• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Time for a King/Queen of Miles Platting Bank driver challenge assuming the electrics will zoom up it much faster than anything we have now.
Hmmm.... Still think a 68 at full chat will still give the electrics a run for their money up Miles Platting. They outperform diesel 802s despite only having 4 powered axles versus 12 as they have a 1000hp power advantage. I think 68s also perform better pushing compared to hauling up the bank but think I need to do some more timing runs to be sure.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
The August 2021 tracker for York - CF is now live: https://sacuksprodnrdigital0001.blob.core.windows.net/york-to-church-fenton-monthly-project-tracker/August 2021 monthly project tracker.pdf
OLE works to report: Piling around Braegate Lane/Colton Jn on nights (01, 02-07, 09-14 August), and SPS installation on days(!) (02-06, 09-13, 16-20 August) between Church Fenton & Braegate Lane (i.e. those locations plus Ulleskelf & Bolton Percy), plus nights (23-27 August) at Church Fenton & Braegate Lane.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that for those 3 weeks in August, there'll be diversions of traffic onto the Normanton lines between Colton & CF, as the Leeds lines look less finished than the Normantons.

Last edited:

Tim_UK

It was most likely a movement clear to allow the bridge repairs; the equipment will probably be restored verbatim once the blockade is done.
(FYI - the wires would be 'isolated', rather than insulated)
The tram wires on one of the tracks in Victoria were actually insulated. I was confused what I was looking at. There is tram track works happening too.

I went through again and got a better look.

Train wires were removed outside though. From the Stalybridge lines.

Presumably never used! I haven't heard of a spate of electric trains shunting between platforms
I think shunting would still be possible, just only using the Rochdale lines.

59CosG95

Established Member
Over on the Castleford Station improvements thread, reports are in that Platform 2 at the station is to be returned to use, with a Leeds - Castleford shuttle introduced to connect with a 'Leeds Avoiding' passenger service running as follows:
Church Fenton - Castleford - Normanton - Wakefield Kirkgate - Healey Mills - Thornhill LNW Jn - Mirfield (calling points unknown, other than TPE using Castleford as a stop instead of Leeds)

This could be useful for TRU work packages W4 (Westtown (Dewsbury) - Leeds), W5 (Morley Stn), E2 (Leeds Departures), E3 (Cross Gates - Micklefield) & E4 (Micklefield - Church Fenton), either singularly or simultaneously.

See posts below:
According to a local Facebook group some workmen have turned up and started digging up the only very recently refurbished station (I can confirm this bit!)

Further comments suggest this is likely part of the Transpennine Route Upgrade (from someone who is actually a worker on the project), a permanent platform is going in, they are 'slewing' the tracks and all new signals

View attachment 100283

If that's right it sounds like there may be plans to have shuttles between Leeds and Castleford with TPE dropping people off there rather than buses between Leeds and York/Huddersfield depending on where works are going on at the time.

Spartacus

Established Member
Just a bit of quick calculating and for services going via Healey Mills & Castleford vice Dewsbury & Garforth, a call at Castleford vice running into Leeds would neatly allow services to pick up their booked paths from either Huddersfield or York.

59CosG95

Established Member
Just a bit of quick calculating and for services going via Healey Mills & Castleford vice Dewsbury & Garforth, a call at Castleford vice running into Leeds would neatly allow services to pick up their booked paths from either Huddersfield or York.
Indeed it would. I assume bustitution would still be required for intermediate services such as Morley - Leeds, but this takes off a lot of pressure from Leeds.
XC would need to divert or truncate their services running beyond Leeds, either running via Doncaster & Temple Hirst from Sheffield, or via Castleford (probably not calling) with a Leeds reversal to reach York.

Geeves

Established Member
I would say we are in double figures for shunting on electric at Vic east end, even so it's alot of work for the amount of use so far.

59CosG95

Established Member
Another small update on the W1 front - piles have now reached the Baguley Fold area. This image from LinkedIn shows one being installed right outside the door of the signalbox!

Attachments

• bag fold.jpg
    bag fold.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 83

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Assuming you're replacing a service that normally calls at Dewsbury or Garforth, then it's about 2 mins slower, but that's within the margin of what can be 'fudged'. If not calling at Dewsbury or Garforth then it's more like 5 mins, but still manageable in most cases.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Is that signal box going to be kept long term or demolished as part of TRU?
I think it was due to go in the original upgrade plan (when it was Phase 5 of NW electrification).
But when that got reduced to the Great Extension Lead, only Ashton Moss box was eliminated in the route upgrade.
You'd not expect it to survive electrification, but Eccles and Astley are still in operation further west.

59CosG95

Established Member
I think it was due to go in the original upgrade plan (when it was Phase 5 of NW electrification).
But when that got reduced to the Great Extension Lead, only Ashton Moss box was eliminated in the route upgrade.
You'd not expect it to survive electrification, but Eccles and Astley are still in operation further west.
A photo from someone on Flickr (who I think might work at said box) states that Baguley Fold will close in 2022. I haven't seen any indication that it'll close during Christmas this year, so I'd hedge bets on a bank holiday next year.

childwallblues

Established Member
Also St Helens Central Signal Box survived electrification.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Crane getting set up ready for the blockade when I passed today.

