasing a ticket directly at the airport,but,being a little bit tight, I found the saving worth the effort :).
Also,although it is said of many places,beware of pickpockets.One of our group was targeted,but thankfully the culprits were noticed before they could steal anything.They seemed to work in groups, and were particularly targeting tourists using distraction methods.
Although I wasn’t happy about the increase in ticket prices I would still recommend the tramway to reach the city centre as it was fast and frequent,and even if you do get an airport ticket,still relatively cheap.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When l went to Nice earlier in the year l had to walk to Grand Arenas Tramstop anyway as there were no trams operating from the Airport. They seem to have quite large headways to the airport of an evening, so it was quicker to make the very short (less than 5 minute) walk to Grand Arenas than wait at the airport.

Veteran Member
Can you buy those at the airport?
I arrived at Nice Ville so used the machine there. (I got the new all-modes Departmental offer including SNCF.)

AFAIK they load onto the standard smartcard which you get at any Lignes d'Azur machine for EUR2. But if the airport machines won't sell them, Grands Arenes will.

Amos

I didn’t really pay much attention to the machines at the airport having worked out that you couldn’t get a normal single ticket there.Perhaps my teachers were right about putting in more effort :).

Amos

Didn’t look at the app,as I am not really a techy person.Would make sense if you could purchase a standard ticket and would save some messing about.

DeverseSam

Seems possible.
The app just allows you to buy a ticket if you already have a smartcard :(

Even from the machines, the smartcard of €2 is the only way to buy a single journey (so €3.70) and it can be refunded, but only from offices, not ticket machines!