• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpora Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenS123

St Peter's school routes change March or February?

Bournemouth School Route Fares - Transpora are advertising fares of £4.70 day and £21.00 week. morebus standard child zone AB fares, which cover these routes are £4.00 day and £18.00 7days. morebus also offer term and half-term fares on a school by school basis rather than a monthly fare, which is more term friendly. The morebus tickets normally include travel in at least the zone A general network in addition to the school bus. Which would you choose?
I'm assuming regular tickets won't work on these routes - the same way in which other morebus school routes have their own "flat fare" rates - I think they're £3 single and £5 return at the moment, and ticket machines set for these routes reject the standard tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Soundwave

Correct! Seems Morebus have more interest in going head to head with us, than sorting out their 20m gaps on m1/m2 or finding space to stop parking their buses on the street outside the depot at night!
No disrespect to you... but they've taken over Yellow Routes, Xela Routes and now First Southanpton routes. A couple of school routes in Southbourne is hardly a bus war to them.

Dorsetbus

After all these years of building a successful operation why would morebus allow a other operator a foothold after all there hard work. This will be another 6 month wonder that will end with transporas few contracts being taken over by morebus in September.

AwkwardHail

After all these years of building a successful operation why would morebus allow an other operator a foothold after all there hard work. This will be another 6 month wonder that will end with transporas few contracts being taken over by morebus in September.
There had always been rumours and speculation about Yellow Buses before they finally went under, and theoretically spelled the end of the uncertainty but appears it’s come straight back, just in a different form of “who’s going to be operating my bus this week”

richard13

St Peter's School Bournemouth Routes: As Rhys Hand stated above these are commercial routes, thus normal commercial business rules apply. I consider running a bus or coach contract service as a Trade Skill; buy, maintain and drive a bus to cover someone else's requirement priced to cover costs and wages. Running a commercial bus or coach operation also requires business skills to find a unique market place and offer a product that the customers will repeatedly buy, like any other business. Established competitive businesses may well react, or wait and see. Any basic guide to setting up your own business explains the basic facts.

morebus school routes all use specific bus passes on the child's app. The child's app has to be verified with photo and age ID to accept any child ticket. This is significant back office work and can be processed in person at the Poole Bus Office. The pass prices vary from school to school, but many offer term and half-term versions or academic year and for the central Bournemouth schools, the pass is also valid on the general morebus network within zone A. The later is a significant benefit for after school activities. Their passes seem to be priced between about £4 and £4.70 per day when bought as a term pass.

Transpora seems to be only offering cash/card fares for single, day (£4.70), week (£21) and month. Are you expecting children to have cash or electronic equivalent and does the timetable allow extra boarding time for that?. Does the driver have change for kids with £20 notes for a £4.70 fare, because mum has run out of change. There is no verification that the teenager is a sixth former at the school and not just a member of the public getting a cheap ride. How do you control numbers - children cannot be left behind, when there isn't another bus coming.

There is also the issue that school buses have to run - no excuses - you need backup vehicles and staff on hand. For morebus that's easy, if unkind to the other customers - For Transpora?

I think Transpora will need more than a few school routes to get started with.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Transpora seems to be only offering cash/card fares for single, day (£4.70), week (£21) and month. Are you expecting children to have cash or electronic equivalent and does the timetable allow extra boarding time for that?. Does the driver have change for kids with £20 notes for a £4.70 fare, because mum has run out of change. There is no verification that the teenager is a sixth former at the school and not just a member of the public getting a cheap ride. How do you control numbers - children cannot be left behind, when there isn't another bus coming.

There is also the issue that school buses have to run - no excuses - you need backup vehicles and staff on hand. For morebus that's easy, if unkind to the other customers - For Transpora?
You say it as if Transpora is a brand new operator. They may be new to the area but they are headed up by people who have ran a few other bus companies before. Rhys has a history in a number of bus operators and Phillip Higgs of course runs stuff in Blackpool, including Lancashire school buses. I think that they will have covered some of these basis.

As for fares, I'd hope that Transpora do put these fares onto the MyTrip app. They already have the mobile ticketing for Bristol and Blackpool services so I see no reason why that couldn't be expanded. I'd also remind you that this is how a good number of commercial school services run up and down the country, cash or card payments. Mobile tickets for schools have only come about fully in the past year or so.

As for your other points, those issues are not exclusive to Transpora and Morebus, Yellow Coaches and Yellow Buses would have all had the exact same issue. Clearly the demand has been worked out over the past however many years of operation for these routes.

