• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

delticdave

There's a feature on TRU in the February Modern Railways. Mostly stuff that attentive readers of this thread will know. However, all the sections between Huddersfield and Church Fenton should be under construction by the end of this year, leaving only Stalybridge-Standedge-Huddersfield to start in later years (not specified exactly when).

Standedge will get track lowering (as previously mentioned) and slab track.

Also there's this press release on the upcoming Stalybridge closure:

According to the MR piece, actual wiring will take place after the blockade rather than during it.
I've just read the MR piece & there's a short statement on page 57, in the "TRU: Route-Wide Benefits" column, stating that, "Improvement of capacity at Manchester Victoria by extending electric local services to Stalybridge & Guide Bridge." Does this translate that the line between Stalybridge & Guide Bridge will be electrified?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jonesy3001

Established Member
I've just read the MR piece & there's a short statement on page 57, in the "TRU: Route-Wide Benefits" column, stating that, "Improvement of capacity at Manchester Victoria by extending electric local services to Stalybridge & Guide Bridge." Does this translate that the line between Stalybridge & Guide Bridge will be electrified?
Both lines are being done.

snowball

Established Member
And another press release

The largest rail project in the North of England, the Transpennine Route Upgrade between Manchester and York, has announced Neil Holm as its Managing Director.

Neil Holm, Managing Director of the Transpennine Route Upgrade, said: “There is an exciting future for rail in the North of England, and I am proud to lead a programme of thousands of brilliant people that will transform rail travel across the North in the coming years.

"Work is well underway across the route spanning 70 miles between Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and York. We’ve already delivered key upgrades across the route and have a big year ahead, including the ongoing construction of a new station at Morley, upcoming major works at Stalybridge beginning in March, and several other major steps in our plans throughout 2023. I look forward to the challenge of delivering the many benefits of the Transpennine Route Upgrade for the millions of people that live along the line.”

The multi-billion-pound Transpennine Route Upgrade will bring faster, cleaner and more reliable trains along one of the country’s key rail arteries, transforming journeys for millions of passengers across the North. Core benefits of the upgrade include the electrification of the 70-mile route for greener trains, a fully digital signalling system and doubling tracks to enable more frequent, faster trains and station upgrades to accommodate longer trains and greater accessibility.

Before joining the Transpennine Route Upgrade, Neil was programme director for HMS Prince of Wales Aircraft Carrier, where he was responsible for leading the carrier through assembly, commissioning and sea trials to final delivery with the Royal Navy. Prior to this he was head of programme for HMS Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier. Neil spent his early career in Military Aerospace after graduating from the University of Cambridge with a post-graduate degree in Design, Manufacture and Management and undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering from Strathclyde University.

Neil Holm added: “I hold a lifelong passion for engineering and guiding ambitious visions from concept to completion. I am excited to bring my expertise and experience to help deliver a better future for rail in the North of England.”

Neil has held the position of Programme Director of Transpennine Route Upgrade since January 2021.

Grumpy

A bit worrying that the MR piece implies that the Huddersfield-Dewsbury section is still not funded, despite having its TWA order approved.
I thought Grant Shapps had signed that off both in the NRP and in the £11 billion funding tranche he announced last year.
Hopefully it's just an administrative matter.
Hopefully someone has been asked to take a sharp pencil to some of the work proposed

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
A bit worrying that the MR piece implies that the Huddersfield-Dewsbury section is still not funded, despite having its TWA order approved.
I thought Grant Shapps had signed that off both in the NRP and in the £11 billion funding tranche he announced last year.
Hopefully it's just an administrative matter.
Huw Merriman implied at last weeks Transport Select Committee that difficult choices would have to be made over capital programmes but suspect that will be projects not yet commenced. The other issue is cash values haven't been uplifted by inflation so given HS2 is absorbing a big chunk of it on what is a committed programme it means what is left is going to have to be jam spread. However, you don't want to destroy the efficiency of works by restricting funding so maybe better to hold back for a period so they can just get on with it in one go.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure why a local service from Stalybridge to Manchester Piccadily via Guide Bridge is useful unless it's routed to Oxford Road & beyond....
An increase in frequency from the stations between Guide Bridge and Ashburys? Something that wouldn't have been possible when all TPE fasts were routed that way.

Halish Railway

Established Member
An increase in frequency from the stations between Guide Bridge and Ashburys? Something that wouldn't have been possible when all TPE fasts were routed that way.
Or to take the Fairfield and Gorton stops out of the Manchester Piccadilly to Rose Hill Marple services. It's a bit odd that two electrified stations receive a service provided by diesel multiple units, especially considering that when heading towards Guide Bridge the uphill gradient is quite severe (1 in 100?). It could also help ease overcrowding on these routes which seem to have gone from being worked by a mix of pairs of 150s and a single 195/1 to a single 150.

