• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

AndrewE

Established Member
Three pictures from Huddersfield today. First one showing longitudinal timber baulks between platforms 1 &4.

Second shows yellow spray painted line from end of platform 6 to beginning of platform 1. Line actually extends beyond platform 8 to boundary road ght across all tracks. It looks like where the existing platforms etc will eventually be cut off to remodel Leeds end throat.
Maybe temporary foundations for something?
A decade (or so) ago there were major on-platform works at Stockport. During the week an area was filled with stacked expanded polystyrene blocks about 1m x 1.5m x 2 m. I think they were laid across the tracks during weekend posessions so that plant could drive from platfrm to platform...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matacaster

On Moderation
A decade (or so) ago there were major on-platform works at Stockport. During the week an area was filled with stacked expanded polystyrene blocks about 1m x 1.5m x 2 m. I think they were laid across the tracks during weekend posessions so that plant could drive from platfrm to platform...
Ta!

Nottingham59

Established Member
I understand they use polystyrene blocks to construct platforms now.
It seems an unlikely material to use for station platforms, but, actually, it’s a good choice – easy to install and simple to modify.

59CosG95

Established Member
LinkedIn update from The Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) horse's mouth - looks as if mining remediation at Huddersfield is now complete (at least the first phase of it!)
The Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) on LinkedIn said:
‍♀️Over the last few months, our team of over 70 strong engineers have been completing extensive mining mitigation work in Huddersfield.

Last weekend was the final part of our phase one mining mitigation programme at the station.

We’ve been probing, treating, and infilling voids within old coal seams and assets, deep below ground, in preparation for the major route and station upgrades that will follow in the New Year.

Our programme of improvements for Huddersfield will see twice as many tracks installed and major station upgrades.

Extra tracks, better stations and a fully electrified route across the Pennines will ultimately deliver more frequent, faster journeys between York and Manchester, running on a greener, more reliable railway.
Image preview

AndrewE

Established Member
Over the last few months, our team of over 70 strong engineers have been completing extensive mining mitigation work in Huddersfield.
Good to hear that NR's engineers are strong, but it's a pity NR's press team can't write decent English.
I was wondering how many weak ones they had supporting them...

SuperNova

Roof work set to start at the station.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

Major engineering works are set to commence over the next two weekends as improvements are brought to the power supply between Leeds and Neville Hill, as well as track upgrades at Church Fenton.

These developments are part of the multi-billion-pound Transpennine Route Upgrade which has already brought newly reinforced railway line through Castleford, and it’ll be that same line that means passengers can continue moving by train whilst improvements are carried out between Leeds and Neville Hill.

Over the course of the two weekends, teams will install 3 kilometres of high voltage cables alongside the railway between Leeds and Neville Hill, which will provide the power for the future electrification of the Transpennine Route east of Leeds planned for later this decade.

Meanwhile, Church Fenton engineers will completely renew a 1.5 kilometre stretch of railway, including the ballast stones and sleepers the tracks sit on.

These improvements will enable faster, quieter, greener and more frequent trains on this key line, linking the cities of York, Leeds and Manchester more efficiently than ever.

Passengers can keep their plans on track whilst these upgrades are implemented – trains between Leeds and York, as well as Leeds and Hull can continue to run via the Castleford route whilst the main line is closed.

The following routes will be affected on the following dates:

On Saturdays 28th October & 4th November, direct trains between Leeds and York will be diverted and stopping services will run between Leeds and Selby instead.
Replacement buses will run between Micklefield and York

On Sundays 29th October & 5th November, trains between Leeds and York will be diverted
Trains between Leeds, Selby and Hull will also be diverted
Replacement buses will serve all stations between Leeds and York
Replacement buses will also serve all stations between Leeds and Selby

Passengers planning to use the train should check before they travel via National Rail Enquiries or their train operator for the latest updates.

The past two years have seen an alternative route via Castleford undergo major work, and the benefits of this upgrade are coming to fruition as the line continues to serve as a vital diversion route able to carry an additional two trains per hour.

Is this another 25kV extension lead?

59CosG95

Established Member
Press release

Is this another 25kV extension lead?
My thoughts too - a quick scan of Google Maps shows that Skelton Grange 275kV Substation is about 1.5km (as the crow flies) away from Neville Hill.