I think Transpora will need more than a few school routes to get started with.
Schools are an excellent place to start. Constant, almost guaranteed revenue. It means when you start normal service, you have guaranteed revenue either side so you aren't solely reliant on the service covering all costs (including depreciation), you can push more of the maintenance and depreciation costs onto the school run and the normal service costs then become simply drivers wage and fuel for those miles. It's how a number of companies run. Schools first, normal service second.

I really hope that Transpora do expand. I think it would be much better for them to have more targeted local expansion rather than a bit here, bit there but expanding bus companies is a good thing surely? More competition and hopefully give local areas a better bus network for passengers.

nesw

I believe that anyone who considers starting commercial route(s) in a new area , must have very deep pockets. Operators across the country are waiting for news that bus services will continue being supported at the end of the current round of ‘recovery grant’ at the end of next month. There’s no doubt that marginal commercial services will be reduced or withdrawn, particularly as confirmation of support is likely to be close to the ‘deadline’. There’s already been evidence that commercial school services have been withdrawn and recent changes in Kent and the West Midlands reflect this.

It makes sense for Go South Coast to take on additional school services when they have a garages in the area and will probably be able to schedule the vehicle workings with existing services. The days of ‘bus wars’ are over and I’m sure parents of children who attend the schools, will be relieved that the services will be run by an established, reputable company.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Schools are an excellent place to start. Constant, almost guaranteed revenue. It means when you start normal service, you have guaranteed revenue either side so you aren't solely reliant on the service covering all costs (including depreciation), you can push more of the maintenance and depreciation costs onto the school run and the normal service costs then become simply drivers wage and fuel for those miles. It's how a number of companies run. Schools first, normal service second.
Many operators start with schools. But usually under contract to the school or local authority. Rarely in a competitive situation - that's usually the appeal of school contracts. Then they start running routes between the school trips and then perhaps expand to full commercial work.

This way, there's no guaranteed income despite a guaranteed flow of passengers.

nesw

Mr. H. has posted a photo of the new garage on ‘the south coast.’ No sign as yet of any registration of new services.

At our new depot on the South Coast tonight where some of the buses due to be based here are settling in….
I’m unable to attach a copy of the tweet as it is too large for the upload.

Mod note: Copying and pasting the contents of the tweet is possible and doesn't exceed any upload limits. It's also a requirement of forum rules ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

aliceh

father_jack

Mr. H. has posted a photo of the new garage on ‘the south coast.’ No sign as yet of any registration of new services.

I’m unable to attach a copy of the tweet as it is too large for the upload.

Mod note: Copying and pasting the contents of the tweet is possible and doesn't exceed any upload limits. It's also a requirement of forum rules ;)
Yes, please copy and paste so us banned folk can read it........:D

"Swan Vestas" wrote

Rhys Hand
@RhysHand

You’re blocked
You can’t follow or see @RhysHand’s Tweets.

aliceh

As I understand, Transpora will be running 5 school routes. About two weeks after they announced it, More also announced they'll be running four of those routes (the St Peters School ones).

So currently, it seems that St Peters School will have duplicate bus routes from two different operators come Monday.

richard13

As I understand, Transpora will be running 5 school routes. About two weeks after they announced it, More also announced they'll be running four of those routes (the St Peters School ones).

So currently, it seems that St Peters School will have duplicate bus routes from two different operators come Monday.
Transpora start 20 Feb but More start 20 March. Yellow coaches originally was operating until 20 March to St Peter's School and hence the mess that Transpora are operating commercially from 20th Feb to allow Yellow coaches to cease earlier.

If Yellow Coaches was not making money, I wonder how Transpora can with only 5 school journeys. Morebus school bus passes allow travel on their ordinary network as well in appropriate zones; School buses charge more than normal routes.

baza585

Transpora start 20 Feb but More start 20 March. Yellow coaches originally was operating until 20 March to St Peter's School and hence the mess that Transpora are operating commercially from 20th Feb to allow Yellow coaches to cease earlier.

If Yellow Coaches was not making money, I wonder how Transpora can with only 5 school journeys. Morebus school bus passes allow travel on their ordinary network as well in appropriate zones; School buses charge more than normal routes.
I'm not sure why morebus are starting these services on 20th March given the school breaks up on 30th March for two weeks plus 1 staff training day.

All part of the Go South Coast plan for world domination no doubt........

Soundwave

I'm not sure why morebus are starting these services on 20th March given the school breaks up on 30th March for two weeks plus 1 staff training day.

Maybe Morebus have other changes starting that weekend?!

