• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpora Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russel

Is the London route master service still operating? I hung around Waterloo for 20 minutes today and didn't see any.

I've just tried the download the timetable but it's in a .tif format that I can't view on my phone, do they not want customers?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lynford1976

Is the London route master service still operating? I hung around Waterloo for 20 minutes today and didn't see any.

I've just tried the download the timetable but it's in a .tif format that I can't view on my phone, do they not want customers?

I saw it today parked outside Waterloo.

RhysHand

nesw

RhysHand

I thought that TfL usually have a consultation prior to a London Service Permit (LSP) service frequency (every 20 minutes) being changed? I’m aware of the consultation for the route and timetable change dated 15 July 2023 but I’ve not seen any mention of the change dated 19 April 2023.
We met with TfL and they had no issue with our temporary change. Or, we wouldn’t have done it.

Russel

Again, .tif file, I've tried various phone apps but it doesn't open, so I'm still none the wiser.

An hour is a long time to hang around, even for a ride on a route master.

I'm not meaning to criticise here, but I'm an enthusiast that's good with timetables and I have no idea when it runs, so how are casual tourists, which i assume are your target market meant to work it out?

RhysHand

Again, .tif file, I've tried various phone apps but it doesn't open, so I'm still none the wiser.

An hour is a long time to hang around, even for a ride on a route master.

I'm not meaning to criticise here, but I'm an enthusiast that's good with timetables and I have no idea when it runs, so how are casual tourists, which i assume are your target market meant to work it out?
The market is online travel agents which provide all sorts of info using times and what three words etc which match demand.

We introduced a ‘turn up and go’ fare for those that are on the street.

The product will be changing shortly. With an addition of other offerings.

Marcus Fryer

Rhys’s link works on my phone. Departures from Waterloo are at 09:40, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00. Departures from Haymarket are 25 minutes later.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Rhys’s link works on my phone. Departures from Waterloo are at 09:40, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00. Departures from Haymarket are 25 minutes later.
Thanks. It's the first image file I've seen that my phone can't display with the default apps.

The market is online travel agents which provide all sorts of info using times and what three words etc which match demand.

We introduced a ‘turn up and go’ fare for those that are on the street.

The product will be changing shortly. With an addition of other offerings.
Is the website not aimed at potential customers?

RhysHand

Thanks. It's the first image file I've seen that my phone can't display with the default apps.

Is the website not aimed at potential customers?
Everyone is a potential customer of course, so yes. I’m not sure what you mean.

The OTA’s are where we sell the most tickets.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Everyone is a potential customer of course, so yes. I’m not sure what you mean.
When asked about providing more accessible information your response indicated they weren't the market you were aiming at.

The OTA’s are where we sell the most tickets.

If (some) people can't read your timetable on their phone and there's no timetable on stops, I'm not surprised.

RhysHand

When asked about providing more accessible information your response indicated they weren't the market you were aiming at.

If (some) people can't read your timetable on their phone and there's no timetable on stops, I'm not surprised.
There are timetables on the stops, and you are the only one that has reported not being able to view the timetable on your phone - I have tried 7 other people who can all view it with no issues - and there is no fault found when I asked the team to check.

There are also times at the bus stops - I’m sure you can imagine what political drama it is to get these changed, it’s certainly not quick unfortunately.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There are timetables on the stops, and you are the only one that has reported not being able to view the timetable on your phone - I have tried 7 other people who can all view it with no issues - and there is no fault found when I asked the team to check.

There are also times at the bus stops - I’m sure you can imagine what political drama it is to get these changed, it’s certainly not quick unfortunately.
I was the second person on this thread to report it. .tif is an unusual format for a webpage to use. I'm happy to accept that I may be in the minority in my phone not having the native ability to read it, but it's more likely than with a .png, .pdf or .jpg file.

I'm not sure why it should "political drama" to get these changed - after all, you've just reported how easy it was get TfL to accept the changes, but you'll know better than me about that. I know people who used to be in charge of that, but that's somewhat historic experience, now.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I was the second person on this thread to report it. .tif is an unusual format for a webpage to use. I'm happy to accept that I may be in the minority in my phone not having the native ability to read it, but it's more likely than with a .png, .pdf or .jpg file.
I had issues opening the above .tif file on my phone. It was ok on my computer though.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Could it be an android issue (or even manufacturer specific issue) that tif files cannot be viewed as my Galaxy zFlip 4 on Android can't view the .tif timetable image either

Dai Corner

Established Member
FWIW, my bog-standard Android phone couldn't display it either.

