• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

HarryL

The loudest voices in this thread didn’t like the previous era of the company either and used to fall over themselves to moan and complain at the slightest thing they could find
With the caveat of none of us know what the contract entails or how much they're paying for it, it does seem from the outside to have been a bad move so far. It's fair enough that if couldn't continue to afford the previous app, but there should have been plenty of red flags looking at feedback to the developers other apps.

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to speculate on whether this would have happened in other eras of the company, they did for a long time pride themselves on customer service and this is a bit of a miss on that front.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCH117X

Established Member
They have give me out five free journeys as a welcome to the new app but has anyone actually had there ticket(s) transferred to the new app? Still waiting for mine which is now down to a single day ticket but I doubt I will use that before the end of the month. Looks like remembering take a screen shot of the old app on Sunday. I emailed them last Thursday having got an email saying they had been transferred when it hadn't. They replied on Monday saying they were still in the process of transferring tickets and it should be completed soon.

johntea

Established Member
Hopefully the next update also removes the rather bizarre requirement of having to upload a photograph just to buy a standard bus ticket...

Established Member
They have give me out five free journeys as a welcome to the new app but has anyone actually had there ticket(s) transferred to the new app? Still waiting for mine which is now down to a single day ticket but I doubt I will use that before the end of the month. Looks like remembering take a screen shot of the old app on Sunday. I emailed them last Thursday having got an email saying they had been transferred when it hadn't. They replied on Monday saying they were still in the process of transferring tickets and it should be completed soon.

I'm starting to think those five free journeys might be your "transferred" ticket. Did you buy a bundle of 5 in the old app? Other people are having the same issue with bundles and possibly period tickets as well. I'm wondering if their system isn't capable of transferring partially used tickets. And if that is happening to a lot of people how much is it costing Transdev?

Two more fairly major issues I've come across now with the live departures - late running buses are disappearing at the scheduled time even though the tracking correctly shows they are late, and the app only seems to show one destination for each route, so short journeys are incorrectly shown as running the full route.

northernchris

Established Member
Two more fairly major issues I've come across now with the live departures - late running buses are disappearing at the scheduled time even though the tracking correctly shows they are late, and the app only seems to show one destination for each route, so short journeys are incorrectly shown as running the full route.

Late buses disappearing isn't great, especially when it's difficult to work out which bus is yours on the map now they are all that unpleasant orange colour! I also realised today that on the new app cancelled buses just show scheduled time. They had recently been able to mark cancelled journeys on the old app which was really useful.

SCH117X

Established Member
I'm starting to think those five free journeys might be your "transferred" ticket. Did you buy a bundle of 5 in the old app? Other people are having the same issue with bundles and possibly period tickets as well. I'm wondering if their system isn't capable of transferring partially used tickets. And if that is happening to a lot of people how much is it costing Transdev?

No - it was a bundle of 10 day tickets, was down to two when I rasied the query and now just one left.

The live departures issue was a fault with the Passenger app as well - I have stood at a stop watching it claimingh to be live tracking couninmg down to an arriving time only for no bus to appear. At other times it has not been live tracking and a bus has appeared, which might be a GPS issue with the bus.

Ashly_Jethro

No - it was a bundle of 10 day tickets, was down to two when I rasied the query and now just one left.

The live departures issue was a fault with the Passenger app as well - I have stood at a stop watching it claimingh to be live tracking couninmg down to an arriving time only for no bus to appear. At other times it has not been live tracking and a bus has appeared, which might be a GPS issue with the bus.

If the GPS isn’t working on the vehicle then it did default to scheduled time, so if the bus was late it would still count down to departure time but appear to not show up.

Late buses disappearing isn't great, especially when it's difficult to work out which bus is yours on the map now they are all that unpleasant orange colour! I also realised today that on the new app cancelled buses just show scheduled time. They had recently been able to mark cancelled journeys on the old app which was really useful.

The new bus cancelled feature on the old app was exceptionally useful and had likely been a result of passenger feedback as it would have just shown a scheduled departure without GPS even though it might have been advertised as a cancelled journey in service updates

All in all, the old app was fantastic and a result of years of hard work and feedback driven updates. This new one just seems very poorly thought out in a layout perspective and have its fair share of bugs and lags, not to mention missing features that were on the old app

RustySpoons

All in all, the old app was fantastic and a result of years of hard work and feedback driven updates. This new one just seems very poorly thought out in a layout perspective and have its fair share of bugs and lags, not to mention missing features that were on the old app
It wouldn't have been as bad if the new app integrated some of the updates made to the old app before release. Just feels as though they've started with a brand new app, full of bugs and issues and they're going to fix things as they go along. Fair play they're fixing them, but it's something that shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Had an email this morning reminding me I need to download the new app. I found this bit slightly frustrating...

We've got some great improvements on the new app for you already! Make sure you've updated to the latest version.

