• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

CAF397

In the current Weekly Operating Notice that Guide Bridge West Jn to Stalybridge is to be energised and treated as live from 0001 Sunday 3rd March.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I'm 80 in March. I'm hoping to make a journey from Wigan to Bolton by electric train. My mother lived till she was 99.9!
I should have said I'm hoping to make a journey from Wigan to York via Bolton and Manchester Victoria by electric train to bring it back on piste!

Geeves

Established Member
With Manchester Victoria so Stalybridge going live shortly, does this have any impact on the long 25kV lead?

There was a poster on here who says that it's to stop in addition to the overheads just to aid in times of future maintenance and feeding issues. Makes sense I think!

snowball

Established Member
With Manchester Victoria so Stalybridge going live shortly, does this have any impact on the long 25kV lead?
I'm sure it will remain, and indeed needs to remain to feed Victoria to Stalybridge.

I don't think there is any way of feeding Victoria to Stalybridge from the Stalybridge end at present. The overhead wires stop before Stalybridge tunnel as you go east, whereas the actual feeder station is at Heyrod, to the east of the tunnel. I haven't heard that there's a tap into the extension lead to the west of the tunnel.

I assume the extension lead continues past Victoria to Ordsall Lane (MPATS??) as originally planned, but is tapped into at Victoria and connected to the overhead wires there??

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The wires are now live between Vic and Stalybridge, they where switched on, on new year's day with a test train due sometime next week.
I posted on here a while ago.

Any paths for these test trains?

WAO

The reason for the lead is surely to feed the GM system at the centre of the star of routes, rather than through one leg, a fault in which would close down the whole network.

I understand the City's commercial and residential supplies are also fed in a similar manner from Heyrod.

WAO

jonesy3001

Established Member
Any paths for these test trains?
Not seen anything apart from overnight works on the line this week.
Taken from the national rail page.
National rail enquiries icon logo

Industrial action to affect many National Rail services today and until Tuesday 6 February

Back

Amended early morning services between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge from Tuesday 30 January to Friday 2 February​

See all service disruptions

Engineering work details​

Starts 30 Jan 2024 to 02 Feb 2024
Train operators affected

Northern

Route(s) affected​

Northern between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge

Description​

Engineering work is taking place between Stalybridge and Manchester Victoria, closing some lines on Tuesday to Friday mornings.
The 06:19 Stalybridge to Manchester Victoria service will be bus replaced throughout.
The 06:22 Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge service will start at 06:32, and run later than normally advertised throughout.

SansHache

There will be a presentation on the TransPennine Route Upgrade hosted by the IMechE Railway Division at Manchester Metropolitan University of Tuesday 13th February at 18:30. Guests are welcome and the event can also be viewed online via Microsoft TEAMS.
It should be an interesting event and provide an update on the current status.

Whistler40145

Established Member
The reason for the lead is surely to feed the GM system at the centre of the star of routes, rather than through one leg, a fault in which would close down the whole network.

I understand the City's commercial and residential supplies are also fed in a similar manner from Heyrod.

WAO
Much appreciated

AndrewE

Established Member
In the current Weekly Operating Notice that Guide Bridge West Jn to Stalybridge is to be energised and treated as live from 0001 Sunday 3rd March.
Oh dear, another whole month during which the copper can be easily stolen...

Andyh82

Established Member
Is there any periods coming up this year where TPE services will be diverting via the Calder Valley again at weekends

The website only gives details of the next few weeks so it’s not clear in terms of the long term project

Is there any periods coming up this year where TPE services will be diverting via the Calder Valley again at weekends

The website only gives details of the next few weeks so it’s not clear in terms of the long term project
A few days ago I could not work out why I couldn’t get to Manchester via Huddersfield on 2 Mar I checked and nothing showing on the site that is supposed to inform you. Did more digging then realised nothing running through Huddersfield

3RDGEN

17/18th Feb, 2nd/3rd Mar & 9/10th Mar, TPE are going via the Calder Valley. National Rail will give you details for the next couple of months or so, the TRU website is pretty hopeless with only February works detailed.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Are these the test trains to check the overheads on the Victoria to stalybridge line in the early hours of Friday morning?

snowball

Established Member
Surely they wouldn't be going to Atherton and Wigan if their purpose was to test the overhead line.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

Passengers are being urged to check before they travel from Monday 19 to Friday 23 February, as engineering work will impact rail services between Huddersfield, Dewsbury and Leeds.

The upgrades being carried out are part of the Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU), a multi-billion-pound programme of railway upgrades that will enable faster, more reliable, greener services for customers travelling across the Pennines.

Track drainage and platform work will be carried out in the Morley area, whilst in Dewsbury engineers will be working on replacing and enhancing telecommunications networks to enable future signalling system improvements.

Jonathan Hepton, Sponsor on the Transpennine Route Upgrade, said: “The TRU team will be working around the clock to carry out these essential works, as we focus on upgrades on the railway at Morley and other locations in the Batley and Dewsbury areas.”

“We’d like to thank passengers for their patience and understanding as these upgrades are delivered and would like to remind them to check before they travel.”

For these vital upgrades to be facilitated, train services will be re-routed and will not call at all stations. TransPennine Express and Northern will keep passengers on the move via diversionary routes and rail replacement buses.

Chris Nutton, Major Projects Director at TransPennine Express, said: “The work around Morley and Dewsbury is essential for the delivery of more reliable services for our customers, as well as the delivery of the upgraded Morley station.

“We will be running an amended timetable on our North route while these improvement works are being carried out, diverting trains between Huddersfield and Leeds. Rail replacement buses will also be in place to keep customers on the move for more local journeys. We'd like to advise customers to check before they travel.”

Additionally, on 17/18 and 24/25 February, engineers will be completing upgrades around Huddersfield – customers are advised to plan their journey ahead of time if travelling by train during these periods.

These upgrades bring us one step closer to a better railway serving the new Morley station and at other locations in the Dewsbury and Batley area, with wider benefits across the entire Transpennine Route to create a cleaner, greener, and more reliable railway that will bring improved connectivity and travel experiences to passengers travelling between Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and York.

billio

The big crane is back at Barkston Ash and some of the new steel spans have been moved around the site. Is the bridge replacement expected to take place this weekend ? There is no advance notice of any road closure.

td97

Established Member
All I know is that 91s were included in the consist of the MML test trains between Bedford and Northants. I'm not sure whether these test trains will run in similar vein.
Actually yes, there was a different consistent for some of the MML tests. However, 90s are route cleared whilst 91s are not, so if used at all it would likely revert to the 90 formation similar to the GWML testing.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The big crane is back at Barkston Ash and some of the new steel spans have been moved around the site. Is the bridge replacement expected to take place this weekend ? There is no advance notice of any road closure.
Last I heard was targeting Easter.

Seehof

Is there anywhere that shows the forthcoming engineering, closures and diversions as far as is planned? I am (selfishly!) trying to avoid any major problems when travelling from York to Wales via Manchester in the summer with family members ranging from ages 7 to 84. Thanks