• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

RustySpoons

A year late; the Saturday only 59 Harrogate-Skipton service started yesterday with "We Love Harrogate" Gemini 2774 on the duty despite pre launch publicity featuring an ex National Express President.

Very healthy loadings too by all accounts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RustySpoons

Transdev Blazefield are continuing their Back To Bus campaign with some more money saving deals.

@AlexTransdev Twitter
To help recovery, to help everyone get #BACKtoBUS...
- For commuters: 10% off all monthly tickets
- For our cities: £2 off return tickets with new #CitySavers
- For new & old customers: FREE day ticket on our app
- For the evening economy: £1 go anywhere fare after 7pm

Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 11.07.28.png

Some very good deals there, and it seems the free DayTripper has been extended to new customers too.

I believe the £1 evening fare has been tried in Blackburn before, so it's good that it's been rolled out across the whole network now. Just a shame in Lancashire the council won't subsidise the evening town services so it's no good for a lot of people wanting to get home from town.

There's an interesting reply to Alex's tweet from someone complaining that the government 'is not doing anything' to help. Possibly unaware that the only reason the company is still operating is because of the government funding them over the past year and a bit, and probably why they can afford to run schemes like this. It's interesting reading for anyone who wants to know more about how the industry has (mostly) managed to keep afloat during theses tricky times.

Details here
The COVID-19 bus service support grant (CBSSG Restart) has been set up to support commercial bus operators in England in recognition of the impacts of coronavirus (COVID-19) on their revenue due to reduced patronage.

Payments aim to ensure that operators can provide service levels of up to 100% of pre-COVID-19 levels without the operator making a profit or a loss.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There's an interesting reply to Alex's tweet from someone complaining that the government 'is not doing anything' to help. Possibly unaware that the only reason the company is still operating is because of the government funding them over the past year and a bit, and probably why they can afford to run schemes like this. It's interesting reading for anyone who wants to know more about how the industry has (mostly) managed to keep afloat during theses tricky times.

Details here
Oddly enough the reply is from a driver.

RustySpoons

Heads up to anyone who missed out on the free DayTripper ticket, starting tomorrow new users to the Transdev Go app get a free day ticket too.

The evening £1 single tickets also start tomorrow too.

David Verity

Just seen a post from another source that Transdev have set up a new operating company "Team Pennine" which is presumed to be the vehicle for acquisition of Yorkshire Tiger. There's also a registration of a new company on Companies House website.

Ashly_Jethro

Just seen a post from another source that Transdev have set up a new operating company "Team Pennine" which is presumed to be the vehicle for acquisition of Yorkshire Tiger. There's also a registration of a new company on Companies House website.
Huh, now that’s interesting. Is the new company under the same name? So what does YT operate as now then?

Bwsbro

This isn’t uncommon for when companies purchase other companies. The Companies House parts is now online registered to their Harrogate Address

The Vosa registration is currently under consideration, however will likely pass without any issues, wouldn’t think that the team pennine name will be the name on the buses, I would expect similar names for routes ect to other Transdev routes

Ashly_Jethro

Yorkshire Tiger Limited
Could they not continue under that? I’m sure they did with Rosso. And it’s not like the registered name matters vs the trading name, think the only subsidiary that matches its name is Yorkshire Coastliner, the rest have been rebranded over the years

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Could they not continue under that? I’m sure they did with Rosso. And it’s not like the registered name matters vs the trading name, think the only subsidiary that matches its name is Yorkshire Coastliner, the rest have been rebranded over the years
It might be because they are buying the assets and business from Arriva but not the company. Therefore, you have to create an entity in which to transfer them.

The YT company stays with Arriva to manage any loss on sale etc and will then become dormant.

I don’t know if that is the case but it may be the explanation

Ashly_Jethro

It might be because they are buying the assets and business from Arriva but not the company. Therefore, you have to create an entity in which to transfer them.

The YT company stays with Arriva to manage any loss on sale etc and will then become dormant.

I don’t know if that is the case but it may be the explanation
Ah okay, that would make sense

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Just thought I'd share details of my recent free trip courtesy of Transdev. Now it was a free daytripper so I shouldn't complain about anything but hope to provide a balanced picture of a day out.