On the comment upthread that work on all tranches of electrification and route upgrade will begin this year (vice Stalybridge to Huddersfield), can it be taken that all of the design work is completed? I.e. determining future linespeed increases, positions of OHLE masts, the design of reconstructed and newly constructed overbridges and track remodelling?

_toommm_

Established Member
It's a bit odd that two electrified stations receive a service provided by diesel multiple units, especially considering that when heading towards Guide Bridge the uphill gradient is quite severe (1 in 100?). It could also help ease overcrowding on these routes which seem to have gone from being worked by a mix of pairs of 150s and a single 195/1 to a single 150.

To be fair, the Rose Hills are always pretty quiet compared to the Hadfields. I swear there used to be extra trains in the evening peak towards Hadfield.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure why a local service from Stalybridge to Manchester Piccadily via Guide Bridge is useful unless it's routed to Oxford Road & beyond....
It will probably be used, as it is now, for some services beyond Stalybridge to continue into Piccadilly, providing connections to the airport and elsewhere.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
can it be taken that all of the design work is completed?

No - some detailed design is not completed till a few weeks before delivery.

However outline design for the works starting this year will be done (or nearly done) and had interdisciplinary checks.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It will probably be used, as it is now, for some services beyond Stalybridge to continue into Piccadilly, providing connections to the airport and elsewhere.
In which case, bi-modes will be needed. Full wiring is maybe up to a decade away.
The MR piece links Victoria-Stalybridge electric services from Dec 2024 with the arrival of more 323s from WMT.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a gentle reminder that discussion in this thread should be confined to reporting updates on progress on the TPE upgrade and electrification scheme.

thanks

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
In which case, bi-modes will be needed. Full wiring is maybe up to a decade away.
The MR piece links Victoria-Stalybridge electric services from Dec 2024 with the arrival of more 323s from WMT.
only another two years for little benefit. WCML Weaver Jcn to Motherwell was electrified in 2 1/2 years and along with three super sized PSB (Preston, Carlisle, Motherwell)

Class 170101

Established Member
only another two years for little benefit. WCML Weaver Jcn to Motherwell was electrified in 2 1/2 years and along with three super sized PSB (Preston, Carlisle, Motherwell)
Unfortunately Health and Safety has seen to that and the methods used to wire the GEML between London and Shenfield / Southend were somewhat different in the Weaver Jn to Motherwell Wiring to which you refer which themseles are different again from the methods employed today.

I would argue why not a series of blockades over the next couple of years and do the lot rather than what currently looks like a lot of weekend closures with a few blockades thrown in.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Unfortunately Health and Safety has seen to that and the methods used to wire the GEML between London and Shenfield / Southend were somewhat different in the Weaver Jn to Motherwell Wiring to which you refer which themseles are different again from the methods employed today.

I would argue why not a series of blockades over the next couple of years and do the lot rather than what currently looks like a lot of weekend closures with a few blockades thrown in.
For sure but they didn't have the benefit of all the plant that is now available to todays installers. The plain fact is it was 190 route miles that was wired up in 2 1/2 years. Victoria to Stalylbridge is 8 1/2 miles and is substantially less complicated so its not difficult to examine your navel and work out why NR can't make electrification competitive.

Where i would agree with you is that blockades should be used and its pretty farcical that Staylbridge is going to be shut for 23 days yet apparently its not going to be wired at the same time. I won't even go to the fact is was heavily remodelled less than 10 years ago yet has to be revamped again. I do hope the rest of the wiring is completed upto Stalybridge but why does it then need a further 21mths before its ready??

Halish Railway

Established Member
Where i would agree with you is that blockades should be used and its pretty farcical that Staylbridge is going to be shut for 23 days yet apparently its not going to be wired at the same time. I won't even go to the fact is was heavily remodelled less than 10 years ago yet has to be revamped again. I do hope the rest of the wiring is completed upto Stalybridge but why does it then need a further 21mths before its ready??
I'm not sure if a completion date for Manchester Victoria / Guide Bridge to Stalybridge electrification has been quoted anywhere; The suggestion is that the half-hourly Wigan North Western to Stalybridge Class 323 worked service will begin in either May or December of 2024 which requires the completion of electrification from Lostock Junction to Wigan Northwestern, as well as a timetable re-write and driver training. I'd imagine that Northern's Class 769s might be able to make use of electrification to Stalybridge in the meantime until the new 323 worked service is introduced.

CAF397

The previous remodelling of Stalybridge was to make the higher speed preference for Guide Bridge (50mph), as at the time the Transpennine trains ran that way, and there were no plans to change that.

Since then, the priority route changed for Transpennine services to via Ashton, resulting in a slower 25mph (up) and 35mph (down).

Now, both Guide Bridge and Ashton routes will have equal 50mph priority.

