• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Spartacus

Established Member
Is that development south and west of where the resited Ravensthorpe will go?

Yeah, one big development closer to Ravensthorpe and a couple of smaller ones closer to Mirfield. It seems they've also concerns about the resited station being where they'd planned for a bridge over the river and railway to go too, which would inevitably be quite a structure.

I do wonder if they're aware of how many largely unmapped bell pits there used to be in the area before deep mining really took off, which will inevitably become a problem when the land comes to be built on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

billio

Yeah, one big development closer to Ravensthorpe and a couple of smaller ones closer to Mirfield. It seems they've also concerns about the resited station being where they'd planned for a bridge over the river and railway to go too, which would inevitably be quite a structure.

I do wonder if they're aware of how many largely unmapped bell pits there used to be in the area before deep mining really took off, which will inevitably become a problem when the land comes to be built on.
The Coal Authority provides information on all known mines, of course it is not necessarily 100% coverage. Older mines, such as bell pits, might not be covered. I would hope any planning authority would be aware of this information, for example :
Coal Authority Interactive Map .

YorksLad12

Established Member

The Coal Authority provides information on all known mines, of course it is not necessarily 100% coverage. Older mines, such as bell pits, might not be covered. I would hope any planning authority would be aware of this information, for example :
Low Moor Station.

Built on former mine workings and we had a map of them... then the contractors started work on one of the lift shafts and discovered an unmarked and unknown mine shaft the size of a 747 fuselage exactly where they wanted to build, because some workings predated the map. Sadly you can't simply repurpose it as a lift shaft...

But back to topic: it would be good if Kirklees or WYCA sat down with NR on this if they can fix the road issues, but the resited station is the best place for it by the looks of what we've been shown previously.

InOban

Established Member
AIR the Bolton electrification works also discovered many unmarked mine workings.

BrianW

Established Member
AIR the Bolton electrification works also discovered many unmarked mine workings.
And the Great Western electrification lots of wires and ducts and drains, demonstrating the value of full investigations before starting!

Spartacus

Established Member

I was speaking to an old surveyor who now works as an underground guide at the museum Caphouse Colliery, and with more than a nod a wink explained how workings could be made to subtly deviate from their official routes to pass under prohibited locations such as rivers or railways. Then, as others have said, there’s the many, many workings that go back long before official records, and the area’s crisscrossed with those, some of the local woods and fields were dotted with bell pits, with so many local deep pits it’s hard to believe now. That textiles took over seems to have diluted the memory of the extent of local mining, lots of it served by wagonways, worked by either horse, man, or steam ropeway, a surprising amount of which can still be traced.

CAF397

Noticed today there's about 7-8 piles next to the Up Huddersfield approaching Guide Bridge West Jn, and at least one next to the Down Main around the point work for the West Jn. Couldn't see the other side of the track.

nr758123

The Huddersfield Hub reports today that Kirklees Council have withdrawn their objection to the proposed TRU works between Huddersfield and Ravensthorpe. Link is https://huddersfieldhub.co.uk/kirkl...rails-1-5-billion-transpennine-route-upgrade/

Kirklees Council has officially withdrawn its objection to Network Rail’s £1.5 billion TransPennine Route Upgrade.

The council had previously expressed its support for the scheme which will see electrification of the line between Huddersfield and Westtown just outside Dewsbury, and also a massive internal modernisation of Huddersfield Railway Station.

However, the council was concerned that Network Rail wouldn’t fully explain or negotiate over the potential disruption that would be caused on road and rail and so lodged an official objection and a public inquiry was triggered.

The objection was only ever seen as a negotiating tactic to bring Network Rail officials round the table and the council has now withdrawn the objection and won’t take part in the inquiry, due to start on November 2 at the John Smith’s Stadium.

In a statement the council said: “The council closely examined the proposals from Network Rail and have worked collaboratively with them, and others, to fine tune the technical details and ensure disruption for residents during construction is minimised.

“The positive partnership that has been forged with Network Rail means that the council will be able to engage with them from now until the completion of the project, keeping the interests of Kirklees residents and businesses at the forefront of the process.

“Assurances have come in the form of three legally binding agreements with Network Rail to cover highways issues, arrangements around the sustained operation of the household waste recycling centres at Emerald Street in Huddersfield and Weaving Lane in Dewsbury during the construction process and secured financial contributions for replacement tree planting and long-term management of woodland areas post completion of the project.

