• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

snowball

Established Member
There's a local information event tomorrow, Wednesday 18th, concerning the proposals for a road and bridge to replace Rose Lane level crossing (just SW of Church Fenton). An application for a TWAO will be submitted this summer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
Sorry, had a look on higher definition version of photo and the bush kept me guessing to.
No worries. Based on the
There's a local information event tomorrow, Wednesday 18th, concerning the proposals for a road and bridge to replace Rose Lane level crossing (just SW of Church Fenton). An application for a TWAO will be submitted this summer.

I wonder if the webpage will be updated to suit as well?
(Nothing yet on any of the other LCs between Leeds & York btw)

59CosG95

Established Member
Went through stalybridge on the train from leeds, noticed the masts up in the spots pictured, brewery junction to miles platting not been touched.
Thanks for the details @jonesy3001. Like with Ashton Moss, I suspect the junctions, tunnels and viaducts will be tackled towards the end.

Railuk.com have reported that Baguley Fold will be decommissioned over the Platinum Jubilee weekend. https://railuk.com/signalling-and-t...hester-to-be-overhauled-over-jubilee-weekend/
Network Rail will complete a major signalling overhaul in Manchester over the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday.

As part of a project to modernise journeys into the city, a 132-year-old signal box near Philips Park will be removed, with control of the signalling equipment moving to Manchester’s state-of-the-art rail operating centre.

As well as this upgrade, which will see 29 new signals installed, the wider project will also see Network Rail replace almost 4000 metres of track and secure over 2800 metres of train-powering electric cable, making the railway safe and reliable for years to come.

More than 450 engineers will work around the clock from Thursday 2 June, ready for the railway to reopen for passengers on Monday 6 June. People needing to travel between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge during this time should plan ahead and check their journey with National Rail Enquiries to keep their plans on track.

This is part of the multi-billion-pound Transpennine Route Upgrade which will bring faster, more reliable services for passengers travelling between York, Leeds, and Manchester.

The TRU Upgrade website also does it in a bit more operational detail:

Jubilee Bank Holiday Weekend – Thursday 2 June until Sunday 5 June​

Work continues to upgrade the railway in the Manchester area over the Jubilee Bank Holiday Weekend, which also sees Manchester Victoria station closed.
Thursday 2 June
  • Buses replace trains between Manchester Victoria, Ashton-under-Lyne and Stalybridge.
  • TransPennine Express services will be diverted to/from Manchester Piccadilly. Onward travel may require a change of train.
Friday 3 June until Sunday 5 June
No trains will run to/from Manchester Victoria on any route. Buses will replace trains between Manchester Victoria and…
  • Ashton-under-Lyne and Stalybridge
  • Rochdale
  • Salford Central.
TransPennine Express services will be diverted to/from Manchester Piccadilly. Onward travel may require a change of train.
Other service changes
  • On Friday 3 and Saturday 4 June, Manchester Victoria to Chester via Warrington Bank Quay and peak-time services between Liverpool Lime Street and Manchester Victoria will not run.
  • On Friday 3 June, there will be limited train services running in the Manchester area until 0700 due to signalling work. Please check your journey in advance.

Jubilee Bank Holiday Service Changes

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
And here's the press release:

Manchester to get 21st Century signalling overhaul over Queen’s Jubilee weekend​

Over the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday, Network Rail will complete a major signalling overhaul in Manchester to modernise journeys into the city.

A 132-year-old signal box near Philips Park will be removed, with control of the signalling equipment moving to Manchester’s state-of-the-art rail operating centre. Signals are like traffic lights for trains and bringing them into the 21st Century will help more trains to run on time between Manchester and Stalybridge.

As well as this colossal signalling upgrade, which will see 29 new signals installed, the wider project will also see Network Rail replace almost 4000m of track and secure over 2800m of train-powering electric cable. This will all mean that the railway remains safe and reliable for years to come.

More than 450 engineers will work around the clock from Thursday 2 June, ready for the railway to reopen for passengers on Monday 6 June. People needing to travel between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge during this time should plan ahead and check their journey with National Rail Enquiries to keep their plans on track.