I'd recommend the website administrator puts up a pdf (Portable Document Format). That will be compatible with the vast majority of devices.

Russel

So I wasn't the only person that couldn't open the .tif file.

Would it not make sense to just display the timetable on the website, or upload it in the industry standard PDF?

Given how many sightseeing bus tours there are on offer in London, surly throwing obstacles infront of potential customers isn't great business sense. If I'm a tourist and I see one of your buses pass me and decide I'd like a ride, I'm going to reach for my phone and search for information, if I can't find it what stop to head to or what times they run, you've lost my custom.

As I originally said, I'm not criticising here, the price is excellent and who doesn't enjoy a ride on an Routemaster, I wish you the best of luck with it and hope it becomes a success.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
@RhysHand I think you should re-publish the TIF files in a different format. I tried to open it on my phone and it tried to do so with Google Photos; after a certain amount of time I'm still getting a spinning circle.

Clicking on the link on my PC, it's asking me to download the file and then I'm asked which application should handle it. This isn't good. If it's a PDF document, my browser should be able to open it without any problems. I suspect it probably isn't much good from an accessibility point of view.

RJ

Established Member
I clicked on the .tif link and it was fine on iPhone with Chrome, also tried in Safari and it was ok.

Also wishing @RhysHand and co all the best with the operation.

Marcus Fryer

I clicked on the .tif link and it was fine on iPhone with Chrome, also tried in Safari and it was ok.

Also wishing @RhysHand and co all the best with the operation.
Yes, the problem seems to be with Android phones - it appears on these you have to download something called a ‘multi-tiff viewer free’ app to be able to read .tif files.

Russel

Yes, the problem seems to be with Android phones - it appears on these you have to download something called a ‘multi-tiff viewer free’ app to be able to read .tif files.

And given Android takes around 50% of the UK market share, that's a fair amount of people that will have potential issues.

Andyh82

Established Member
The only ‘on street’ advertising I’ve seen for this service is the vehicle itself and to be honest that’s not a massive advert considering routemasters are often seen on private hire in the centre, and if you happen across a standard panel timetable at a bus stop it serves. You can barely move for publicity and leaflets for the ‘big 4’ tour bus companies.

Whenever I’ve seen the service the passengers ‘look’ more like enthusiasts who knew about the service and caught it at the tourist unfriendly cab road departure point, rather than tourists

A departure point and/or a parked up spare vehicle somewhere more visible might be better

PTR 444

Established Member
For a while, it was every 15 minutes (even every ten at one point). Although that at least had the advantage of continuing to Iford and the hospital. I wish them luck, but they're really going to need it.
The 2 (soon to become 22) still continues to Iford, Bournemouth Hospital and Castlepoint. My guess is that the frequency was halved from 15 to 30 mins as Morebus didn’t have enough resources to run a more frequent service when they took it on after Yellow Buses’ collapse last summer.

I think additional buses along the Holdenhurst Road corridor through Springbourne are a good idea, although I’d prefer if they were at even intervals to the existing service.

deconte

I think additional buses along the Holdenhurst Road corridor through Springbourne are a good idea, although I’d prefer if they were at even intervals to the existing service.
Put the ’new 2’ at sequenced thirty minute intervals as you suggest and extend it from Boscombe to Fisherman’s Walk. Gives the route a USP and keeps the PVR at two.

tjwpsv

Working the Bournemouth Coaster service today are open top Trident W501 RBB and roofed Volvo B9TL GX09 ZZW, the latter a former Yellow Buses vehicle and still in yellow, though both vehicles are smartly route branded for the service. With glorious sunshine there today, I know which I'd choose out of those. 8-)
The service has now moved to a PVR of 2 for the summer. @RhysHand are there any plans to bring a second open topper to Bournemouth for the summer, please?

RhysHand

Working the Bournemouth Coaster service today are open top Trident W501 RBB and roofed Volvo B9TL GX09 ZZW, the latter a former Yellow Buses vehicle and still in yellow, though both vehicles are smartly route branded for the service. With glorious sunshine there today, I know which I'd choose out of those. 8-)
The service has now moved to a PVR of 2 for the summer. @RhysHand are there any plans to bring a second open topper to Bournemouth for the summer, please?
There are indeed - MOT slots have prevented it being there sooner but should be ready this week.

Dorsetbus

Not sure of the truth in this. But the rumour is that the Bournemouth operation had three vehicles taken of the road by the DVSA this last weekend. One was a open top without a valid MOT.

BenS123

borage

Status
Not open for further replies.