Dorsetbus

I believe there is a post above that state's that yellow coaches were supposed to finish the week before.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This thread is for discussing Transpora's operations. If anyone wishes to discuss anything related to other bus operators, please do so in the appropriate thread if one exists, or start a new thread.

baza585

It will be interesting to see how/if Transpora respond when morebus do start running competitive services to St Peters school.

Never thought I would witness a bus war over school services.....

aliceh

I missed that (bad reading on my part). Though from what I can see (and from Rhys' previous comments), I don't get the impression Transpora are intending this to be a temporary stopgap while waiting for More.

richard13

I believe there is a post above that state's that yellow coaches were supposed to finish the week before.
Yellow Coaches finished at the start of half term (10th Feb). Transpora start after half term on 20th Feb. Morebus starts 20th March, which is when the Yellow Coaches agreement (?) with St Peter's school was due to finish - at least a date that was on Yellow coaches original closing down posting. Yes it is odd with just 2 weeks of term to go, but not all school contracts end up being complete half terms; it might have been Easter a couple of years ago.

It will be interesting to see how/if Transpora respond when morebus do start running competitive services to St Peters school.

Never thought I would witness a bus war over school services.....
Transpora comes with history, under different names. Morebus may act the same as Newport Transport did a while ago - simply ignore its presence and it will go away - The Foxstar buses were repossessed in service after a few weeks. In any case morebus can offer the children a better product - a complete network with term passes and not just an out and back school run - children can do after school activities anywhere in town and still use their bus pass to get home. The public would prefer a monopoly where all buses use the same tickets. If fares got too high someone would start a competitive venture although at present that seems unlikely. Conversion to a franchised operation like much of the world could well be appropriate.

Transpora have allowed Yellow Coaches to close down earlier than expected. Now we can watch and see what happens.

richard13

Just to add to the confusion...
View attachment 129201
The registration for the Transpora St Peters school services say 20th March.
The Yellow Coaches routes are still licenced and so they could run them on hire to Yellow Coaches for the month - it would still help Xelagroup.
Altonian Coaches (Transpora) don't appear to have a registered operating centre in Bournemouth yet either.

Though from what I can see (and from Rhys' previous comments), I don't get the impression Transpora are intending this to be a temporary stopgap while waiting for More.
I don't get the impression that Transpora or Rhys intends it to be temporary either, but unfortunately what they intend and what they get has not been historically the same. Can one see a sound commercial business being created with normal competition? Sad.

aliceh

It's going to be a tough gig, that's for sure. But I like seeing people succeed at what they try to do (if at first you don't succeed, etc, etc) and have Transpora get some kind of foothold, however small - I'm not sure how likely that is, certainly when BCP (Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole council) doesn't have proper integrated ticketing across operators (not that one is needed currently with just one operator)

Last edited by a moderator:

RhysHand

Yellow Coaches finished at the start of half term (10th Feb). Transpora start after half term on 20th Feb. Morebus starts 20th March, which is when the Yellow Coaches agreement (?) with St Peter's school was due to finish - at least a date that was on Yellow coaches original closing down posting. Yes it is odd with just 2 weeks of term to go, but not all school contracts end up being complete half terms; it might have been Easter a couple of years ago.

Transpora comes with history, under different names. Morebus may act the same as Newport Transport did a while ago - simply ignore its presence and it will go away - The Foxstar buses were repossessed in service after a few weeks. In any case morebus can offer the children a better product - a complete network with term passes and not just an out and back school run - children can do after school activities anywhere in town and still use their bus pass to get home. The public would prefer a monopoly where all buses use the same tickets. If fares got too high someone would start a competitive venture although at present that seems unlikely. Conversion to a franchised operation like much of the world could well be appropriate.

Transpora have allowed Yellow Coaches to close down earlier than expected. Now we can watch and see what happens.
Foxstar has no relevance to this or the operation, so let’s keep to facts please.

nesw

I believe that referring to the previous registered companies that Rhys & Co have operated is relevant to the current Transpora Group discussion, particularly given that these companies also operated bus services. As long as comments are factual and not personal, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

RhysHand

I believe that referring to the previous registered companies that Rhys & Co have operated is relevant to the current Transpora Group discussion, particularly given that these companies also operated bus services. As long as comments are factual and not personal, then there shouldn’t be a problem.
Yes fine, if they are - factual. But, speculation, and assumptions are not facts.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Let's just keep the discussion to the current operations of Transpora Group. Regardless of whether the same person(s) are involved, this is a different venture and there's no point in digging up the previous discussion which, quite frankly, became rather toxic.

It is your responsibility to ensure all your contributions to this forum are respectful, appropriate, relevant, legal and accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.