“An agreed list of planning conditions will also be submitted into the inquiry process, to be considered by the planning inspector and be attached to the planning consent for the works and an agreed statement of common ground.”

SuperNova

One of the great issues that Kirklees Council probably didn't remotely consider was the role of the IRP within this. If, as expected, TRU then leads to a version of NPR via Huddersfield, they simply won't have all the answers.

Codville

PWI have posted a talk on the TRU, it mostly covers what we already know but does cover three things that we haven't seen much information on so far Stalybridge, Morley and Neville Hill.

Greybeard33

Established Member

PWI have posted a talk on the TRU, it mostly covers what we already know but does cover three things that we haven't seen much information on so far Stalybridge, Morley and Neville Hill.
At the same 5th October "Hit the North" conference, there was also this presentation on the interfaces between TRU, NPR and HS2, and the challenges they pose to the respective project teams.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Absolutely fantastic thanks for posting and the update.

A new footbridge and lifts are proposed for Batley!

Batley.jpg

I know its not part of the TRU programme but I was surprised that there was no mention or even a pointer of White Rose station.

Nor did East Garforth or four tracking East of Leeds feature on the 3D map!

All very interesting.

Last edited:

CAF397

I thought Batley was getting an additional platform in the Up direction, to aid passing local services? Unless that was an early plan superseded by TRU?

billio

Yes, but the map shows many areas with a high risk of near surface workings and this should be a warning that you need to research in detail or expect the unexpected.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I thought Batley was getting an additional platform in the Up direction, to aid passing local services? Unless that was an early plan superseded by TRU?
Not sure how official that plan ever was, though there would be some advantage to using the stretch between Batley viaduct and Morley tunnel for dynamic loops- particularly as the last plans I looked at showed the down loop at Dewsbury Station being removed and the platform being built out to meet the through line.

Halish Railway

Established Member

What I find interesting is at 10:13 - It mentions a Class 95, presumably a new type of locomotive that will haul the MK5s.

Here’s a question, if any popular model of electric locomotive was ordered, would the acceleration profile be almost the same as an 80x if it were hauling let’s say, 7 MK5s?

Starmill

Veteran Member
One of the great issues that Kirklees Council probably didn't remotely consider was the role of the IRP within this. If, as expected, TRU then leads to a version of NPR via Huddersfield, they simply won't have all the answers.
What would on earth can Kirklees Council d about HS2 & NPR phasing decisions? Absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Austriantrain

Established Member
Fast trains from Paris etc to the Riviera don't go in and out of Marseilles st Charles, the terminus, they cut the corner.

Not anymore, at least most of the time. Nowadays most TGVs stop at St Charles. Mind, apparently TGVs need 10-15 minutes to change direction, ICEs regularly do it in 4-5 in Frankfurt.

SuperNova

What would on earth can Kirklees Council d about HS2 & NPR phasing decisions? Absolutely nothing whatsoever.
The point still stands, they're demanding answers that aren't even available yet. If Network Rail can't provide the answers, it makes Kirklees Councils posturing pointless.

Mollman

Established Member
Not sure how official that plan ever was, though there would be some advantage to using the stretch between Batley viaduct and Morley tunnel for dynamic loops- particularly as the last plans I looked at showed the down loop at Dewsbury Station being removed and the platform being built out to meet the through line.
It appeared on official Network Rail stuff as far as I recall

plarailfan

I was always under the impression, that the class 88 locomotives were going to be working with the MK5, when the electrification is complete ?
Maybe the class 95 mentioned in the film, is a new development that they are looking at ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this thread is for TPE electrification (infrastructure) updates please. Thanks :)

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
York to CF's November 2021 tracker is now live. Piling works taking place all month in the Colton Jn area.

And here is our Graham with a quick reminder York to Church Fenton Improvement Scheme - Project Tracker – November 2021 (windows.net)

any progress on the piling work between stalybridge, miles platting and guide bridge?
Here is the link Manchester to Stalybridge - Network Rail - well it a Rail Replacement Buses this weekend but AFAIK it is not for piling — though it would not surprise me if they made use of the closure by doing some piling work.

Last edited: