• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Greybeard33

Established Member
The guide bridge lines shouldn’t need bridges lifting. It was wired in the 50’s with the 1500v dc overheads.
As I pointed out upthread,
There are two old arch bridges over the Stalybridge to Guide Bridge line. I don't know if they would need raising/replacing, but they only carry footways not motor roads.

These bridges are beyond the limit of the old 1500V DC wires, which used to extend part way from Guide Bridge towards Stalybridge.
The 1500V DC wiring did not go all the way to Stalybridge. It was just to provide a headshunt for the Guide Bridge freight yards.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Efini92

Established Member
Apologies I hadn’t seen your responses. I always thought the wires ran up to the atochem siding.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
The RTM is reporting that the lines to the East of Manchester Victoria towards Rochdale & Stalybridge will be closed for 16-days from the 31st of July until the 16th of August 2021 to replace track and upgrade bridges.

https://www.railtechnologymagazine....des incoming for Greater Manchester and York'
The work will form as one part of the jigsaw within TRU’s wider goal to deliver sought-after improvements along the full 76-mile Transpennine route, stretching from York to Manchester, via Leeds and Huddersfield.

It will take place east of Manchester Victoria station, closing the lines towards Stalybridge and Rochdale, with a 16-day railway closure between these destinations from the 31st of July until the 16th of August 2021.

Throughout the 16-day closure, hundreds of railway workers will be working around the clock to renew key sections of track, including around Miles Platting, and upgrading railway bridges to improve reliability.

Last edited by a moderator:

snowball

Established Member
Are they realigning the curve?
Yes, they are building or have built a new bridge over Queens Road to realign the curve for higher speed. The realignment is fairly modest so a new bridge over Oldham Road is not required.

Efini92

Established Member
I saw a document when it was first announced that showed miles platting as 60 mph

Greybeard33

Established Member
Apologies I hadn’t seen your responses. I always thought the wires ran up to the atochem siding.
Most of the old OLE structures on the Guide Bridge to Stalybridge line have now been demolished, but can still be seen on Google Earth historic imagery dated May 2019. The mast that terminated the wires was just north of the bridge over Cavendish Street (A627). About halfway between Guide Bridge and Stalybridge.

Thomas6187

The RTM is reporting that the lines to the East of Manchester Victoria towards Rochdale & Stalybridge will be closed for 16-days from the 31st of July until the 16th of August 2021 to replace track and upgrade bridges.

Also means that for those 16 days that Newton Heath going to directly cut off from Manchester.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Also means that for those 16 days that Newton Heath going to directly cut off from Manchester.
A pity that the crossover between the Metrolink and heavy rail lines at Victoria was not reinstated after the Victoria remodelling. There is still a Metrolink connection at the east end of the Dean Lane binliner siding, which also has a connection to Newton Heath, so it might have been possible to make overnight stock movements via the Metrolink line! ;)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm sure they will have thought about that. Newton Heath has several ways in and out, and I'd imagine at least one route will remain open throughout.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
A pity that the crossover between the Metrolink and heavy rail lines at Victoria was not reinstated after the Victoria remodelling. There is still a Metrolink connection at the east end of the Dean Lane binliner siding, which also has a connection to Newton Heath, so it might have been possible to make overnight stock movements via the Metrolink line! ;)

I think the overhead wire clearance in Collyhurst tunnel prevents that, and the different signalling.

Though I don't think you're being entirely serious... :)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'm sure they will have thought about that. Newton Heath has several ways in and out, and I'd imagine at least one route will remain open throughout.
They should have the foresight (or should that be the Longsight?) to deal with that.

I'd expect the other curve at Miles Platting to remain open, allowing a convoluted access to Victoria via Ashburys, across the Piccadilly throat and round the Ordsall Curve - probably only for use at very quiet times. Many of the trains normally starting and ending at Victoria will do so at Rochdale or Stalybridge (or possibly closer in stations on those lines) instead.

snowball

Established Member
Tony_H1 posted this on Skyscrapercity yesterday:

From an internal email today

Good to see things are still slowly going on behind the scenes

"As part of the early works, Network Rail have today announced a 16 day blockade of the lines
between Rochdale/Stalybridge and Manchester Victoria to take place in the summer. The works,
which will also see four bridges replaced along with easing the curved track close to Miles Platting,
unfortunately will affect our empty stock movements with access restricted to/from Newton Heath.

We are currently developing alternative stabling/servicing locations to ensure that we can keep all other
services operating. We are working on a more detailed customer response but buses will replace
trains between Rochdale / Stalybridge and Manchester Victoria from 31 July for 16 days until the end
of 15 August"

I wonder where the four bridges are. Queens Road plus three others?

---------------------------

According to this, Miles Platting is in the Eastern Region:

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
I've seen a planning application (somebody posted a link on SSC some time ago). It only showed one new bridge over Queens Road, alongside the existing bridge, and no replacement of existing bridges over Queens Road or Oldham Road. But maybe bridge replacement could be done under permitted development rights, so perhaps would not need to be shown?

Last edited:

Greybeard33

Established Member
I think the overhead wire clearance in Collyhurst tunnel prevents that, and the different signalling.

