• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

GalaxyDog

Applied for Shrews Aug Sept 2022. Got an email saying I'd made it to the shortlist, but had nothing since. Emailed then last week of Jan just to see if I was still in the process or not, no reply. Very disheartening.

Would understand if hadn't made it through the first sift, but to be told I had and then to be dropped like a lead brick, makes you wonder.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Frankie4763

Applied for Shrews Aug Sept 2022. Got an email saying I'd made it to the shortlist, but had nothing since. Emailed then last week of Jan just to see if I was still in the process or not, no reply. Very disheartening.

Would understand if hadn't made it through the first sift, but to be told I had and then to be dropped like a lead brick, makes you wonder.
Apparently it’s a big intake. I was told to be patient. I also believe they send rejection emails so if you haven’t had one of those stay positive

SCDR_WMR

Established Member

This is their intake for the majority of 2023, if not all. Keep going, they will get to you at some point either way

InkyScrolls

This is their intake for the majority of 2023, if not all. Keep going, they will get to you at some point either way
That's good to hear.

I'm in the same position!

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
If there's one thing you need when applying for a job on the railway it's patience! Took me 18 months from application to start date, gave up on it long before I finally got to do testing but once a that stage, even if there is a long pause, you won't usually be forgotten about.

Wincey123

Had an email on Saturday 4th feb giving me two options of interview dates for my DMI….I responded within 40 minutes accepting either date….it’s now 5 days before the suggested date and still no confirmation of the interview. Also haven’t had an email saying I wasn’t quick enough. Anyone had any response about DMIs for 14/15th? Seems odd to me that they’d leave it this late if I am being interviewed in 5 days…

Pendinas

Just got an email saying I failed the DMI I did a few days ago with TfW. I will probably apply again, however I have no idea why I failed as I thought the interview went really well. I got on really well with the interviewers (whilst staying professional), they seemed really impressed with my answers, and even said I answered everything really well. In the rejection email it gave generic feedback for what they were looking for, but literally all of the criteria were things I answered really well to.
I am perfectly willing to accept the rejection, however I cannot for the life of me think what went wrong as they seemed to really like me and seemed genuinely impressed with everything I had to say.
I'm not the sort of person to be optimistic after interviews, and after every stage in the process so far have been really doubtful I passed, but with the DMI I was really confident afterwards and was unable to second guess anything I did or said.
Does anybody have any advice/insight into what might have gone wrong, or if there might have been any factors outside of the interview that played a part?

Oldtimer82

sorry to hear, Where was the interview held for you, and what depot were you in for? as this can sway decisions regarding how many they require for the pools, Theres a lot of people coming through at the moment and it may only be that you did have a good interview but someone else managed to answer better than you, Dont get put down but use it as experience to go again.

Pendinas

Interview was at the depot. Depot was in Machynlleth so it is a small depot. Cannot imagine any positions opening up any time soon. If I were to nit-pick, I think maybe I focussed on my experiences which would make me really good for the role more than how much I do or do not love the railway? I would be willing to apply elsewhere, but considering that you need to live close by to a depot, and I wouldn't be able to apply for another six months (and second DMI another 3 months after that most likely), which is a huge dent in the time my tests are valid for, the odds are against it! But oh well, will keep plodding along!

Oldtimer82

Interview was at the depot. Depot was in Machynlleth so it is a small depot. Cannot imagine any positions opening up any time soon. If I were to nit-pick, I think maybe I focussed on my experiences which would make me really good for the role more than how much I do or do not love the railway? I would be willing to apply elsewhere, but considering that you need to live close by to a depot, and I wouldn't be able to apply for another six months (and second DMI another 3 months after that most likely), which is a huge dent in the time my tests are valid for, the odds are against it! But oh well, will keep plodding along!
Im sure it all depends on the Depot requirements, use the Next 6 months to brush up on application and go again, Are you able to relocate nearer another depot to get In with your current test results after 6 months is up, difficult to get opportunity as you say Mach is a small depot with little turnover, I know Interviews were held for Chester and north wales this week aswell, so they possibly wont be up for a few months at least again, if anyone has had results back from chester interview maybe they could share expenses with you, possibly your interview would have sailed through for a bigger depot like chester or cardiff.