- Faster loading on the bus tracker
- An easy button to navigate to your current location on the bus tracker
- Bus stops are now showing on the bus tracker
- More information about your favourite stops
- We're also working on an number of additional improvements to deliver in the coming weeks including
- Easier to see journeys which have been cancelled
- Route numbers showing on the buses on the bus tracker-

Don’t forget to make the app your own… set your favourites, access things more quickly and get updates on your services

'Great improvements'! All those features were available with the old app. I certainly wouldn't call ruining something and then slowly trying to introduce features people were used to an improvement.

96tommy

Back in Tadcaster for a few days so thought I’d try out the app….

Probably the most useless transport app I’ve tried and replaced one which used to work pretty well!

Didn’t know what the timetable would look like today so tried the journey planner (attached screenshot below), it doesn’t even list the Coastliner as an option to get from Tadcaster to York.

Attachments

• IMG_4315.png
    IMG_4315.png
    249.3 KB · Views: 67

SCH117X

Established Member
The new website also has been launched which is equally bad. Some but not all services on the web site have the option to download the proper timetable but that which is otherwise shown on the website and in the app have a stack of services shown as running schooldays only e.g. every third Harrogate Electric 2 during the daytime. They would be better having a redirection to bustimes.org until they can get someone competant to do to job rather than seemingly the 10 year old they have employed.

Yorkshireguy

Back in Tadcaster for a few days so thought I’d try out the app….

Probably the most useless transport app I’ve tried and replaced one which used to work pretty well!

Didn’t know what the timetable would look like today so tried the journey planner (attached screenshot below), it doesn’t even list the Coastliner as an option to get from Tadcaster to York.
Perhaps more comically - Pickering to York via Scarborough, Middlesbrough and Leeds. That’s a fair trek!

This app package has been in use with Uno, Diamond, plenty of others… They say they didn’t know what they were getting themselves into. How bad are things if even the industry-standard app has to get cut?

Attachments

• IMG_2037.jpeg
    IMG_2037.jpeg
    661.5 KB · Views: 39

Redmike

The Blackburn, Burnley and Rosso websites all link to the network map for …Yorkshire‍♂️

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Perhaps more comically - Pickering to York via Scarborough, Middlesbrough and Leeds. That’s a fair trek!

This app package has been in use with Uno, Diamond, plenty of others… They say they didn’t know what they were getting themselves into. How bad are things if even the industry-standard app has to get cut?

Looks like they've done something to the data they publish. Bustimes doesn't have current times for 840/843, only from April 8. Google hasn't got access, either. Metro has the timetable, but that's not where the planners are looking.

The Blackburn, Burnley and Rosso websites all link to the network map for …Yorkshire‍♂️

One improvement, at least.

More seriously, it's odd that that map has just one Team Pennine service on it - which means it must have been designed after they took them over.

Last edited:

Established Member
Another thing the new app doesn't do today - it doesn't recognise that today is a bank holiday.

If you to go the live departures for a stop, there is a notice saying there might be a different service on a bank holiday, but the departures listed are all the regular weekday timetable, making them utterly useless.

And if you go to the timetable, unlike the old app/website which showed the timetable for a particular date, you just get the options of Monday-Friday, Saturday or Sunday, with no indication of which is in operation today.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Another thing the new app doesn't do today - it doesn't recognise that today is a bank holiday.

If you to go the live departures for a stop, there is a notice saying there might be a different service on a bank holiday, but the departures listed are all the regular weekday timetable, making them utterly useless.

And if you go to the timetable, unlike the old app/website which showed the timetable for a particular date, you just get the options of Monday-Friday, Saturday or Sunday, with no indication of which is in operation today.

A particular pain where I live, where the 62 and 66 are running to a Saturday timetable and the M4 to a Sunday timetable.

96tommy

Another error I’ve noticed with the app this morning. Checked around an hour ago the 08:58 from Tad to Leeds was showing when looking at the bus station times, now with 20 minutes to go it’s gone but I can see it on the bus tracker.

24 hours of using it and it’s just terrible. Really user unfriendly….

Another bugbear is the name of the stops. I’ve added the stops I commonly use as “favourites” but there is nothing to give much indication on where the stops are Rail Station instead of York Railway Station, Stand 4 instead of Tadcaster Bus Station (Eastbound), Bus Stn instead of Leeds Bus Station

Attachments

• IMG_4366.jpeg
    IMG_4366.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 24

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Their new app is currently showing a selection of school routes approaching my local stop, which seems unlikely on Easter Monday.

My other half and I are also waiting for over £100 worth of tickets to be transferred to the new app. It's not clear if it's safe to activate them in the old app as they've said it'll stop working at the end of March.

They don't seem to have had anyone on social media over the Bank Holiday weekend, so possibly not the best time to have planned to switch the old one off.

SCH117X

Established Member
The old app is still working, bar the purchase of tickets. Take a screenshot of your tickets every few hours for safety and when the old app does stop working take a screenshot of your latest screenshot so that you have one with the date and time on the screenshot.

RustySpoons

Their new app is currently showing a selection of school routes approaching my local stop, which seems unlikely on Easter Monday.

My other half and I are also waiting for over £100 worth of tickets to be transferred to the new app. It's not clear if it's safe to activate them in the old app as they've said it'll stop working at the end of March.