I started the day by driving to Ripon, parking the car and then heading up to the bus station. My first bus of the day was the 22 to Knaresborough. Now, I've been to Ripon loads of times especially during the post de-reg period but I have never done the Ripon to Knaresborough service which was the United 56. Well, I can't believe that I've missed out on such a lovely route, as the York depot Versa weaved its way through beautiful villages with pubs on village greens and lush countryside. It's a gem of a service on a bright sunny morning. The Versa itself was a 12 plate and fairly tidy internally if becoming a little scuffed, though perhaps a little long for some of the tight turns on the route. Off at Knaresborough, and straight onto 1B to Harrogate and a refurbished Volvo Eclipse. I have to admit that for a 2004 vehicle, it carried its years well; the smartening up of older vehicles is one of the things that Transdev do well.

Time for a quick takeaway latte in Harrogate, before the recently introduced Saturday 59 to Skipton to be worked by ex Witchway B9 2775 looking very smart. There was a decent enough load of about 30 people, primarily ENCTS pass holders though there was one chap with a Nottingham City Transport facemask. We left on time and headed out, picking up passengers at the Hydro as well. It's easy to forget that you quickly get into the hills quite quickly from Harrogate. We headed out past Menwith Hill and then past Fewston Reservoir where one person exited. We then traversed Blubberhouses Moor before depositing more people at Bolton Abbey and then weaving our way through Skipton as the market place is closed. We arrived a little late so I had a quick change onto the Dalesway 66 and another ex WW B9 (2778) in one of the better Transdev liveries. It's a route I've not done before oddly, and we made slow progress through Crosshills and Steeton, so I don't think I'd been missing out.

Then it was a quick change onto the Aireline 60 and another B9, albeit a former Coastliner and Rosso example that has been suitably refreshed. I confess that whilst the Dalesway is a livery I like, I find the Aireline colours jarring and the detailing fiddly. The Keighley fleet is pretty well presented though there was a Y reg President in the old green and blue livery, and the Shuttle fleet is now looking quite tired so that must be due for a refresh soon. We left on time for Leeds on another nicely refreshed machine though the next stop announcements began to be a bit cloying after a while. The smartness of the Transdev machine was in marked contrast with First's examples in Shipley of a similar age. We encountered some roadworks in Greengates that Transdev had highlighted, and some others in Kirkstall that weren't listed, so a 10 min delay morphed into a 20 min delay as we arrived into Leeds. I'd scheduled a 25 min change for the Cityzap as I fancied experiencing Skyclass with the plan to then travel via York and Boroughbridge to Knaresborough, Harrogate and finally to Ripon.

However, that was soon to unravel. The 1330 CZ was missing; it was running 20 mins late and I wasn't convinced that it would get me to York in time for the 22 to Boroughbridge. Nothing on twitter nor on the website which is not good, especially as scheduled tweets were being posted. For a firm that does so much well, it was a bit disappointing. Instead, I cut things short and decided to eat, grabbing some food and then standing outside the bus station. Now, I like Leeds bus station but the number of undesirables there on a Saturday was quite something, with one guy smoking some industrial strength herb! That sort of thing makes buses seem like the choice of the underclass. I was impressed by the interior though I believe that some works are to be undertaken. The individual branding by Transdev and Arriva on their stands was good and just emphasises how dull First Leeds is though the green livery in now quite prominent in the city.

I waited for my 36 and again, another missing journey not mentioned on social media. For a firm who uses social media so extensively to promote their offerings, it was frustrating. Eventually, a 36 did arrive and we were off for a refined/redefined trip through the city. I remember travelling on the 36 in the days of VRs and Nationals, and Olympians and Lynxes and the quality now employed on there is something to behold. With many of the fleet now 5-6 years old, you'd think SkyClass will arrive there in due course but the current fleet is still nicely appointed. One further gripe was the references internally to the former Cityzap service to Manchester; c'mon Transdev, you were quick enough to advertise the route when it was launched so 3 years after it disappeared, I'm surprised to still see references to it. We arrived into Harrogate, and I broke the journey to travel to Jennyfield on the Harrogate Electrics. One of the Volvo 7900e's, it was a smooth ride but to be honest, I was really disappointed with the build quality of these machines, especially the rattle from the emergency door handle as if it were a Streetlite. I got back into the bus station and onto a final 36 to Ripon, affording fantastic views across the Vale of York as we got into Ripon.