Definitely noticing the piles going east at a fairly rapid rate, the bright orange pile caps help in spotting them! Almost as if it's been done on the sly compared to other enhancements. I go past most days so let me know if you want updates post blockade.

Attachments

• DSC_0387.JPG
    DSC_0387.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 115

Class 170101

Established Member
Over on the Castleford Station improvements thread, reports are in that Platform 2 at the station is to be returned to use, with a Leeds - Castleford shuttle introduced to connect with a 'Leeds Avoiding' passenger service running as follows:
Church Fenton - Castleford - Normanton - Wakefield Kirkgate - Healey Mills - Thornhill LNW Jn - Mirfield (calling points unknown, other than TPE using Castleford as a stop instead of Leeds)

This could be useful for TRU work packages W4 (Westtown (Dewsbury) - Leeds), W5 (Morley Stn), E2 (Leeds Departures), E3 (Cross Gates - Micklefield) & E4 (Micklefield - Church Fenton), either singularly or simultaneously.

Not quite understanding why Castleford Platform 2 restoration is needed unless people are expecting the packages to be done all at once but would there be enough construction workers and other resources (post Brexit) to do the projects all at once?

Doesn't NR usually block the route either east of west of Leeds at one time and not both and therefore TPE take longer via Normanton or Castleford and drop into the next TPE slot at Leeds or York eastbound or westbound at Leeds and Huddersfield respectively.

Grumpy

Over on the Castleford Station improvements thread, reports are in that Platform 2 at the station is to be returned to use, with a Leeds - Castleford shuttle introduced to connect with a 'Leeds Avoiding' passenger service
From watching TP services at Leeds I get the impression they are like Cross Country services at Birmingham in that the numbers of passengers joining/alighting is much greater than the number passing through. So it would seem crazy to make the majority change to a shuttle at Castleford. Better to either run a through service via Normanton-Leeds-Castleford, or split the services at Leeds and offer through passengers a change at Leeds

WestRiding

I had no idea that Castleford formed such an important part of potential TPX operations. Pigs will be flying next.

hwl

Established Member
From watching TP services at Leeds I get the impression they are like Cross Country services at Birmingham in that the numbers of passengers joining/alighting is much greater than the number passing through. So it would seem crazy to make the majority change to a shuttle at Castleford. Better to either run a through service via Normanton-Leeds-Castleford, or split the services at Leeds and offer through passengers a change at Leeds
It isn't just about TP but also XC avoiding
So:
a) have an alternative national XC timetable for when Leeds - Church Fenton is closed for electrification works so that XC services still call at Leeds requiring more trains and staff
or
b) rereoute via Castleford and run a sperate shuttle service Leeds - Castleford

SuperNova

Castleford allows for some TPE service to divert and miss Leeds completely, therefore not increasing journey time significantly, with some also going into Leeds to provide appropriate connections.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I thought quite a bit of avoiding route hardening had been taking place over the last few years anyway. I assume that is a reason you can not have Calder Valley electrification and/or upgrades going on at the same time as north Trans Pennine Upgrade work.

hwl

Established Member
Doesn't NR usually block the route either east of west of Leeds at one time and not both and therefore TPE take longer via Normanton or Castleford and drop into the next TPE slot at Leeds or York eastbound or westbound at Leeds and Huddersfield respectively.
Given the scale of the works Huddersfield - Leeds it would be almost impossible to progress works from Leeds - Church Fenton without there being some closures of both at the same time but not via Leeds TP diversions could be run.

I thought quite a bit of avoiding route hardening had been taking place over the last few years anyway. I assume that is a reason you can not have Calder Valley electrification and/or upgrades going on at the same time as north Trans Pennine Upgrade work.
Agreed.

WestRiding

Is Castleford going to get Electrification then as part of this? What exactly is going to end up getting electrification, it all seems to have got lost in the details.

CJ

Was nice to see some Class 802s at Piccadilly today on the Piccadilly - Newcastle circuit. :)

How come they do not operate in electric mode between Piccadilly - Guide Bridge (towards Stalybridge)? Is it due to the infrastructure, or is there no point as it's a short bit of electrified line?

Hopefully the Guide Bridge - Stalybridge section is part of the TRU also.

jonnyfan

Was nice to see some Class 802s at Piccadilly today on the Piccadilly - Newcastle circuit. :)

How come they do not operate in electric mode between Piccadilly - Guide Bridge (towards Stalybridge)? Is it due to the infrastructure, or is there no point as it's a short bit of electrified line?

The 802s can change over on the move I believe, but the infrastructure via Guide Bridge is very old and wouldn't be able to cope with power change overs unfortunately

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

TPE don't do power changeovers on the move currently (quite aside from the capability, or otherwise, of the wiring to withstand moving pantographs being raised). Nothing stopping the pan from being raised whilst at Piccadilly but it would be a bit pointless as most of the turnarounds are only 20-25 mins and the diesel engines need to be restarted in time for departure.

Guide Bridge-Stalybridge is certainly in the last version of the plan I've seen - the bigger omission IMHO is Philips Park West Jn to Ashburys, which is a very useful little line that's currently slated to remain unelectrified.