59CosG95

Established Member
Also, I can't remember if I've ever put the Planning Applications in for TRU East of Leeds, but I've found the following:
I couldn't find anything on North Yorkshire Council's website (in the former Selby district area) for works pertaining to TRU.

snowball

Established Member
My thoughts too - a quick scan of Google Maps shows that Skelton Grange 275kV Substation is about 1.5km (as the crow flies) away from Neville Hill.
I think the actual feed from the grid for the Leeds area is at East Ardsley on the Wakefield line. And a new feed at Hambleton and a proposed one (with SFC) at Ravensthorpe. I would not have thought there would be any other proposed grid feeds within 20 miles.

66C

Three pictures from Huddersfield today. First one showing longitudinal timber baulks between platforms 1 &4.

Second shows yellow spray painted line from end of platform 6 to beginning of platform 1. Line actually extends beyond platform 8 to boundary road ght across all tracks. It looks like where the existing platforms etc will eventually be cut off to remodel Leeds end throat.

Third shows strange vehicle in proposed car park beyond platform 8. Anyone know what it is?

NR Man seen with tripod and fancy theodolite (or camera). Seemed to be taking detailed data or pictures of the listed refreshment block on platform 8.
UTX sprayed on the sleepers probably an under track crossing going in across under the yellow line to a chamber under the troughing.

59CosG95

Established Member
OLE works this weekend at Neville Hill - a portal boom has gone in on an existing headspan, with new cantilevers and switches to be installed in the coming weeks.

Do they not have any strong engineers to boast about this time :D

Interconnector from Armley TSL (track section location) to the new Neville Hill TSC (track sectioning cabin).
Viewing AIVR today, Neville Hill TSC appears to have been landed.

Last edited:

jonesy3001

Established Member
What are the timescales for the wires to go up on the following sections,
York to leeds,
Leeds to huddersfield,
Huddersfield to stalybridge and
Stalybridge to both manchester stations.

nr758123

York to leeds,
Leeds to huddersfield,
It's only 12 years since Transpennine electrification was announced. It's a bit soon to expect timescales.

Revaulx

York to leeds,
Leeds to huddersfield,
Stalybridge to both Manchester stations is pretty much complete.

When the first electric services start using any of the new infrastructure is another issue!

It's only 12 years since Transpennine electrification was announced. It's a bit soon to expect timescales.
:lol:

3RDGEN

York to leeds,
Leeds to huddersfield,
In the NR press release last week it states;

"Over the course of the two weekends, teams will install 3 kilometres of high voltage cables alongside the railway between Leeds and Neville Hill, which will provide the power for the future electrification of the Transpennine Route east of Leeds planned for later this decade."

That's the only timescale I have seen for any of TRU and is obviously not very useful. Not expecting specific dates but a year and season would be good.

themiller

In the NR press release last week it states;

"Over the course of the two weekends, teams will install 3 kilometres of high voltage cables alongside the railway between Leeds and Neville Hill, which will provide the power for the future electrification of the Transpennine Route east of Leeds planned for later this decade."

That's the only timescale I have seen for any of TRU and is obviously not very useful. Not expecting specific dates but a year and season would be good.
Isn’t the Colton junction to Church Fenton section getting connected during this Christmas and New Year period?

3RDGEN

Isn’t the Colton junction to Church Fenton section getting connected during this Christmas and New Year period?
It's believed to be but I haven't seen any confirmation, wasn't it originally Xmas 2022 & 23 for connections but nothing happened last year so wait and see.

jonesy3001

Established Member
No change has I went to guide bridge myself on wednesday, the wires finish at the gantry outside the freightliner depot.
According to Freel07 on skyscrapercity they've started to vacate the compound near ashton moss, so apart from the gap, there mustn't be much left to do now before/if the overheads are turned on.

Attachments

• 20231108_125744.jpg
    20231108_125744.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
  • 20231108_125052.jpg
    20231108_125052.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 128
  • 66951.jpg
    66951.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 128

59CosG95

Established Member
There are a number of worksites under TRU in NR Capital Delivery Eastern's portfolio for Xmas 2023:

TRU West
  • Morley Station (Week 40, commencing 29/12/2023)
  • Huddersfield Station
  • Stalybridge/Clayton Vale
  • Man Vic to Stalybridge OLE (Week 40)
  • Mirfield P-Way & Civils (Week 40)
TRU East
  • Neville Hill HV Interconnector (at a guess, this is the aforementioned link from Armley TSL to the new Neville Hill TSC)
  • CFM/5 Bridge Reconstruction (this is the bridge over the A162 at Barkston Ash)
  • Colton Jn Tangential Wiring and Junction Lighting/Signal Power Changeover
(note: "RED" worksites are coloured as such)