Now, I know it was a free ticket and so it didn't cost me anything. The first half of the day was faultless from Transdev and I am impressed by their presentation and promotion. Delays do happen and I was just a bit saddened that the issues affecting the CZ and 36 were not communicated adequately, and the Harrogate Electrics weren't as good as I'd hoped. Overall, Transdev are still much better than most firms but clearly, they have a few areas in which to approve.

RustySpoons

Good writeup TGW. It is disappointing that the missing journeys weren't communicated to passengers. Their social media teams seem to be very hit or miss. Sometimes they're on the ball and keep everything up to date, other times they'll go on radio silence and communicate nothing but promos and endless recruitment campaigns (although these are probably automated) which are useless to the majority of passengers.

RE the Shuttle fleet, I believe that's going to be refreshed this year at some point with an electric fleet, a split order between The Shuttle and Harrogate's 'the 1'.

route101

Established Member
Love to do some of these Yorkshire Transdev route. I have the Transdev app, with free day ticket. Is that for the whole network or a specific area?

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Love to do some of these Yorkshire Transdev route. I have the Transdev app, with free day ticket. Is that for the whole network or a specific area?
It's for the whole network, including travel east of Leeds (which isn't covered by their standard day ticket and usually requires a more expensive one).

SCH117X

Established Member
Its Coastliner and Cityzap that the Daytripper ticket (as opposed to Daytripper plus) is not valid on, it is valid east of Leeds on the 7 and presumably on York & Country services.

gnolife

Established Member
Its Coastliner and Cityzap that the Daytripper ticket (as opposed to Daytripper plus) is not valid on, it is valid east of Leeds on the 7 and presumably on York & Country services.
It always used to be valid on the Coastliner as far as York, has that changed?

asw22

Good writeup TGW. It is disappointing that the missing journeys weren't communicated to passengers. Their social media teams seem to be very hit or miss. Sometimes they're on the ball and keep everything up to date, other times they'll go on radio silence and communicate nothing but promos and endless recruitment campaigns (although these are probably automated) which are useless to the majority of passengers.

RE the Shuttle fleet, I believe that's going to be refreshed this year at some point with an electric fleet, a split order between The Shuttle and Harrogate's 'the 1'.

Transdev may be impacted by the incoming Bradford Clean Air zone (CAZ).

Not sure if the current Shuttle 662 fleet are Euro 5 or Euro 6 (after they were re-engined in 2015) - a PVR of 13 plus spares is a significant investment if it does get refreshed by year end (whereas a £50 per day per vehicle charge is also signficant).

Similarly Aireline 60 uses 2008 Geminis (not sure if these have been updated to Euro 6) - this route passes the northern part of the CAZ between Saltaire and Shipley.

The 67 Keighley Denholme Bradford with its PVR of 3 vehicles including the use of Y reg Presidents.

The A2 A3 Flyer services also run in the CAZ with generally 2012 Versas.

edited 3 June 2021 14:54: Thank you SCH117X - forgot that the Flyer Versas are 2016 to 2018 having been used on the Dalesway 66 and Aireline 760 previously
-----
Hope the offers mentioned in post 1623 help to boost (repeat) passenger numbers.
-----

Last edited:

aswilliamsuk

Transdev may be impacted by the incoming Bradford Clean Air zone (CAZ).

Not sure if the current Shuttle 662 fleet are Euro 5 or Euro 6 (after they were re-engined in 2015) - a PVR of 13 plus spares is a significant investment if it does get refreshed by year end (whereas a £50 per day per vehicle charge is also signficant).

Similarly Aireline 60 uses 2008 Geminis (not sure if these have been updated to Euro 6) - this route passes the northern part of the CAZ between Saltaire and Shipley.

The 67 Keighley Denholme Bradford with its PVR of 3 vehicles including the use of Y reg Presidents.

The A2 A3 Flyer services also run in the CAZ with generally 2012 Versas.

edited 3 June 2021 14:54: Thank you SCH117X - forgot that the Flyer Versas are 2016 to 2018 having been used on the Dalesway 66 and Aireline 760 previously
-----
Hope the offers mentioned in post 1623 help to boost (repeat) passenger numbers.
-----
The Aireline Geminis were refurbished and upgraded to Euro6 to meet the Leeds CAZ (that of course never actually happened), and the Flyer Versas are certainly compliant (most were Euro6 anyway I think). I wouldn't be surprised if the Shuttle B7RLEs were upgraded to Euro6, but regardless, they are getting long in the tooth now and it's perhaps time for replacement anyway.