Pendinas

Possibly! Problem, due to life things, I cannot relocate for just the possibility of a job. Then again quite a few people applied from hundreds of miles away for the Mach depot when I did, so maybe I could apply for a bigger depot and then relocate if I get the job (the managers in my interview suggested that is possible)

Diedinium

Possibly! Problem, due to life things, I cannot relocate for just the possibility of a job. Then again quite a few people applied from hundreds of miles away for the Mach depot when I did, so maybe I could apply for a bigger depot and then relocate if I get the job (the managers in my interview suggested that is possible)
It's definitely possible, I applied from Somerset to Shrewsbury depot and (to my surprise) got through, although I haven't got a position yet, just in the talent pool.

Once (or if) I have a start date I need to make sure I've relocated before that date is what I found out from asking during the interview, as I have to provide my home location upon starting, which needs to be within that 60 minute commute distance limit.

Badge3226

Sorry to hear mate. The way I look at it is that you may have given a fantastic interview, but 5 other people after you might have given a phenomenal interview after you... They may also have more experience regarding shift work, safety critical work or the railway in general which might have given the managers a bit more certainty in hiring them. Any other day, or for any other depot, or if there was a couple more vacancies then you might have comfortably said and done enough to get the job.

Don't take it personally or to heart and keep your chin up. To the best of my knowledge, your assessment/MMI passes are valid for 2 years with TFW and 5 with certain other TOCs/FOCs, so when you reapply make a mention of that and hopefully you can come into the process at a later stage...? I was successful on my second attempt having failed the group bourdon (dots) on my first attempt 4 years ago, as were many many people on here so it isn't over yet

Pendinas

Sorry to hear mate. The way I look at it is that you may have given a fantastic interview, but 5 other people after you might have given a phenomenal interview after you... They may also have more experience regarding shift work, safety critical work or the railway in general which might have given the managers a bit more certainty in hiring them. Any other day, or for any other depot, or if there was a couple more vacancies then you might have comfortably said and done enough to get the job.

Don't take it personally or to heart and keep your chin up. To the best of my knowledge, your assessment/MMI passes are valid for 2 years with TFW and 5 with certain other TOCs/FOCs, so when you reapply make a mention of that and hopefully you can come into the process at a later stage...? I was successful on my second attempt having failed the group bourdon (dots) on my first attempt 4 years ago, as were many many people on here so it isn't over yet

Yeah, this is all true, as it is a tiny depot. If it's a problem of experience, my current job is extremely dangerous and involves 14-18 hour shifts starting and ending at any time of day/night you could imagine, so I am assuming it is the lack of rail experience. One thing it might be is that in the interview I might have focussed too much on how I enjoy the skills required for the job rather than just outright saying I want to be a train driver. But anyway, yes... not over by a long shot! Do you think its worth mentioning that I've been for an interview before to show my dedication? As articulating my passion for the role itself is one thing I think I could improve on possibly? I'm not sure how to say why I want to be a train driver other than just I want to be a train driver and I really enjoy jobs which use the non-technical skills required.