Though I don't think you're being entirely serious... :)
I think OHL clearance would be ok, because the trams are the same height as heavy rail stock. But gauge clearance through Collyhurst tunnel might well be an issue - it is very tight, and curved, and the old heavy rail stock on the Bury line had short carriages with less overthrow than modern units. Also Metrolink platforms have less lateral clearance than the NR lower sector structure gauge requirement. Although there have been heavy rail engineering trains on Metrolink metals in the past - even an ELR steam engine on one occasion!

But no, not meant as a serious suggestion. :D

rail66

There is only 1 bridge being done on queens road. support bases & concrete are going in shortly, part of the current bridge will be taken down and new bridge in place around august, then its final works, track alignment, landscaping etc then handed back to network rail, probably end of 2021. work is progressing at speed onsite.
there is no bridge replacement on oldham road, planning would be needed for that and its not needed to flatten out the curve. large section of the current compound (where you can see the staff parking/office area) will be handed back to manchester council, with net rail having a small compound onsite near the new queens road bridge. signs outside site show the 2 road closures that is being used to prep the bridge and then fit the bridge on the second closure.

Greybeard33

Established Member
I'd expect the other curve at Miles Platting to remain open, allowing a convoluted access to Victoria via Ashburys, across the Piccadilly throat and round the Ordsall Curve - probably only for use at very quiet times. Many of the trains normally starting and ending at Victoria will do so at Rochdale or Stalybridge (or possibly closer in stations on those lines) instead.
According to the diagram in the above video, the work includes realignment of Phillips Park West Junction. So the only possible route for stock moves from Newton Heath might be to Todmorden, then Burnley - Blackburn - Bolton, or Brighouse - Huddersfield - Guide Bridge!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
According to the diagram in the above video, the work includes realignment of Phillips Park West Junction. So the only possible route for stock moves from Newton Heath might be to Todmorden, then Burnley - Blackburn - Bolton, or Brighouse - Huddersfield - Guide Bridge!
I wouldn't rule out the former, the latter is probably more unlikely purely for route knowledge reasons.

rail66

There is only 1 bridge being done on queens road. support bases & concrete are going in shortly, part of the current bridge will be taken down and new bridge in place around august, then its final works, track alignment, landscaping etc then handed back to network rail, probably end of 2021. work is progressing at speed onsite.
there is no bridge replacement on oldham road, planning would be needed for that and its not needed to flatten out the curve. large section of the current compound (where you can see the staff parking/office area) will be handed back to manchester council, with net rail having a small compound onsite near the new queens road bridge. signs outside site show the 2 road closures that is being used to prep the bridge and then fit the bridge on the second closure.

Attachments

• bridge.JPG
    bridge.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 127

snowball

Established Member
Worth bumping this up-thread again in the wake of the announcement.

Thanks for that, I missed it first time round.

I think some of the 4 bridges are still unaccounted for, but the closure is some months away, so we'll probably find out nearer the time.

59CosG95

Established Member
Perhaps some of the bridges further east towards Stalybridge?

M60lad

According to Network Rail site (https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...nine-route-upgrade/manchester-to-stalybridge/) it says the following:

The railway bridges that will be upgraded are Dantzic Street in Manchester city centre, Queens Road in Miles Platting, Bromley Street subway and Oldham Road.

As for finding the above content, I only managed to find it thanks to a friend of mine on twitter as for some reason the link doesn't show up on the website

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
According to Network Rail site it says the following:

The railway bridges that will be upgraded are Dantzic Street in Manchester city centre, Queens Road in Miles Platting, Bromley Street subway and Oldham Road.

Thanks. M60lad seems to have found this page on the NR site. Either this content wasn't there when I last looked, or I missed it.

This summer work will begin to improve the railway between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge/Rochdale as part of the Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU)

Planned work

Key rail infrastructure in Greater Manchester will be upgraded this summer as part of the Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) vision to deliver more frequent, more reliable and faster train services between Northern towns and cities.
The work will take place east of Manchester Victoria station, closing the lines towards Stalybridge and Rochdale, with a 16-day railway closure between these destinations from the 31 July and 15 August 2021. The lines will reopen on Monday 16 August.
Despite the 16-day closure, direct train travel between Manchester and Leeds will still be possible but with trains departing/arriving via Manchester Piccadilly instead of Manchester Victoria station.

Why does the railway need to close?

During the 16-day closure hundreds of railway workers will be working day and night to renew key sections of track and upgrade several railway bridges to improve reliability. This important work is the first step to enable wider improvements that are expected to bring much needed benefits to passengers.
The work forms part of TRU’s wider goal to deliver sought-after improvements along the full 76-mile Transpennine route – stretching from York to Manchester, via Leeds and Huddersfield.
The need to close the railway for 16-days is to provide enough time to refurbish and strengthen Dantzic Street underbridge in Manchester city centre, which has to be constructed from 38 sections due to surrounding constraints. This methodology has been presented and agreed with industry partners as the most appropriate construction method to allow safe and efficient construction in the quickest timeframe possible.

Benefits

Once the bridges are reconstructed this will contribute to allowing for increased weight loading and creates the potential for a higher frequency of trains to run
over them. The railway bridges that will be upgraded are Dantzic Street in Manchester city centre, Queens Road in Miles Platting, Bromley Street subway and Oldham Road.
The track renewal work will focus on the section of line at Miles Platting and will help improve train reliability.

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
Someone helpfully posted a link to a video earlier in the thread. The two bridges at Dantzic St and Bromley St the rails are both supported on wooden beams that need to be replaced