They don't seem to have had anyone on social media over the Bank Holiday weekend, so possibly not the best time to have planned to switch the old one off.

This is something that needs to be looked at. You're constantly told to check social media for service updates, yet when someone asked why their 6am bus wasn't listed as cancelled they were told that the social media teams only work 7am-7pm, so anything before they start won't be listed. It's not really good enough.

Simon75

On Moderation
This is something that needs to be looked at. You're constantly told to check social media for service updates, yet when someone asked why their 6am bus wasn't listed as cancelled they were told that the social media teams only work 7am-7pm, so anything before they start won't be listed. It's not really good enough.
Yet people coped for years without "checking social media".

duncombec

In that case let's not publish any service updates whatsoever.
With respect, that sort of 'toy throwing' reaction doesn't do your more general comments on the app or services provided any favours at all.

The previous point is very real, though: people did manage for years without checking social media, they still do where companies don't have it, and they still do where the companies do have it but are clinically incapable of providing service updates at any time of the day (hint: they paint their buses monotone blue).

If I'm out and about, I ask myself: would I rather have no service updates at all, and this be completely oblivious to anything, all day, despite regular cancellations because multiple drivers were morning no shows, or would I like to look and know that, for example, I might find out a broad message or that two had been cancelled once the social media team came online? I strongly suspect Transdev might have told me there were "multiple cancellations owing to staff shortages; this may affect two or more subsequent journeys" sooner or later.

I suspect most passengers might like to be told everything, but at least appreciate what they are told.

johntea

Established Member
Used the new app to buy a ticket today…what an absolute pain in the rear end that was!

Uploaded a photo of the bus station wall just to get past that step then wanted to use Apple Pay which I (eventually found) hidden away in user settings

Purchased a ticket which then took several minutes to ‘prepare’ then clicked activate…and the app crashed!

Went back in and activated OK the second time but what a pain…

RustySpoons

Used the new app to buy a ticket today…what an absolute pain in the rear end that was!

Uploaded a photo of the bus station wall just to get past that step then wanted to use Apple Pay which I (eventually found) hidden away in user settings

Purchased a ticket which then took several minutes to ‘prepare’ then clicked activate…and the app crashed!

Went back in and activated OK the second time but what a pain…
Do we know why it needs a photo to buy a ticket?

stevieinselby

Yet people coped for years without "checking social media".
And they were left stranded if buses didn't turn up on time, with no way of finding out if it was delayed or cancelled or lost in the Bermuda triangle.
Is that what you want to go back to?
If public transport providers can't guarantee the overwhelming majority of journeys run on time, they must have customer services available throughout the times that they are supposed to be running.

When we say "people used to manage without mobile phones", we forget how much time we wasted hanging around waiting for people or transport that wasn't coming, being lost, on wild goose chases of all sorts. Yes, we survived, but it made a lot of things more difficult.

Ashly_Jethro

Do we know why it needs a photo to buy a ticket?

Media team suggests this is to avoid fraud where other people are logged into the same account and using tickets. This in my opinion is completely unnecessary, all you need to do is limit the account to one device at one, there’s loads of softwares that do this, if you log in on another device, it logs you out of the first device. And do we really think anyone is going to be going out of the way to commit that type of fraud? Just for a bus fare? I doubt it.

The photo is very intrusive and when you consider a paper ticket can be used by different people (granted, not at the same time) why is m-ticketing any different?

RustySpoons

Media team suggests this is to avoid fraud where other people are logged into the same account and using tickets. This in my opinion is completely unnecessary, all you need to do is limit the account to one device at one, there’s loads of softwares that do this, if you log in on another device, it logs you out of the first device. And do we really think anyone is going to be going out of the way to commit that type of fraud? Just for a bus fare? I doubt it.

The photo is very intrusive and when you consider a paper ticket can be used by different people (granted, not at the same time) why is m-ticketing any different?
Agreed. And if you're scanning the ticket onto the machine using a QR code then the driver won't get to see the photo assigned to the ticket anyway.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Keighleybus used to have photos on season tickets (though never day tickets) but phased them out a long time ago.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
And they were left stranded if buses didn't turn up on time, with no way of finding out if it was delayed or cancelled or lost in the Bermuda triangle.
Is that what you want to go back to?
If public transport providers can't guarantee the overwhelming majority of journeys run on time, they must have customer services available throughout the times that they are supposed to be running.

When we say "people used to manage without mobile phones", we forget how much time we wasted hanging around waiting for people or transport that wasn't coming, being lost, on wild goose chases of all sorts. Yes, we survived, but it made a lot of things more difficult.
Exactly. The reliability of buses has nosedived with a lot of companies over the past few years - previously, you could generally rely on the timetable for something to arrive (not always on time), cancellation used to be a rarity in most places.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
I bought a ticket on the new Transdev app today for Coastliner. It wasn't as bad as some members described it. I had to take a photo (which has displayed next to the barcode when scanning on the bus) and then enter card details. It's not as easy as buying from First but not too hard.

Last edited by a moderator: