• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Foggycorner

I took a trip from manchester Picc to Stalybridge today and not only was the sun shining but the glare from the new contact wire now completed at guide bridge was a welcome sight so now it's live both from guide bridge and victoria to stalybridge

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
I took a trip from manchester Picc to Stalybridge today and not only was the sun shining but the glare from the new contact wire now completed at guide bridge was a welcome sight so now it's live both from guide bridge and victoria to stalybridge
I never knew until now that the gleam of new copper was dependent on it being live.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Good stuff, wonder what they'll use to test the overhead wires before the June timetable change.
Apparently there's overnight engineering works from the 12th march for a few nights could that be the last of the overhead works?

jonnyfan

Good stuff, wonder what they'll use to test the overhead wires before the June timetable change.
Apparently there's overnight engineering works from the 12th march for a few nights could that be the last of the overhead works?
There was a notice at our depot for volunteer drivers to take a Class 331 from Longsight MID to Victoria and back some hours later during March. I've forgotten the exact date, so I'd take a punt on a Class 331 to test out the wires.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The freight line over the respective Ashton roads won't be electrified, will it?

jonesy3001

Established Member
There was a notice at our depot for volunteer drivers to take a Class 331 from Longsight MID to Victoria and back some hours later during March. I've forgotten the exact date, so I'd take a punt on a Class 331 to test out the wires.
The 331s have pantograph cams, they'll probably use it to check the wires on both ashton and guide bridge lines.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Just seen this post on LinkedIn and it looks like there could be a test train next week to test the wires on the stalybridge lines.
I've taken screenshots of the post as well.
Credit to the TRU west alliance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240308_131348_LinkedIn.jpg
    Screenshot_20240308_131348_LinkedIn.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot_20240308_131408_LinkedIn.jpg
    Screenshot_20240308_131408_LinkedIn.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 166

59CosG95

Established Member
Looks like there could be a test train next week to test the wires on the stalybridge lines.
I've taken screenshots of the post as well.
Credit to the TRU west alliance.

Literally beat me to it by seconds! I've got a feeling it won't be a 390 as they are most definitely not cleared up that way.
A smaller unit or perhaps (fingers crossed) a loco would be more likely.

59CosG95

Established Member

Well this might be one! 1Q18 services are almost always OLE testing related, although normally this involves 2 diesels top-and-tailing a consist of coaches including "MENTOR". No sign of any EMU paths yet AFAIK.

Geeves

Established Member
99.9 percent sure it's 331 as the test electric train. They are asking for volunteers and it was a requirement to sign them

td97

Established Member

Well this might be one! 1Q18 services are almost always OLE testing related, although normally this involves 2 diesels top-and-tailing a consist of coaches including "MENTOR". No sign of any EMU paths yet AFAIK.
It is highly unlikely that OLE testing would take place at 9pm when the line is open to passenger traffic. The OLE test has to be done in special isolated conditions. I would have thought that path is more likely track recording, or possibly could include an aspect of OLE imaging/recording, but this is unlikely to be drawing power.

bengley

Established Member
It is highly unlikely that OLE testing would take place at 9pm when the line is open to passenger traffic. The OLE test has to be done in special isolated conditions. I would have thought that path is more likely track recording, or possibly could include an aspect of OLE imaging/recording, but this is unlikely to be drawing power.
1Q18 (PLPR1/Mentor) does record wired routes in the middle of the day. Perfectly normal.

On this occasion, however, the train will lower the pantograph at Manchester Victoria and will not be recording the new wires.

Geeves

Established Member
Potentially testing related next week.

On the 13th and 14th of March there's a 5I64 at 0345 from Victoria to Manchester International depot (Bank St) that doesn't usually run. I can't see any trains coming from the depot or going to Staly so I'm going assume the whole lot is under some kind of engineering possession and the units come in on the last one from Liverpool to Vic at 0027 the night before.

Edit units come in from Blackpool N at 2340 1Y64. :). Friend just pointed it out.

