• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Revaulx

I thought it was so that newly electrified services from the north and west could be extended to Stalybridge to reduce congestion at Victoria (or probably more accurately, prevent an increase in congestion following electrification).
Definitely. It's why the long disused ex-L&Y bay by the Buffet Bar (platform 5?) was reinstated. The works at Rochdale that were done at the same time were to provide a similar turning point for the remaining diesel services from the west.

This was all of a piece with the expected electrification of Lostock-Wigan. When that was dropped, doing just Stalybridge made no sense.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buspilot

Definitely. It's why the long disused ex-L&Y bay by the Buffet Bar (platform 5?) was reinstated.
It was technically not a reinstatement as Platform 5 is a total new build. The old bay platforms you refer to are long gone, now covered by industrial units and Stalybridge Fire Station
There is also Platform 2, a west facing bay platform.

Revaulx

It was technically not a reinstatement as Platform 5 is a total new build. The old bay platforms you refer to are long gone, now covered by industrial units and Stalybridge Fire Station
There is also Platform 2, a west facing bay platform.
Ah fair enough!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Platform 2 in use

Brissle Girl

Established Member
With all this speculation going on, here's something a bit more solid.

The first pile for work section W4 (Dewsbury - Leeds) has gone in nr Morley. Looks to be Lundys on piling duty; they're also doing W1 in Manchester.
Given we now know that these are piles for electrification, but are being installed now in advance of work on the new station (which makes sense), is there any indication whether they are just one offs at the station site as part of that work, or they will continue to be installed elsewhere on the route?

jonesy3001

Established Member
Latest update on LinkedIn shows the track being relayed on the new alignment over queens rd before the handover on Monday.
Also the comments are interesting, as I have posted on there.

Last edited:

Halish Railway

Established Member
Given we now know that these are piles for electrification, but are being installed now in advance of work on the new station (which makes sense), is there any indication whether they are just one offs at the station site as part of that work, or they will continue to be installed elsewhere on the route?
It can’t be a coincidence that out of all of the places to start the work they chose this site. Besides, if this was part of the wider Dewsbury (Westtown) electrification then surely we would see at least a works compound, a press release or a dedicated page on Network Rail’s website.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
That’s my thinking, although the work south of York did seem to get under way with a remarkably low profile. But given the noise involved in piling, I would have though some notification to residents would happen in the event of a wider piling programme.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Took the train round the chord to work this morning. From Stalybridge to Victoria I sat on the south side. Noticed OLE piles for the majority of the distance between the M60 and Victoria but there are a few notable gaps, in all the gaps extensive devegtation was underway so assume these will be carried on during normal overnight possessions.

New works look impressive at miles platting. Can't remember what the final linespeed is set to be but I assumed it wasn't 30 as I think that is what it was before?

Will sit on north side of train next opportunity I get.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The possession was handed back slightly earlier than planned at 2am this morning. Well done to all involved.

Ken H

On Moderation
so to summarise
Church Fenton - Colton Jct - WIP
Man Vic - Stalybridge - WIP
Huddersfield - Ravensthorpe - WIP

everything else - odd bits of enabling works but no real evidence of work being funded yet

is that about right?

Established Member
so to summarise

everything else - odd bits of enabling works but no real evidence of work being funded yet

is that about right?
Guide Bridge?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
so to summarise

is that about right?
I think Huddersfield to Ravensthorpe WIP is more design work in progress. Whereas the other two there are active signs on the ground.

snowball

Established Member
i included because I believe its funded.
(Huddersfield-Ravensthorpe)
My impression is that funding for it is highly probable (assuming the TWAO is granted) but not guaranteed. The documents for the TWAO application do not include a statement that it is funded. They do include an estimate of the cost (about £1.4bn) and a statement that DfT have been kept on board during the design development, making NR reasonably confident that financial approval will be forthcoming at the point where it is needed.

Guide Bridge?
I haven't seen any offical-seeming statements about it in recent years.

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
(Huddersfield-Ravensthorpe)
My impression is that funding for it is highly probable (assuming the TWAO is granted) but not guaranteed. The documents for the TWAO application do not include a statement that it is funded. They do include an estimate of the cost (about £1.4bn) and a statement that DfT have been kept on board during the design development, making NR reasonably confident that financial approval will be forthcoming at the point where it is needed.
thanks

snowball

Established Member
I don’t know is it? I always thought Stalybridge to both Victoria and Piccadilly via Guide Bridge was a single entity, but I may be mistaken.
It was at one time when it was phase 5 of the North-west electrification programme, but that was several years ago and there have been several rounds of postponements and droppings from the scheme since then. First Guide Bridge was postponed to be done as part of the main TP electrification programme instead of at the same time as Victoria to Stalybridge; then Victoria to Stalybridge was cut back to Bromley Street. In those days Micklefield to Selby was also part of the main TP scheme but now isn't. In those days Stalybridge to Huddersfield was due to be wired but now isn't unless somebody puts it back in. So I don't think it's safe to draw conclusions about today from what was in the scheme five or six years ago. Those years have been characterised by lack of clarity about what is going to happen and when.

