• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Interesting. From an earlier post I had 473 piles total. That update tracker says 543 piles.

I read this post when I thought I had clicked on another, and read it out of context.

My initial thought was ‘Oooh, painful’, but then the penny dropped with the last sentence!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
My initial thought was ‘Oooh, painful’, but then the penny dropped with the last sentence!

:lol:

This got me really interested. Obviously do not want to go into speculative mode and take the thread OT but - the data is published right there on the home page.

473 piles
8 months project
(7m deep - but not relevant for this comment)
60 metres apart approximately
project length 8 miles.

So first of all I googled to be sure the distance between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge even though I already knew it because of years of Peak and Generator bashing in the 1970s and 1980s. Then I did the mathematics on the published data.
Manchester to Stalybridge project

number of piles 473
metres between piles (stated) 60
total distance metres 28320 = 60 x (473-1) metres
but piles needed both sides of line so divide by 2 = 14160 metres
Both sides miles 8.799 miles

Now of course there are 4 track section and anchor terminators etc. But this looks like conclusive proof the whole section is getting piled and if you are doing that then it is going to get sparked up.
This was the post I was referring to.

snowball

Established Member
Is that the same tunnel that was said to be difficult to electrify a while ago?
Yes.

As far as I know the extension lead has been in use for a couple of years, helping to feed electric services on the Chat Moss and Manchester-Preston lines.

I don't know whether any restrictions would have been necessary on those services if the lead had not been there, or whether enough juice could have been supplied from other sources.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Afaik The Great Extension Lead is permanent
IIRC the "Great Extension Lead" will become an Independent Feeder between Heyrod and the Ordsall Lane Auto Transformer Feeder Station? It will enable Heyrod to continue to feed the Bolton and Chat Moss lines if the OLE between Stalybridge and Victoria has to be isolated because of an incident or during maintenance.

Chiltern006

im slightly confused here- are they electrifying the whole route ie man vic-colton jcn or just parts of it? cheers

edwin_m

Veteran Member
IIRC the "Great Extension Lead" will become an Independent Feeder between Heyrod and the Ordsall Lane Auto Transformer Feeder Station? It will enable Heyrod to continue to feed the Bolton and Chat Moss lines if the OLE between Stalybridge and Victoria has to be isolated because of an incident or during maintenance.
If they'd included Stalybridge to Guide Bridge then the GEL could probably have been curtailed to Stalybridge, because there would have been two independent OLE routes for the power to get to the rest of the network. But now they've built it the cost is sunk - another example of how lack of agreed forward plans increases costs.

L+Y

No decision has yet been taken to electrify Stalybridge-Huddersfield. The rest is almost certain.

You say that, but I've heard next to no mention anywhere of either Raventhorpe to Leeds, or Church Fenton to Leeds. You'd think they'd be obvious, but so far I'm hearing absolutely nothing, which makes me wonder how much discontinuous electrification for use by bi-modes oy there will be in practice.

WAO

If they'd included Stalybridge to Guide Bridge then the GEL could probably have been curtailed to Stalybridge, because there would have been two independent OLE routes for the power to get to the rest of the network. But now they've built it the cost is sunk - another example of how lack of agreed forward plans increases costs.
I think that a typical ATFS of 2x40MVA will need a dedicated, troughed XLPE cable from its grid supply point, near or far, not just several OLE feeds, one of which is quite old. Ordsall Lane is clearly the right site for the main feeder, if an Aston uL pidgeon is not to immobilise the entire Manchester rail system!

It's good to see progress and real investment in bridge decks, curve easing etc, even if piecemeal and unadvertised.

WAO

quantinghome

Established Member
You say that, but I've heard next to no mention anywhere of either Raventhorpe to Leeds, or Church Fenton to Leeds. You'd think they'd be obvious, but so far I'm hearing absolutely nothing, which makes me wonder how much discontinuous electrification for use by bi-modes oy there will be in practice.
Those sections will be affected one way or another by whatever decisions are made on HS2 eastern leg and NPR. That's why we haven't heard anything.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Those sections will be affected one way or another by whatever decisions are made on HS2 eastern leg and NPR. That's why we haven't heard anything.
Ravensthorpe to Leeds isn't affected any more than Huddersfield to Ravensthorpe is. I suspect there's someone somewhere working on it with the intention of finishing about the same time as that section, but they can start later because it will mainly be just electrifying what is there now, not building new tracks and junctions as they are further west.

hwl

Established Member
Ravensthorpe to Leeds isn't affected any more than Huddersfield to Ravensthorpe is. I suspect there's someone somewhere working on it with the intention of finishing about the same time as that section, but they can start later because it will mainly be just electrifying what is there now, not building new tracks and junctions as they are further west.
Approval so far is just for the Grayling era partial scheme. More recent work on full electrification hasn't been approved yet.

snowball

Established Member
The papers for the Huddersfield to Westtown TWAO application mention electrifying "from Huddersfield to Westtown and right through to Leeds".

Post #4468 links a consultation about a level crossing replacement at Batley in which the artist's impressions include OLE. (Having no particular interest in the location, I haven't watched the hour-long video).

It has been mentioned in this thread that people living near Church Fenton, south of the bit now being electrified, have consulted about a proposed road including a bridge over the line. This is likely to be connected with solving the Steventon-type problem there.

If I could find the document that defines the sections like W3a etc, it describes briefly the state of the design on each.

Last edited:

tpjm

Electrification is currently in scope between MCV/GUI and SYB, and then HUD and LDS. All other electrification is tbc.

snowball

Established Member
Electrification is currently in scope between MCV/GUI and SYB, and then HUD and LDS. All other electrification is tbc.
What about Church Fenton to Colton Junction? That seems to be the most advanced on the ground.

Mollman

Established Member
I cannot believe Leeds to Church Fenton is not a definite.
I imagine it is but there are a few design questions to deal with before it goes ahead:
- How far should it go on the route towards Hull?
- How will the route interact with HS2, if Eastern Leg is cancelled what will this mean for the 'Garforth bypass'?
- How much 4-tracking is needed East of Leeds?
- Should the new station at Thorpe Park be built at the same time