• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales Class 231 / 756 FLIRTs

3973EXL

Established Member
Dep 1416 92015 66001 756111/113/112
Dep 0234 66001 756111/113/112

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

St. Paddy

Dep 1416 92015 66001 756111/113/112
Only 4 more to come then

D7672

On Moderation
756111 still at the side of pullman rail,756112 in the top.shed with graffiti removal and 756113 on mainline test 27th October 2023

Attachments

• 20231027_101359.jpg
    20231027_101359.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 207

Peter Sarf

Established Member
756111 still at the side of pullman rail,756112 in the top.shed with graffiti removal and 756113 on mainline test 27th October 2023
Nice picture - where is that taken from ?.
I guess somewhere on the North side of the mainline towards the West end. The vantage point where I always saw the 231s (further East where the footbridge into Canton used to be) seems no longer fruitful.

D7672

On Moderation
De croche place,where the footbridge used to be,cctv everywhere there,but I was facing west where the wheel lathe is

Anonymous10

Established Member
Not really for you to be concerned about anyway.
Whilst that's true I struggle to understand how your remark is helpful either?

I don’t think poking a phone through a security fence counts as trespass.
Apologies thought it was a case he'd stood there, not intimate with the area and shot seemed like it was taken stood on other side. I will admit tho it's possible things have changed since the street view image.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Whilst that's true I struggle to understand how your remark is helpful either?

Apologies thought it was a case he'd stood there, not intimate with the area and shot seemed like it was taken stood on other side. I will admit tho it's possible things have changed since the street view image.
I’m just saying, your remark might cause someone to get in to trouble, so as it’s not really yours or my business anyway it’s not worth going into :)

Any more updates on 756 via Pontypridd, anyone? I can’t stomach these 150s any longer.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Another 756 delivery ?

Envoy

Established Member
Now November and still no 756’s in passenger service - despite live wires south of Pontypridd. Thought they could at least have got them going on the City Line where they could have picked up electricity on the western section. (Yes, I do realise that everything through Radyr will eventually be the Class 398 tram-trains).

Anonymous10

Established Member
Now November and still no 756’s in passenger service - despite live wires south of Pontypridd. Thought they could at least have got them going on the City Line where they could have picked up electricity on the western section. (Yes, I do realise that everything through Radyr will eventually be the Class 398 tram-trains).
Milage and training could be a hindrance?

craigybagel

Established Member

The training course is still being worked on. They might be similar visually to 231s, but bear in mind that few if any Valleys drivers have ever driven an electric train.

Anonymous10

Established Member
The training course is still being worked on. They might be similar visually to 231s, but bear in mind that few if any Valleys drivers have ever driven an electric train.
That was what I was trying to get at, thanks for expanding on that.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Might January - same really as 231 but a year later - be realistic? Or perhaps May if not?

craigybagel

Established Member
Might January - same really as 231 but a year later - be realistic? Or perhaps May if not?
Closer to the latter than the former is more likely I'd suspect. When I say being worked on I mean the contents of the course itself is still being finalised, rather than training having commenced. But I've not seen a date set in stone, so hopefully things will happen sooner rather than later. It doesn't necessarily need to fit smoothly around a timetable change.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Another 756 delivery ?

6L22 cancelled but a few more possibilities after.

Does anyone know if the 756s have got through the hole ?.

AdamWW

Established Member

I'm not sure the platforms on the City Line are long enough yet - I think even a double 153 is too long for some of them.

They seem to be making good progress on the platform extensions but they aren't finished.

Last Hurrah

I'm not sure the platforms on the City Line are long enough yet - I think even a double 153 is too long for some of them.

They seem to be making good progress on the platform extensions but they aren't finished.

They seem to have short bursts of activity, then it stops for a while until the next burst of activity

As there is no Sunday service on the City Line, I would have thought the platform extensions could progress reasonably quickly particularly as all the wire stuff has been finished

positron

They've got live wires all the way from Aberdare and Merthyr (just south of) to Cardiff (aside from the planned gaps). So it's even weirder they haven't moved faster to get 756s running.

Anonymous10

Established Member
They've got live wires all the way from Aberdare and Merthyr (just south of) to Cardiff (aside from the planned gaps). So it's even weirder they haven't moved faster to get 756s running.
Might be worth reading the above posts about the reasons.