The 67 may be a problem, mind! But Transdev have long proved adept at shuffling vehicles as needed, and the likely glut of upgraded B7RLEs from the 1 in Harrogate and the Shuttle at Keighley may well solve that problem - I can't imagine many of the B10BLEs remaining in regular service at Blackburn in particular, or the remaining Rosso Scanias, surviving any such cascade.

Leedsbusman

The Aireline Geminis were refurbished and upgraded to Euro6 to meet the Leeds CAZ (that of course never actually happened), and the Flyer Versas are certainly compliant (most were Euro6 anyway I think). I wouldn't be surprised if the Shuttle B7RLEs were upgraded to Euro6, but regardless, they are getting long in the tooth now and it's perhaps time for replacement anyway.

The 67 may be a problem, mind! But Transdev have long proved adept at shuffling vehicles as needed, and the likely glut of upgraded B7RLEs from the 1 in Harrogate and the Shuttle at Keighley may well solve that problem - I can't imagine many of the B10BLEs remaining in regular service at Blackburn in particular, or the remaining Rosso Scanias, surviving any such cascade.
Most buses at Keighley and Idle comply with the CAZ requirements including all the 18xx B7s.

RustySpoons

You say that, but there's been some very recent repaints of three (off the top of my head) B10BLEs into Blackburn Bus Co livery, so I reckon those at least have 12 months minimum left in service.

The Valleyline could get some of the ex Harrogate-1 B7RLEs though which would see off the B10s that currently run that service. It'll be interesting to see fi the Shuttles get redeployed elsewhere though. It was hoped they'd get 10 more years out of them after their mid-life spruce up but they are starting to become troublesome. Then again so did the ex RedExpress/CityZap B7TLs but they still sent them out to wring every last mile out of them, and there's one or two that are still out earning.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
This isn’t uncommon for when companies purchase other companies. The Companies House parts is now online registered to their Harrogate Address

The Vosa registration is currently under consideration, however will likely pass without any issues, wouldn’t think that the team pennine name will be the name on the buses, I would expect similar names for routes ect to other Transdev routes

Indeed...

PB2044957 SN
Team Pennine Limited Director(s): Alex Hornby, Mark Dale, Paul Turner, Vittorio Pizzu
TRANSDEV BLAZEFIELD LTD, BROUGHTON WAY, HARROGATE, HG2 7NY
Operating Centre: BUS DEPOT, PENISTONE ROAD, WATERLOO, HUDDERSFIELD, HD5 8QU Authorisation: 50 vehicle(s)
Operating Centre: UNIT G10, LOCK VIEW, LOWFIELDS BUSINESS PARK, ELLAND, HX5 9HD Authorisation: 31 vehicle(s)
Transport Manager(s): Joy Anne Devine, David Brotheridge

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
So they’re scrapping the Tiger brand then and using that “Team Pennine” name customer facing?

Ashly_Jethro

You say that, but there's been some very recent repaints of three (off the top of my head) B10BLEs into Blackburn Bus Co livery, so I reckon those at least have 12 months minimum left in service.

The Valleyline could get some of the ex Harrogate-1 B7RLEs though which would see off the B10s that currently run that service. It'll be interesting to see fi the Shuttles get redeployed elsewhere though. It was hoped they'd get 10 more years out of them after their mid-life spruce up but they are starting to become troublesome. Then again so did the ex RedExpress/CityZap B7TLs but they still sent them out to wring every last mile out of them, and there's one or two that are still out earning.
Four B10s* just leaving 2 Lancashire United branded vehicles in service.

Others including myself have come to the same conclusion about the 1s current B7s. Four of them are only 07 plates (originally) so they and one of the 04s would work nicely on ValleyLine.

Just the one B7TL left out and about on school services from Burnley. All the zaps have been stripped and I’m sure many of the RedEx ones will have been too.

Perhaps with a rebuild of the Shuttle fleet (ie engine out, fully cleaned with new gaskets etc) should see off some of the issues they’re having and gain those last 4-5 years they were hoping for.

Interesting colour scheme....
Seems like a rather… interesting choice. Would “the Pennine Bus Company” not have been a better fit? Even then Pennine wouldn’t have been my first choice