This is part of the multi-billion-pound Transpennine Route Upgrade which will bring faster, more reliable services for passengers travelling between York, Leeds and Manchester.

Neil Holm, Transpennine Route Upgrade Director for Network Rail, said: “This major investment will unlock more reliable journeys for rail passengers in Manchester, as well as the potential for faster trains in the future.

“I know that people will be travelling across the country to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, so I’m sorry if our work impacts their plans. We’ve worked with our train operating partners to plan alternative routes and bus replacements to keep disruption to a minimum.”

Chris Nutton, Major Projects Director for TransPennine Express, said: “This is another key step for the rail industry towards delivering a railway fit for the 21st Century and the work over the Jubilee Bank Holiday will help deliver better reliability for our customers.

“Due to the major engineering work taking place, there will be a number of service alterations for TransPennine Express services. Our customers are advised to allow for additional time for journeys and to check carefully for the latest advice before they travel. Ongoing strike action by the RMT union will also affect services on Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 June, and we are urging people to avoid travelling on our services on those dates and to travel either side of the weekend instead.”

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

WesternBiker

29 signals hardly merits the use of the adjective colossal. That should be reserved for the likes of Piccadilly being resignalled.
Reading the press release, the use of "colossal" really is amateur. I can't think of another press release (and I have seen a lot) that has ever used it. Reflects really badly on NR.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Reading the press release, the use of "colossal" really is amateur. I can't think of another press release (and I have seen a lot) that has ever used it. Reflects really badly on NR.
Indeed but the quality of NRs press releases have been getting over hyped for too long. Always telling us about more reliable and fast journeys which rarely materialise following the works.

I think the problem nowadays is that some people don't re-read what has been typed, written or dictated before they hit the send or return button. It's quite noticeable in the local press and such like that material is simply copied and pasted in straight off Twitter etc.

vic-rijrode

I think the problem nowadays is that some people don't re-read what has been typed, written or dictated before they hit the send or return button. It's quite noticeable in the local press and such like that material is simply copied and pasted in straight off Twitter etc.
I must have written a million letters to the local press telling them not to exaggerate.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Here's a video from my trip to manchester between bromley junction and stalybridge junction today, looking at the masts.
Don't think there's been much progress.

childwallblues

Established Member
At least it is something positive. How far down the Phillips Park line does Baguley Fold Signal Box control?

hwl

Established Member
How far down the Phillips Park line does Baguley Fold Signal Box control?
Only the immediate junction, the rest of the "triangle" and line is already controlled by the ROC. The box also controls ~1mile to the east of the Jn and the right hand top half of the triangle.

This suggests that few ROC controlled signals are being replaced presumably with low footprint LED units as else where to help with clearances.

childwallblues

Established Member
Only the immediate junction, the rest of the "triangle" and line is already controlled by the ROC. The box also controls ~1mile to the east of the Jn and the right hand top half of the triangle.

This suggests that few ROC controlled signals are being replaced presumably with low footprint LED units as else where to help with clearan
Thanks for the information. As you suggest looks like the whole line back to Ashburys is being re-signalled.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks for the information. As you suggest looks like the whole line back to Ashburys is being re-signalled.
Philips Park West-Ashburys has all already been resignalled - it's literally just Baguley Fold Jn itself which is now controlled by the box. Ironically you start off under the control of Manchester North, which is located at the ROC in Ashburys, and then as you approach Ashburys you transition to Manchester East, which is located just south of Stockport.

59CosG95

Established Member
June 2022 tracker for York - Church Fenton is up now.
Big ticket works include the finishing works to demolish the old buildings at Ulleskelf, which are due to take place for the first two weeks of Midweek nights after Liz's 70-year bash.

Here's a video from my trip to manchester between bromley junction and stalybridge junction today, looking at the masts.
Don't think there's been much progress.

I'd say there's been quite a bit of sporadic progress, especially east of Richmond St (OB 18) and between the M60 & Clayton Viaduct. Do you know when you're next passing along that route? It would be good to see the progress on the Up side of the tracks as well.

Attachments

• 20.-June-2022-York-to-Church-Fenton-monthly-project-tracker-.pdf
    198.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

jonesy3001

Established Member
June 2022 tracker for York - Church Fenton is up now.
Big ticket works include the finishing works to demolish the old buildings at Ulleskelf, which are due to take place for the first two weeks of Midweek nights after Liz's 70-year bash.

I'd say there's been quite a bit of sporadic progress, especially east of Richmond St (OB 18) and between the M60 & Clayton Viaduct. Do you know when you're next passing along that route? It would be good to see the progress on the Up side of the tracks as well.
Could be a while til I'm back down the manchester way.

59CosG95

Established Member

59CosG95

Established Member
From the TRU LinkedIn page:
Over the Jubilee Weekend, the TRU West Alliance Team have been busy carrying out their first signalling commissioning between Manchester Victoria and Bagley Fold. The improvements made will see line speed improvements across the route, bringing a transformed Transpennine Route between Manchester and York one stage closer for passengers.

Highlights of improvements:

- Realignment of Miles Platting Curve to remove the 30mph dip in line-speed.
- Nearly 4km of Track Renewal
- 28 New Signals Installed
- 5 Switches and Crossings Renewed/Refurbished

All the work was completed safely and to schedule.

Phil Millington, TRU West Alliance Director, said: “Our thanks go out to all the staff who gave up their bank holiday weekend, but also not forgetting our thanks to all those who have contributed over the last few months. This is a significant milestone for the TRU Programme.”

#TranspennineRouteUpgrade #Signalling #Commission #TRU #JubileeWeekend #TeamWork #Railway
No alternative text description for this image

I'm trying to place where the two of the new signals above have gone e.g. which signals have replaced which. MN 4308 (edit: this has replaced BF 18) & MN 833 are the head-scratchers at the moment.
The old Baguley Fold signals are underlined in red as per the diagram below:
Bag Fold resignal.PNG

Last edited:

Shwam3

From the TRU LinkedIn page:

I'm trying to place where the two of the new signals above have gone e.g. which signals have replaced which. MN 4308 (edit: this has replaced BF 18) & MN 833 are the head-scratchers at the moment.
MN833 is a distant signal on the approach to MN835, not shown on the OTT diagram. The replacement (as shown in the picture) has been placed 145m further from MN835 than previously.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm trying to place where the two of the new signals above have gone e.g. which signals have replaced which. MN 4308 & MN 833 are the head-scratchers at the moment.
The old Baguley Fold signals are underlined in red as per the diagram below:
MN4308 replaces BF18 and MN833 is a new distant signal for BF30's replacement, MN835, from what I can tell.

Edit:

The upgrade works have also resulted in higher linespeeds being commissioned (following the realignment which occurred last summer) between Philips Park West Jn and Manchester Victoria, on the Down/Up Rochdale Slow lines.

Speeds are now 30/55 in the Up direction between 1m45ch and 0m39ch, and 50/55 in the Down direction between 0m21ch and 1m45ch. The Slow lines are therefore now faster than the Fast lines between Manchester Victoria and Miles Platting :D

Last edited:

sjm77

Speeds are now 30/55 in the Up direction between 1m45ch and 0m39ch, and 50/55 in the Down direction between 0m21ch and 1m45ch. The Slow lines are therefore now faster than the Fast lines between Manchester Victoria and Miles Platting :D
Maybe the Up/Down Ashton terminology used beyond Miles Platting should be extended down to Victoria, afterall services are normaly paired by direction not speed

CAF397

Not seen this mentioned. First catenary and contact wires up between Church Fenton and Colton South Jn.

Down Leeds from the start of the portals at Church Fenton to just past Ulleskelf Station.

Down Normanton from the start of the portals at Church Fenton to half way towards Ulleskelf Station.

Both Down Leeds and Down Normanton also have a wired connection to the existing OLE at Colton South Jn, of a few structures worth.

Nothing on the Up Leeds or Up Normanton yet.

snowball

Established Member
Great news, thank you!

I wonder when we'll get a decision on Hudds to Westtown. I hope it's before Parliament breaks up for the summer on 21 July, now only six weeks away. But ministers have a lot to distract them at present, fighting over Johnson.