Last edited:

CJ

snowball

Established Member
Press release on the completed works, further works over the next few weekends, and the larger TRU.

Electrification not mentioned, of course.

It seems to think Manchester is in the eastern region.

Major 16-day railway overhaul completed in Manchester as part of the Transpennine Route Upgrade​

Region & Route: Eastern | Eastern: North & East
  • Work to reconstruct/strengthen railway bridges and upgrade track in central Manchester was completed by Network Rail this morning (16 August)
  • Railway lines between Manchester Victoria and Rochdale and Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge have fully reopened following successful completion of the work with final finishing touches being made on Sunday 22 August, Sundays throughout September and the weekend of 2/3 October
  • This forms part of the Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) which will bring faster, more reliable services to passengers travelling between Manchester and York, via Huddersfield and Leeds
Railway passengers in Greater Manchester move one step closer to faster, more frequent, more reliable trains after major railway upgrades were completed on time between Manchester Victoria, Rochdale and Stalybridge.

Work took place from Saturday 31 July until Sunday 15 August to completely reconstruct railway bridges on Dantzic Street and Queens Road and strengthen and waterproof Bromley Street and Oldham Road bridges.

Over 3000m of track was upgraded and track remodelled between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge. 17 new signals were also installed.

Further work takes place as planned on Sunday 22 August, Sundays throughout September and the weekend of 2 and 3 October, to make the final changes with less disruption to passengers. All TransPennine Express (TPE) services will again be diverted into Manchester Piccadilly, with TPE services between Manchester Piccadilly and Liverpool being operated by rail replacement buses on Sundays. Buses will also replace Northern services between Stalybridge and Manchester Victoria calling at Ashton-under-Lyne.

This work is essential to enable more trains and faster trains to run in future. The newly renovated bridges now allow increased weight loading of more trains and the new and remodelled track will allow trains to run at faster speeds.

This milestone is a crucial part of the multi-billion-pound Transpennine Route Upgrade. This major railway upgrade programme will improve connectivity in the North of England by providing faster, more reliable services for passengers travelling between Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and York.

Established Member
It was at one time when it was phase 5 of the North-west electrification programme, but that was several years ago and there have been several rounds of postponements and droppings from the scheme since then. First Guide Bridge was postponed to be done as part of the main TP electrification programme instead of at the same time as Victoria to Stalybridge; then Victoria to Stalybridge was cut back to Bromley Street. In those days Micklefield to Selby was also part of the main TP scheme but now isn't. In those days Stalybridge to Huddersfield was due to be wired but now isn't unless somebody puts it back in. So I don't think it's safe to draw conclusions about today from what was in the scheme five or six years ago. Those years have been characterised by lack of clarity about what is going to happen and when.
So is Bromley Street - Stalybridge the section that is now being done?
I asked about this few weeks ago, see post #4409

Hopefully it is still included.
Given the lack of clarity referenced by snowball, it may well still be included. It wouldn’t make sense to omit it, given how short of a line it is.
Press release on the completed works, further works over the next few weekends, and the larger TRU.

Electrification not mentioned, of course.

It seems to think Manchester is in the eastern region.
Of course the former Great Central lines east of Manchester, including Guide Bridge - Stalybridge, were originally in the Eastern Region, having passed to the LNER, but Victoria - Stalybridge/Rochdale weren’t.

It was also the Eastern Region which pioneered the electrification of the Woodhead line, which again passed through Guide Bridge.

Glenn1969

Established Member

Given the lack of clarity referenced by snowball, it may well still be included. It wouldn’t make sense to omit it, given how short of a line it is.

Of course the former Great Central lines east of Manchester, including Guide Bridge - Stalybridge, were originally in the Eastern Region, having passed to the LNER, but Victoria - Stalybridge/Rochdale weren’t.

It was also the Eastern Region which pioneered the electrification of the Woodhead line, which again passed through Guide Bridge.
I thought Guide Bridge to Stalybridge was dropped from the wiring programme some time ago and is not part of the main Upgrade?

snowball

Established Member
As far as we can tell, yes. This map is supposed to show the state of the current piling project. The leftmost blue on the map is Victoria to Bromley Street (wired a couple of years ago) and the green is Bromley Street to Miles Platting (piling apparently completed). Newton Heath is marked in an unusual position.

This dashboard allows you to monitor trackside work that is taking place between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge, via Ashton. This work is overhead line equipment (OLE) piling, and has been taking place since Saturday 24 April 2021.