Last edited:
Where do we think they'll move to next since Stalybridge and Church Fenton electrification schemes are nearing completion. In my view, it would make a lot of sense to focus on the Church Fenton to Leeds section since it's not a very long route with mostly plain line (although there are about 20 overbridges) and there are a few services that would be able to switch to electric - nova 1s go through there and the York Leeds stopping train could be switched to using 331s. On the MML, they're in a similar position with kettering to wigston now almost complete, but over there it's been implied that it the team will disband for a few years unfortunate.

59CosG95

Established Member
Where do we think they'll move to next since Stalybridge and Church Fenton electrification schemes are nearing completion. In my view, it would make a lot of sense to focus on the Church Fenton to Leeds section since it's not a very long route with mostly plain line (although there are about 20 overbridges) and there are a few services that would be able to switch to electric - nova 1s go through there and the York Leeds stopping train could be switched to using 331s. On the MML, they're in a similar position with kettering to wigston now almost complete, but over there it's been implied that it the team will disband for a few years unfortunate.
Piling has already started between Leeds & Micklefield.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think they'll do the leeds to church fenton next before they do leeds to huddersfield, then huddersfield to stalybridge.
Full wiring of Leeds to Huddersfield won't happen until the four-tracking and grade separation at Thornhill is completed. You could wire to Dewsbury but only TPE's 802s would benefit. If the wires were there a Dewsbury to Leeds shuttle could go electric while the blockade is in place, but you'd have to train crews on the stock and/or the route, and only Northern have suitable pure EMUs in the area- so that probably goes in the "more trouble than it's worth" pile.

willgreen

They also need to complete four-tracking at some point between Leeds and Church Fenton, to allow stoppers to be looped. A Leeds Council document I saw the other week seemed to suggest this loop would start at Cross Gates and end somewhere before Garforth.

snowball

Established Member
There is an application for a Transport & Works Act order, submitted last July and not yet decided, for various works, mostly about bridges, between Leeds and Micklefield.

There have also been mentions, light on detail and not yet subject to a TWAO application (if one is needed), of viaduct works in Leeds east of the station.

There was a TWAO application for a new road and bridge near Church Fenton to enable the closure of three level crossings: Rose Lane, Adamsons and Poulters. I've just discovered on the DfT website that this gained approval in November. I don't think this approval has been mentioned on here until now.

There's also, of course, the need to realign the track near Neville Hill, which must come before electrification in that area and which is presumably dependent on completion of the alternative stabling sites at Shipley and Temple Mills. (Edit: sorry, I meant Healey Mills. Thanks, Bob55G.)

Last edited:

Bob55G

There is an application for a Transport & Works Act order, submitted last July and not yet decided, for various works, mostly about bridges, between Leeds and Micklefield.

There have also been mentions, light on detail and not yet subject to a TWAO application (if one is needed), of viaduct works in Leeds east of the station.

There was a TWAO application for a new road and bridge near Church Fenton to enable the closure of three level crossings: Rose Lane, Adamsons and Poulters. I've just discovered on the DfT website that this gained approval in November. I don't think this approval has been mentioned on here until now.

There's also, of course, the need to realign the track near Neville Hill, which must come before electrification in that area and which is presumably dependent on completion of the alternative stabling sites at Shipley and Temple Mills.
Surely alternative stabling sites at Shipley & Healey Mills?

As seen on Sunday 10th March, part of the Crossley scrapyard site (to the South of the Valley Road overbridge) is almost completely cleared - presumably good progress toward the setting up of the Shipley stabling point.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Looks like the test train on the ashton line ran this morning, wonder what the outcome was, after testing the wires.
Same again tomorrow morning.

skyhigh

Established Member
As seen on Sunday 10th March, part of the Crossley scrapyard site (to the South of the Valley Road overbridge) is almost completely cleared - presumably good progress toward the setting up of the Shipley stabling point.
Pretty much the entire site was clear the last time I went past.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Piling has already started between Leeds & Micklefield.
And between Wigan and Lostock, which looks like the extension of the Stalybridge team's work.

The 1Q18 diagram you linked visits almost every nook and cranny around Manchester, but not Guide Bridge-Stalybridge...