Wincey123

Had an email on Saturday 4th feb giving me two options of interview dates for my DMI….I responded within 40 minutes accepting either date….it’s now 5 days before the suggested date and still no confirmation of the interview. Also haven’t had an email saying I wasn’t quick enough. Anyone had any response about DMIs for 14/15th? Seems odd to me that they’d leave it this late if I am being interviewed in 5 days…
One week on from invite date, no confirmation response and interview could be Tuesday, surely not…I am prepared but seems so odd

harleyluna

Just got an email saying I failed the DMI I did a few days ago with TfW. I will probably apply again, however I have no idea why I failed as I thought the interview went really well. I got on really well with the interviewers (whilst staying professional), they seemed really impressed with my answers, and even said I answered everything really well. In the rejection email it gave generic feedback for what they were looking for, but literally all of the criteria were things I answered really well to.
I am perfectly willing to accept the rejection, however I cannot for the life of me think what went wrong as they seemed to really like me and seemed genuinely impressed with everything I had to say.
I'm not the sort of person to be optimistic after interviews, and after every stage in the process so far have been really doubtful I passed, but with the DMI I was really confident afterwards and was unable to second guess anything I did or said.
Does anybody have any advice/insight into what might have gone wrong, or if there might have been any factors outside of the interview that played a part?
Hi , I got an email on Friday stating I'll be on the list for assessments , did you apply for the role in Sept/Oct for Machynlleth ? Thanks

Pendinas

Hi , I got an email on Friday stating I'll be on the list for assessments , did you apply for the role in Sept/Oct for Machynlleth ? Thanks
Did you apply back then, or did you apply to the most recent one a couple of weeks ago? I applied 28th November, but it seems they post jobs every couple of months, and it's a mystery with regards to some people waiting half a year before hearing back, and some people getting put on the very next lot of assessments. When my six months are up I'll see if there is another one I can re-interview for for in Mach, but if not I'll probably go for a bigger depot like Cardiff to get a better chance.

harleyluna

Did you apply back then, or did you apply to the most recent one a couple of weeks ago? I applied 28th November, but it seems they post jobs every couple of months, and it's a mystery with regards to some people waiting half a year before hearing back, and some people getting put on the very next lot of assessments. When my six months are up I'll see if there is another one I can re-interview for for in Mach, but if not I'll probably go for a bigger depot like Cardiff to get a better chance.
The most recent one , closing on the 6th of Feb. The one in November closed early but the Feb application went to the closing date which makes me think they haven't had enough applicants . What was the timeline from assessment email to the dmi like ? There's no chance of me relocating so if I don't get this one I'll just keep on trying .

Saxon79

Paper tests for me 20th February. 3rd time of trying to get a date but I've eventually got one. Replied in 10 minutes.

Baiton20

Hi all,

For those who have done the paper tests, and have been sent the practice booklet from TFW can you confirm if the tests in the book are the same, or similar on the day?

This forum mentions the group bourdon test (with the dots) and the dials test. Is the practice book more of a guide of what to expect?

Wincey123

Did you hear anything yet mate
Nope. No contact at all. Obviously don’t have an interview tomorrow but it would have been nice to be told. Will be using the extra time to revise even more but only so much you can do. Back to the waiting game. What stage you at?

Hi all,

For those who have done the paper tests, and have been sent the practice booklet from TFW can you confirm if the tests in the book are the same, or similar on the day?

This forum mentions the group bourdon test (with the dots) and the dials test. Is the practice book more of a guide of what to expect?
Stick to the booklet. They’re near enough the same or very similar. It prepared me perfectly.

Baiton20

Nope. No contact at all. Obviously don’t have an interview tomorrow but it would have been nice to be told. Will be using the extra time to revise even more but only so much you can do. Back to the waiting game. What stage you at?

Stick to the booklet. They’re near enough the same or very similar. It prepared me perfectly.
Great, thanks for the reply

Rigvon

Hi all,

They are pretty much the same. Dials are slightly different but same method. Just keep practicing them from the booklet.

kallyvintage

Paper tests for me 20th February. 3rd time of trying to get a date but I've eventually got one. Replied in 10 minutes.
Same here, what time are you doing it? 3rd or 4th time of trying for me, I replied within 5 minutes, luckily they sent it earlier than they 'usually' do otherwise I'd have missed it again due to work. I was in the kitchen about to head out and just so happened to check my emails.