• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales Class 231 / 756 FLIRTs

AdamWW

Established Member
I don't know whether the Barry Tourist Railway sidings are these BUT there are (rwo iirc) sidings running alongside what might have been an ex-railway shed (modern). The shed is more or less alongside Barry station with the sidings hidden behind it. Those sidings where home to 4 x 231 last time I looked.

That sounds like the Barry Tourist Railway (which runs/ran on its own track across the causeway to Barry Island).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cockneyviking

AdamWW

Established Member
I had another trip on a 231 today.

Once again the passenger information system was in a little world of its own, announcing that the train was delayed due to a track inspection, despite being on time.
The displays helpfully told us how to claim Delay Repay, then told us that actually the train we were on was cancelled.
It wasn't.

We had a nice manual announcement that there is still a gap at Heath High Level despite the ramps.

(More sense than saying mind the gap at stations where there isn't one, which I have also heard)

The engine section was extremely loud from outside with the train at rest - far noisier than I would expect for a DMU. I think it was cooling fan not engine noise, and presumably related to the warm weather. I'm not used to hearing cooling fans for diesel engines like that though.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I had another trip on a 231 today.

Once again the passenger information system was in a little world of its own, announcing that the train was delayed due to a track inspection, despite being on time.
The displays helpfully told us how to claim Delay Repay, then told us that actually the train we were on was cancelled.
It wasn't.

Last edited:

Dai Corner

Established Member
In my experience, the PIS on all trains gets confused heading north through Caerphilly tunnel. It often loses Caerphilly and states that the next stop will be Aber. Energlyn also confuses the system because not aall trains stop there. Hopefully the faster class 231s will allow all trains to stop there soon.
I think I've heard them forget about Queen Street going the other way too.

Incidentally, does anybody know what happened at Aber yesterday? No trains called from some time in the afternoon until end of service and there was a bus to/from Caerphilly.

Incidentally, does anybody know what happened at Aber yesterday? No trains called from some time in the afternoon until end of service and there was a bus to/from Caerphilly.
There was a track defect on both platforms at Aber yesterday, meaning that no services could stop there. Hence the shuttle bus to/from Caerphilly!

Problem seems to be rectified now though.

AdamWW

Established Member
Not sure - actually, after looking at cached journeycheck, it was officially 'a defect on both platforms'... My bad.

Well earlier they were describing it as a track defect. I was somewhat puzzled.

It wouldn't be the first time a railway company had given the wrong explanation for disruption.

56xx

Aber Station was recently closed to have the surface upgraded with pre-formed sections incorporating tactiles and yellow and white line glued or screwed down.
Some of them may have moved in the recent warm weather.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Aber Station was recently closed to have the surface upgraded with pre-formed sections incorporating tactiles and yellow and white line glued or screwed down.
Some of them may have moved in the recent warm weather.
Ah. I have noticed in my travels some creaky/loose screw down visibility strips particularly on the edge of steps. Fell risky but usually quite sound. That is mainly in London. But I can believe that a lot of these kinds of improvements are going on currently in the Welsh Valleys so there are bound to be a few teething problems.

Paul Dancey

Caught a glimpse of 756102 moving around the depot at Canton yesterday evening when my train from Penarth756102.jpg was waiting for a platform at Central. Not the best of photos as it was taken with my phone through the window into the sun.

AdamWW

Established Member
I talked to someone today who had pretty much given up on the trains from Carphilly to Cardiff on the grounds that they were dirty and overcrowded but was very impressed with the 231 they caught today.

Apart from the seats which were apparently the wrong shape for them, but nevertheless they're now happy to use the train again.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I talked to someone today who had pretty much given up on the trains from Carphilly to Cardiff on the grounds that they were dirty and overcrowded but was very impressed with the 231 they caught today.

Apart from the seats which were apparently the wrong shape for them, but nevertheless they're now happy to use the train again.
I agree, the seats really let them down (although in my case I didn't get as far as deciding whether or not I liked the shape of them; they are just plain too hard) but the 231s seemed to be otherwise rather nice units from the short trip I had on one a while back.

I agree, the seats really let them down (although in my case I didn't get as far as deciding whether or not I liked the shape of them; they are just plain too hard) but the 231s seemed to be otherwise rather nice units from the short trip I had on one a while back.
Having travelled from London to Cardiff on a GWR 800 and then getting a 231 to Llanishen, I have to say that the seat comparison is very much in favour of the 231s!

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Having travelled from London to Cardiff on a GWR 800 and then getting a 231 to Llanishen, I have to say that the seat comparison is very much in favour of the 231s!
Oh, the 800's seats are far too hard as well. I wasn't suggesting that the 231s are alone in having overly-hard seats. Far from it (sadly).

geoffk

Established Member
I tried out a 231 yesterday from Penarth to Grangetown and back - I only had an hour's parking! Quite impressed with these, fairly comfortable seats, PIS was working correctly, and quiet in the passenger compartments. I did have a walk through the power pack vehicle. Door operation is slightly slower than with the older units to allow operation of the retractable step - I admit I instinctively stepped over it as I would over a gap but no doubt I'd get used to it.

Last edited:

Anonymous10

Established Member
I used a 231 for the first time at the end of last month to Rhymney and back in the evening (was visiting family). Whilst I dislike the seats lack of padding or recline given the short routes they'll work I think they're completely acceptable.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Oh, the 800's seats are far too hard as well. I wasn't suggesting that the 231s are alone in having overly-hard seats. Far from it (sadly).
I used a 231 for the first time at the end of last month to Rhymney and back in the evening (was visiting family). Whilst I dislike the seats lack of padding or recline given the short routes they'll work I think they're completely acceptable.
Those FISA lean seats are also on WMRs new 196s which are similarly hard. I can say that after 3 years of using GA's Stadlers they do soften a lot with time, they should do after at most a year of wearing in.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Those FISA lean seats are also on WMRs new 196s which are similarly hard. I can say that after 3 years of using GA's Stadlers they do soften a lot with time, they should do after at most a year of wearing in.
Even if they don't I don't think it's an issue with the average journey length

AdamWW

Established Member
231007 work the first fare paying service to Barry Island on the 2010 cardiff to Barry Island

That's a surprise. I didn't know they were allowed to do that.

I assume it's because of the general disruption today.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I tried out a 231 yesterday from Penarth to Grangetown and back - I only had an hour's parking! Quite impressed with these, fairly comfortable seats, PIS was working correctly, and quiet in the passenger compartments. I did have a walk through the power pack vehicle. Door operation is slightly slower than with the older units to allow operation of the retractable step - I admit I instinctively stepped over it as I would over a gap but no doubt I'd get used to it.
And when you get used to the retractable step there is a risk you will step on it as you get of a non-231/756 :rolleyes:.

ABB125

Established Member
There was a class 756 at Rail Live today/yesterday (and the air conditioning was very welcome in the heat! :D). It was very similar to the class 755s over in East Anglia (no surprises there then!). Unfortunately, I forgot to note down which one it was - does anyone know? I think it was 756003, but I'm not 100% certain. Thanks!

anthony263

Established Member
There was a class 756 at Rail Live today/yesterday (and the air conditioning was very welcome in the heat! :D). It was very similar to the class 755s over in East Anglia (no surprises there then!). Unfortunately, I forgot to note down which one it was - does anyone know? I think it was 756003, but I'm not 100% certain. Thanks!
Think it was 756003 hauled up the other day by 50007