TransPennine Express First Class

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by S19, 23 Sep 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S19

S19 Member

What benefits are there to upgrade to First Class on a TP Express service?

The key thing for me is travelling with a power socket available, and Wi-fi is a bonus.

Do the 185s and 170s offer this? I'm not particularly bothered about the food/drink. There's no mention of Power Socket or Wi-fi on the TP website.

Thanks

2. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

Think there's power sockets in both classes on 185, dunno about 170. There's no wi-fi on any FTPE train. 170s are used on South TP (Manc-Sheffield-Cleethorpes and sometimes Manc-Leeds-Hull only) :D

3. S19

S19 Member

Cheers Matt. It's for a journey I need to make to Doncaster soon.

4. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You will get a bigger slightly more comfortable seat in first class, no wi-fi on either 185 or 170, there are power sockets at every seat. Food will be free drink and a snack (assuming the trolley is on board and that will probably be between Leeds and Manchester only perhaps a bit further on some trains and I'm not sure on Manchester to Scotland services).

All in all TPE first class really is only worth it to avoid the overcrowding especially on 170 services.

5. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

It'll most likely be a 170 then, the FTPE website is poor for onboard features, and I don't use the South TP often :D. No wi-fi deffo though :D

6. S19

S19 Member

Cheers guys

7. Lampshade

Lampshade Established Member

Having travelled on one tonight I can confirm there are indeed sockets in standard class and first.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Feb 2011
  8. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Are that at every seat in standard though? On 185s they only have sockets at table seats, not sure about 170s.

9. Lampshade

Lampshade Established Member

The sockets are on the wall as opposed to being attached to the table so they may well be at every seat.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Feb 2011
  10. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Someone like Max will know about TPE 170s. I have never travelled on one, that I can recall, but fairly frequently use 185s and indeed on 185s they are only at table seats (like Pendolinos in that respect) however 185s are a good design of train (internally) and there are plenty of table seats. If I do a journey like York-Manchester I may not get a table at York but I can swap seats at Leeds, and vice versa at Stalybridge, it's not a problem.

11. voyagerdude220

voyagerdude220 Established Member

Going off what i've seen on my trips between Manchester & Cleethorpes a month or two ago, I think there are two diagrams on this route for 170's, with the rest still being 185's.

Unless it's changed recently, the 170's seem to leave Man Picc for Cleethorpes during the afternoon, possibly 13:20 and 15:20, although i'm not sure.

As for TPE 170 FC- I can't comment, as i've only been on one once before, between Hull and Leeds, where I bailed for a 185 to take me to Man Picc. I was glad i had a First anytime single, as I remember being unimpressed by the 170 compared to 185s.

12. David

David Established Member

Compared to the 185s, the 170s are <insert expletive of choice>!

Anyway, the diagrams for the 170s on the South TPE route are:

Diagram 1.

0515 MIA - CLE
    0928 CLE - MIA
    1255 MIA - CLE
    1628 CLE - MIA (very often full and standing between Grimsby - Manchester)

Diagram 2.

0754 MIA - CLE
    1128 CLE - MIA

Diagram 3.

1055 MIA - CLE
    1428 CLE - MIA

13. 317 forever

317 forever Member

I travelled 1st class on a class 185 yesterday. I appreciated it being less busy there but didn't find the seat much more comfortable. Mind you, these Desiros have really good standard class seating anyway!

14. scotsman

scotsman Established Member

Manchester - Dun Edin/Glas Chu have trolley service for the full duration

15. Vulcan

Vulcan Member

the caremelised biscuits are quite nice as well. And once on a TPE from Windermere the trolley lady have us free ice cream, because it would only have to go in the bin if not. :D best 185 journey ever.

16. 142094

142094 Established Member

The only reason I'd go first class would be for either the distance covered or if I knew standard would be busy. Just buying a ticket for the sake of a biscuit and coffee seems strange to me - you could go to the supermarket and get a whole pakcet and jar of coffee for that price.

17. Vulcan

Vulcan Member

I (at 6'6" tall) also enjoy the extra legroom and comfier seats. However, now I have to pay for my own tickets (hello job, goodbye travel pass :( ) I'll just suffer the discrimination all tall people get on public transport and put up with no legroom.

18. 142094

142094 Established Member

I'm around 6' 2" so can just about fit into most seats in standard. I agree that the legroom is nicer but there are a few posts on here where people go 1st to get a biscuit and cup of coffee. I've only done 1st on East Coast and have had a meal and one of the journeys was 8 hours. The other it was cheaper to go 1st so no big deal.

19. Vulcan

Vulcan Member

I reccomend Grand central's first class as well. The only time I rode on it, they were straight round with the tea as soon as the train started moving, and whenever my cup got empty for all the journey. very impressive.

Sorry, thats not very TPE-ish. TPE fruit cake is nice as well.

20. voyagerdude220

voyagerdude220 Established Member

Off topic (To save opening a new thread just for this):

Does anyone know whether Hull Trains is still offering a very inferior selection of food to their FC passengers, compared to the full hot meals they had with the Class 222's?

I think they were going to fit ovens to the 180's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.