• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales Class 231 / 756 FLIRTs

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikePJ

A 756 update: the formal consultation for the introduction of the 756s on the Core Valley Lines opened last Friday (17th Nov) and closes on 12th January 2024. Amey Infrastructure Wales (who manage the Core Valley Lines) are obliged to respond by 24th January, and (based on previous consultations) will rubber-stamp this one as long as none of the other consultees objects. So it's fair to say that there will be no 756s in service before 12th January at the earliest, and most likely no sooner than the 24th January.

I've attached the consultation documents (not that they're especially interesting - the detailed appendix about the 756s has not been posted on the web) because they disappear off the web once the consultation closes, and occasionally it's useful to refer back to them.

Attachments

• B CVLVC005 CVL IM Vehicle Change notice to consultees - TFWRL Class 756.pdf
    167.4 KB · Views: 93
  • A TfW CVL Vehicle Change proposal Class 756 v2.pdf
    334.9 KB · Views: 77

3973EXL

Established Member
92015 66002 756116/117 dep 1423

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
So I assume that means all the 756s are in and/or around Cardiff now ?.

Barry must be bursting at the seams.

DLyle44004

Does anyone know the official TfW narrative for getting these bad boys running on the Vale of Glamorgan line? Rush hour services through to / from Barry are always heaving and Platform 8 at Cardiff is always in a sorry state when the 231's run empty to Penarth and the VoG lot have to clamber onto a single 150.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Does anyone know the official TfW narrative for getting these bad boys running on the Vale of Glamorgan line? Rush hour services through to / from Barry are always heaving and Platform 8 at Cardiff is always in a sorry state when the 231's run empty to Penarth and the VoG lot have to clamber onto a single 150.
Yes join the Pontypridd line club. Was very nearly overcarried to Radyr because I couldn’t get off on Saturday.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Diversionary route for services bound for West of Cardiff is likely.

Bob Price

Wednesday evening there are paths in for what looks like 756's testing on the City line loop from Radyr to Radyr. Look up Radyr on RTT about 8.30 and the runs are in with a 0Z3x series of codes

anthony263

Established Member
Do we know of any wheelslip problems with the 231s given what’s happening with the 197s?
Haven't heard much of them having issues. A class 231 been up to Radyr today.

67028 up at Radyr tomorrow as they testing electrical interference with the equipment at Cardiff University

MikePJ

Also I'd be interested if there are any Welsh speakers on here who have used the trains. It sounds to me as if the PIS describes services throughout the route as e.g, "dim ond i Penarth" which I thought meant "Penarth only". But maybe I'm mishearing or that's not what it means. It's not what appears on the screens but the screens and announcements don't seem to be particularly related.
Just a follow up to this discussion of the Welsh-language autoannouncer on the 231s: it’s been updated. I don’t understand Welsh well enough to transcribe it, but it uses the verb “teithio”, meaning to travel, so I think it means “we’ll be travelling to…” which is what the English version says.

iceolate

I've observed there hasn't been much discussion here of issues on the Class 231 since their introduction over a year ago, I assume compared to the issues that have plagued the Class 197, 230 and Mk4 these trains are actually working well in regular operation? If so this has to be the biggest success story in TfW's new fleet introduction surely?

Given they were intended for the Maesteg & Ebbw Vale lines to replace the (very much missed) Class 170s but I've seen discussion of the Class 197 being used on these lines are they still going to end up on these lines and if so when is that likely to happen? The Maesteg line desperately needs some improvements, 1tph, frequently late, overcrowded and still sometimes operating single units isn't a great look for TfW, at least an all FLIRT service would be a welcome start towards modernisation of this line.

StripeyNick

I've observed there hasn't been much discussion here of issues on the Class 231 since their introduction over a year ago, I assume compared to the issues that have plagued the Class 197, 230 and Mk4 these trains are actually working well in regular operation? If so this has to be the biggest success story in TfW's new fleet introduction surely?

Given they were intended for the Maesteg & Ebbw Vale lines to replace the (very much missed) Class 170s but I've seen discussion of the Class 197 being used on these lines are they still going to end up on these lines and if so when is that likely to happen? The Maesteg line desperately needs some improvements, 1tph, frequently late, overcrowded and still sometimes operating single units isn't a great look for TfW, at least an all FLIRT service would be a welcome start towards modernisation of this line.
They seem to be working really well. There have been faults but nothing too major I believe....the usual new train niggles. They certainly seem reliable. I love them! I was talking to a chap from TfW before Christmas and he thinks they are regretting not going with a full Stadler fleet

I think it will be a while before they get on their intended route. With the 756s going on the Valleys as a fill in before the tram trains, it'll probably be at least another year at least before everything is working where it should.

anthony263

Established Member
They seem to be working really well. There have been faults but nothing too major I believe....the usual new train niggles. They certainly seem reliable. I love them! I was talking to a chap from TfW before Christmas and he thinks they are regretting not going with a full Stadler fleet

I think it will be a while before they get on their intended route. With the 756s going on the Valleys as a fill in before the tram trains, it'll probably be at least another year at least before everything is working where it should.
Quite a few people have said tfw should have gone for a full stadler fleet.

Problem was CAF had a factory in wales so that probably focused Welsh politicians minds sadly

craigybagel

Established Member
Quite a few people have said tfw should have gone for a full stadler fleet.

Problem was CAF had a factory in wales so that probably focused Welsh politicians minds sadly
I think cost was the biggest issue. Stadler units do not come cheap. But if you need bi-mode multiple units that fit UK gauge there isn't much choice out there.