Foggycorner

I was out on the train yesterday and noted that there is OH contact wire now from the old victoria end all the way to just past the level crossing at Clayton bridge and also noted a section with just new catenary wire with droppers on the way to ashton so progress is being made

evotista

I'm not sure if a completion date for Manchester Victoria / Guide Bridge to Stalybridge electrification has been quoted anywhere; The suggestion is that the half-hourly Wigan North Western to Stalybridge Class 323 worked service will begin in either May or December of 2024 which requires the completion of electrification from Lostock Junction to Wigan Northwestern, as well as a timetable re-write and driver training. I'd imagine that Northern's Class 769s might be able to make use of electrification to Stalybridge in the meantime until the new 323 worked service is introduced.
Just adding to the conversation in relation to the MR article about TRU progress and dates.

Interestingly later in the article it says EMU local services will run from Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge in 'late 2024' ... so I can only suppose it's unlikely we'll see 323s in operation by May 2024.

Shortly after that in the article it says the four tracking between Huddersfield and Ravensthorpe (project W3) being commissioned and electric wires between Huddersfield and Leeds going live (Project W4) will be in the 'early 2030s' ... this date being so far off in the future surprised me ... given that I would have imagined work on the ground would be starting come next year (2024) and even though I know it's 12 Km of a worksite for Huddersfield to Ravensthorpe and is a significant undertaking but taking 6 plus years to achieve completion seems a hell of a long duration!

What's not clear to me in the article is which Project package is next in line to actually commence with "spades in the ground" beyond of Stalybridge remodelling (Project W2a) occuring in March to April this year? If Stalybridge to Marsden (Project W2B) and Marsden to Huddersfield (Project W2C) are behind the Ravensthorpe section work then does that mean work on those won't commence until the early 2030s? ....

It'll be great when it's done and with bi-modes the benefits will I'm sure be incremental but it's only really dawned on me with this article how long it really is going to take to realise it all.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Hud-Rav involves significant land purchase and new construction, much like HS2.
It's also a very messy and complex section, plus the Huddersfield rebuild.
But at least it is designed and the TWA is approved.
Staley-Marsden seems still to be in the initial design phase, but some realignments are envisaged it seems, so more land purchase.
While Standedge isn't seen as a particular problem, Staley and Scout tunnels are more difficult, being on curves.
Marsden-Hud seems further advanced, with a third track part of the plan.
That section is essentially two separate routes, so a 3-track design might be complicated - the current route swings from one side of the old 4-track layout to the other.
They also have to consider the future tie-in at Marsden with the new NPR route to the west.
But I expect both hill sections will need major work on bridges.

Another morsel was that ETCS is only envisaged from east of Stalybridge eastwards, ie the area which will come under York ROC.
So no magic signalling in the Manchester area (to improve Castlefield), which was once pushed by Mr Grayling.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Couple of questions regarding timescales and design:
- When will the Neville Hill area remodelling and reconstruction be complete?
- When will Leeds to York be completely electrified?
- Will any further track layout / linespeed changes occur at or in the vicinity of Leeds station?
- Will the over bridge at Church Fenton be reconstructed to remove the pillar between the Down Leeds (Platform 4) and the Up Leeds (Through line), facilitating the easing of curve to the south of the station on the Up Leeds?

snowball

Established Member
Shortly after that in the article it says the four tracking between Huddersfield and Ravensthorpe (project W3) being commissioned and electric wires between Huddersfield and Leeds going live (Project W4) will be in the 'early 2030s' ... this date being so far off in the future surprised me ... given that I would have imagined work on the ground would be starting come next year (2024) and even though I know it's 12 Km of a worksite for Huddersfield to Ravensthorpe and is a significant undertaking but taking 6 plus years to achieve completion seems a hell of a long duration!

Somewhere upthread there was a discussion of a spending profile for that project published with the application for the order. If I remember correctly its last year of spend was 2029-30, the first FY of CP8. The spend for that year was relatively small so I imagine it would be tidying up, so it may be most of the works would be finished around spring 2029.

quantinghome

Established Member
Hud-Rav involves significant land purchase and new construction, much like HS2.
There's some land purchase but it's not that much - is it any more than at the junctions?

It's also a very messy and complex section, plus the Huddersfield rebuild.
But at least it is designed and the TWA is approved.
The complex bits are the junctions - the rest is 4-tracking sections which were previously 4-track. Are there any equivalent projects to use as a comparison? Maybe these:

Norton Bridge junction remodelling was £250m and took 2-3 years to build.
Werrington dive-under was £200m and took 3 years from approval to opening.

Going further back the Trent Valley four-tracking scheme was 12 miles long and cost £350m (15 years ago so whack that up a fair bit) and took about 4 years.

The whole thing feels rather drawn out.